Fletcher's at Golden Chick

DallasHorn26

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t mind overpaying for anything at the fair but $5 for a cornydog at a golden chick drive-thru seems a bit much.  a cheap dog and some cornmeal probably runs them about six cents.  it should be $1.99 tops. 

Sonic regularly has 50 cent corn dog days. 

23 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

I tried one yesterday at the Pearsall location. It only took 15 minutes in the drive through. Without being at the fair, it just wasn’t the same.

There was a homeless person trying to walk up to the drive thru when I went. It was almost like being at the fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Meh.  They are situationally good.  Like Salt Lick BBQ.  I love going out there.  Been going since I was in a stroller and both parents met at the same Co-Op in grad school.  It's a part of me.  But the food is "ok".  Outside of Driftwood, it's marginal BBQ when compared to the better places.

Same with Fletchers.  It's a staple of the fair, but outside of that, it's nothing special.  

Man, this is disappointing to read.  Was going to head to one here in Houston on Saturday morning.

Closest one is 11 miles away, I was ready to take a beer and some mustard packets and eat in my car to avoid losing the crispiness on the way home.

Guess I'll smoke some wings instead.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, Errestaurants said:

I'll go buy one if Jace Fletcher (Blonde) is serving them up

Screen-Shot-2019-03-06-at-10.03.jpg

Go to Corndog With No Name -- that's her restaurant over in Restaurant Row area of I-35/NW Highway interchange. Picked up some a few weeks back and they're damn good. She's quite rude.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, Brisketexan said:

Definitely part of my OU gameday routine.  Sausage and kraut klobasnek and a big cuppa coffee on the early morning drive up to Dallas.  Then whiskey over ice on the walk to the gate.  Then a corndog, boudin balls, and beer for breakfast.  More whiskey during the game.  Then after the game, some fried tamale balls, and another corn dog to point tauntingly at the Sooners.  Then a long, tired drive back home, with a giant regular coke, for the caffeine and sugar.  But at least two corn dogs must be consumed -- one pre and one post game.

After a victory a smoked turkey leg must be procured. Like the corn dog, it may also be used for pointing and taunting purposes. 

If you want something done right, you have to do it your gotdamned self.

I did a test run using recipe below and they were fucking great -- seriously on par with what you get at the Fair. Substituted regular milk for buttermilk since I didn't have any on hand. Also, from my limited research on this, you do not want to use stone ground corn meal because the batter will come out too thick/chunky.

image.png.5f2695d128a31323591d752a4a40b1cd.png

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/corn-dogs-recipe/

INGREDIENTS
For the batter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup buttermilk
For the corn dogs
10 hot dogs
10 popsicle or craft sticks
neutral flavored oil for frying such as canola oil or peanut oil

INSTRUCTIONS
For the batter
Place the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl. Stir to combine.
Add the egg, honey and buttermilk to the bowl. Stir until just combined. Chill the batter for at least 10 minutes.
For the corn dogs
Heat 4 inches of oil in a deep pot to 350 degrees F.
Insert the sticks about halfway into the hot dogs. Pat the hot dogs dry with a paper towel.
Pour the cornbread batter into a tall glass. Dip a hot dog all the way into the batter until it's coated, then transfer the hot dog to the pot of oil.
Cook the hot dog for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat the process with the remaining hot dogs and batter.
Drain the cooked corn dogs on paper towels, then serve.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Do not get the love for Fletcher's Corn Dogs at the Fair.

They are good but I have had frozen that are just as good.

Way overrated.

Simply awful opinions thread is right over there.   There is no way a frozen corn dog microwaved or oven heated at home is as good as a freshly fried Fletcher’s corn dog.

You ridiculous dude.  

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Do not get the love for Fletcher's Corn Dogs at the Fair.

They are good but I have had frozen that are just as good.

Way overrated.

Don't worry, everyone. I've seen this behavior in my kids before and I know how to handle it. 

Steamboat, I know that you are angry and sad. And it sounds like you're a little scared too. And it is OK to feel that way. The world does seem like a scary place right now. But let's think about healthy ways to express that anger and sadness. Lashing out and saying things that you don't mean is not the answer. Maybe let's take some deep breaths and think about our words. The words you just used were very hurtful to the people who care about you. What's a better way to express the emotions you're feeling right now?

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/7/2020 at 8:13 AM, deadshank said:

Simply awful opinions thread is right over there.   There is no way a frozen corn dog microwaved or oven heated at home is as good as a freshly fried Fletcher’s corn dog.

You ridiculous dude.  

gotta go with the air fryer.  frozen in the air fryer for a few minutes is very good.  especially when you're paying $8 for like 20. 

Gotta be careful with the air fryer. The batter can get a bit too crispy by the time the hot dog is hot. I found microwaving for 30-40 seconds, then finish in the air fryer for 4 or 5 minutes turns out pretty well.

YMMV.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 11 months later...

New version at the Fair. 

Fletcher’s Original Corny Dogs have gone spicy, and the State Fair of Texas may never be the same.

Besides the nearly-80-year tradition of regular corny dogs, Fletcher’s will offer six varieties including a new “Dallas Hot” dog stuffed with mac-and-cheese, fried jalapenos and Cholula hot sauce.

The price is $10. (Tickets for the Sept. 24-Oct. 17 fair cost $10 and up, if you’re already planning a corny dog run to Fair Park.)

The Dallas Hot is a turkey dog battered with spicy cornmeal, split lengthwise like a hot dog bun and then loaded with peppery goodness.

It’ll be available at one Fletcher’s stand: the “retro” concession trailer on the northeast edge of the Midway, a section called the “Thrillway.”

It’s the first time Fletcher’s has ever used a different batter for any of its corny dogs since their 1942 debut. It’s also the first Fletcher’s dog that isn’t delivered on a stick.

Fletcher’s is also offering a new brisket-blend all-beef dog this year, the “Make Mine Texan” ($10).

The rest of the menu includes the regular dog ($7), a jalapeno-cheese sausage dog ($8), the turkey dog ($7), a veggie dog ($7) and a cheese dog ($6).

The State Fair of Texas is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, until 10 p.m. weekends. It’s at Fair Park, 3921 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Dallas; 214-565-9931, bigtex.com.

spacer.png