Anybody that works on their own cars needs to read this

Gil Bang

https://jalopnik.com/automaker-funded-groups-are-using-fear-mongering-to-tak-1844921369?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

here's a snip:

If you don’t live in Massachusetts, which most of us don’t—a good thing because it’s not exactly a roomy state—then you likely haven’t seen the commercials aiming to persuade people to vote “no” on Massachusetts Question 1, the “Right to Repair Law” Vehicle Data Access Requirement Initiative. I’m going to say it’s a good thing these ads haven’t crawled across your screen because they are absolute fear-mongering bullshit, funded by almost all of the major automakers currently selling in America. Their goal is to make it impossible for individuals or independent shops to repair cars.

• Hook 'Em 5

The TADA is the most comically inept and archaic organization left in this state, and that's fucking saying something considering we still have TABC.  

csb/ I made some snide remarks at a panel hosted by them a few years ago in San Antonio and the group hosting the overall conference banned me for five years.  It gets lifted next year, just in time for me to shit in bucket and send it to them marked "from Tesla"  It's a fucking cartel that doesn't even let people get high. 

10 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Yeah they mention it at the bottom of the article. Owners can’t get access to software.

farmers have been hackers for awhile. if i remember correctly they have to install russian software in order for their tractors and shit to run.

yea fuck john deere.

36 minutes ago, drt said:

John Deere did this as well iirc

The part of my family still doing the farming thing has sworn off newer John Deere tractors because of this bullshit, and apparently there is a pretty healthy, albeit high-priced market for older JD equipment.

It pisses me off, and I avoided going into the family agricultural business and don't even own anything JD-related, outside of some dealership caps from when I was a kid.  John Deere lost an amazing amount of goodwill they had built up over generations with family farmers.  And the leadership of JD gives no fucks.

Edited by atomheartbevo

replaced the left rear tail light bulb on my 2020 pickup on Tuesday.  Had my fingers crossed that it would not require some bitchass tool that cost more than the required bulb.  It did not. @jetrink, your scenario is exactly what i feared.

I don't blame people for driving around their old ass vehicles upon which they can still perform basic maintenance

Oh and Farmers are some of the most ingenious improvisational engineers on the planet..

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

https://jalopnik.com/automaker-funded-groups-are-using-fear-mongering-to-tak-1844921369?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

here's a snip:

If you don’t live in Massachusetts, which most of us don’t—a good thing because it’s not exactly a roomy state—then you likely haven’t seen the commercials aiming to persuade people to vote “no” on Massachusetts Question 1, the “Right to Repair Law” Vehicle Data Access Requirement Initiative. I’m going to say it’s a good thing these ads haven’t crawled across your screen because they are absolute fear-mongering bullshit, funded by almost all of the major automakers currently selling in America. Their goal is to make it impossible for individuals or independent shops to repair cars.

I work for an insurance company and manage our repair program for 7 counties and have some insight into this. It is getting to the point where automakers only want you to work on their vehicles if you are a certified shop. So Clintonaldo, what does it take to be certified. Well, it will take a body shop paying $10-20,000 a year to be certified and a lot of places cannot and will not do that. It’s a fucking scam. 

1 hour ago, B00M said:

This is already a problem but our children will be completely unable to build anything substantial. It's hilarious how far removed we are from the engineers that landed men on the moon fabricating many of their own parts.

Yes and no. With the rise of open source software, cheap hardware like the arduino and  raspberry pi, 3D printing, etc... people can make some amazing shit. But figuring out how to put all the pieces together requires technical aptitude most people simply don't have, and aren't willing to learn. Even if they have the knowledge and resources to build their own shit, they likely don't have the time, so people buy off the shelf.

But I deal with a lot of  automation system integrators and custom machine builders and I am constantly amazed at the shit they figure out how to build. One of my customers is part of a Hutterite farming community. When they first contacted me, they couldn't download our software because the internet aint cool with their way of life, so I had to mail them a flash drive. But they still utilize technology, and they create a lot of what they need. This guy reverse engineered the communications protocol of some  temperature/humidity sensors used in their grain silos so that he could use our software rather than the proprietary software the sensor company was charging a pretty penny for. That was like 5 years ago. Every year or so, he calls me up with a new project that he is tackling, and this week it involves automating diesel gen sets on their farm, and he's building his own radio network. Dude's crazy fucking smart, but it wouldn't shock me if he has never spent much time off that colony. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm a millennial so I don't know how to put a car on cinderblocks or bust my knuckles on engines while drinking pull tab, pearl in a can, but I did grow up learning at least how to change a tire and change a battery, back when they cost $40.

The first time I tried to change my own battery in a newer car and realized I had to take out half the parts to get the old one out and a new one in so I had to take it in to get done was when I saw the writing on the wall. This is why I now drive a Cadillac despite not being in the Cadillac demographic. The service is phenomenal and up to 50k, bumper to bumper anything you could possibly need, it's free. Up to 80k miles for power train it's free, and up to 90k with emission stuff it's free. I typically keep cars for about 60-80k miles, so it works for me.

And the service is white glove treatment, you get a nice loaner anytime you need it, and you never have to fret.

Edited by Rougarou

This is already a problem but our children will be completely unable to build anything substantial. It's hilarious how far removed we are from the engineers that landed men on the moon fabricating many of their own parts.

Uhhhh...you know we're fixing to go to Mars, right?

farmers have been hackers for awhile. if i remember correctly they have to install russian software in order for their tractors and shit to run.
yea fuck john deere.

Yep. Probably hacked from a legit tractor ECM and repurposed.

...apparently there is a pretty healthy, albeit high-priced market for older JD equipment.

There is. A big contributor to that is all the pollution scrubbers they gotta hang on new diesel engines to meet emissions requirements. It adds $30k to the price, and those components are not reliable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes but that is less about repairs than it is accessing the goodies that weren’t paid for, at least is their argument.   1 platform, with your options available to you.  More $$$, more options are unlocked out of the system. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-05/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-800-000-tractor

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Yeah I’ve read all that and get it. One of my best friends is 7 figures deep in shiny new green equipment.  Anecdotal, but he was a lot more pissed about the fact he couldn’t unlock the shit he didn’t pay for. Warranty takes care of the other shit, and they flip the shit out of them like well insured farmers do.  It is funny though, you couldn’t buy his 4440’s if you tried. Not for sale. 

1 hour ago, jettrink said:

Try changing something as simple as a fucking turn signal bulb.  $200+ at the dealer or disassembly your car.  For a bulb!

the best is how they make things to fail such that it is a 500.00 to a grand to change a 20 dollar part.

had Fusion that had sensor go out so the AC was running like shit.  the sensor is under the dash right near the windshield.  700.00 at the dealer to replace 20.00 part because you have to take out the dash.  did it with a youtube video where didn't have to remove the entire dash but someone who doesn't want to deal with it is 700.00.  there is no reason the sensor has to be there.

have Ford Expedition with dual climate.  one of the blend door actuators starts clicking loud. thing is under the dash under the center console and the only way to replace is remove the dash. 900.00. the gear is plastic and the teeth break. fucking make it out of metal and charge me 100.00 more for the car.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I’ve read all that and get it. One of my best friends is 7 figures deep in shiny new green equipment.  Anecdotal, but he was a lot more pissed about the fact he couldn’t unlock the shit he didn’t pay for. Warranty takes care of the other shit, and they flip the shit out of them like well insured farmers do.  It is funny though, you couldn’t buy his 4440’s if you tried. Not for sale. 

My uncle gets at least two offers a month on his (originally my grandpa's) 4440.   It's to the point where he parks it at the back of the barn so it can't be seen from the road, but then people will occasionally stop in and make offers on other equipment, see it, and make an offer on it as well, and they ask about any junked equipment he has, parts, etc.

And these aren't locals that have known he (and my grandpa before) and knew he had this stuff, it's folks from out of the county, and once in a blue moon, somebody from Texas or Kansas (they are in Oklahoma).  And quite a few are offering cash.   Some of them seem to be other farmers, but he's gotten pretty good at spotting the flippers.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Uhhhh...you know we're fixing to go to Mars, right?

When? We've had the technology we needed to colonize to Mars for decades. Anyway, this thread is about fixing cars and young people just don't do it at the scale of boomers or Xs. I'm a millenial and a gear head but Rougarou is representative of millenials and Zs. 

Edited by B00M

Well, even before all this proprietary shit, it's all the gotdam eeeelectronics.

You're far more likely to have to replace some friggin sensor or servo than a water pump or bearing these days.

Of course, it's the gotdam eeeelectronics that make the damn things go like hell on a 2 liter four banger that gets 30 mpg.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That's why I am never getting rid of my 99 civic. 

I do all the maintenance. Thanks Chiltons.

I also have an 07 Dodge Ram with a lifetime power train warranty, so I never have to worry about major repairs. I can handle everything else on it. 

Edited by SA-KC_Horn
Free NowThis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, even before all this proprietary shit, it's all the gotdam eeeelectronics.

You're far more likely to have to replace some friggin sensor or servo than a water pump or bearing these days.

Of course, it's the gotdam eeeelectronics that make the damn things go like hell on a 2 liter four banger that gets 30 mpg.

+ rep for eeeeeelectronics.  I don't exactly know what that means, but as stated above, I'm getting a bit tipsy and it sounds kinda funny.

In 1999, my 1987 Accord had the heater core go bad.  Didn't start leaking, but a baffle broke loose inside and "plugged" it up.  Only got about 90% heat, which is insufficient in North Dakota 10 months of the year.  Car was "totalled" I was quoted $500 labor to pull the entire dash out and install a $50 heater core.  Wasn't gonna do that on a $1800 car, so I drove it for a winter, froze my butt off and gave it to the neighbor kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

real get-off-my-lawn moment, but do you remember when engine bays looked like this?

TE71_2T-GEU.jpg

i remmeber swapping my alternators in a parking lot on west campus and it took me all of 15 minutes to do.

and now they look this this.  i wouldnt bother trying to wrench shit in here

6-toyota-camry-2019-fd-engine.jpg?itok=6

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It’s not as bad as it looks. Just more shit to pull out of the way.  The wife’s Yukon is around 250, and I’m pushing 300.  Hers always has some dinky shit needing replaced. Mine is finally starting to show some wear on the steering components and has a coolant drip I’m going to take care of when the blast furnace turns off.  Feel like Rockauto #1 customer sometimes.  Luckily it’s all been easy stuff that’s gone waaaay past what it normally does.  Much better than a few payments. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

" wow.  Open access to every spark plug.  So irresponsible.  ."- every manufacturer today.

Yeah. I owned a 1970 Chevy Nova and you could stand in the engine well with your feet on the ground to work on the engine. Good times.

Clean the bugs out of the massive air filter, Wire brush to clean the points, good to go!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah. I owned a 1970 Chevy Nova and you could stand in the engine well with your feet on the ground to work on the engine. Good times.

Clean the bugs out of the massive air filter, Wire brush to clean the points, good to go!

Was it 'Crappy Blue', Achmel?  Achwell?  Foley.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

In 1999, my 1987 Accord had the heater core go bad.  Didn't start leaking, but a baffle broke loose inside and "plugged" it up.  Only got about 90% heat, which is insufficient in North Dakota 10 months of the year.  Car was "totalled" I was quoted $500 labor to pull the entire dash out and install a $50 heater core.  Wasn't gonna do that on a $1800 car, so I drove it for a winter, froze my butt off and gave it to the neighbor kid.

My parents had an Accord of about the same vintage, either 1987 or 1988.  That had to be the most reliable car ever mass-produced; freaking thing was awesome.

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You could about get in there in my 69 Delta 88.  And that was a 455.

this why I will keep my '76 Bronco as DD option. Even I can fix it.

this is more than a Farmer and Consumer issue...the Military is fucked by this as well. the old "Motor Pool" is mostly contractors and not the actual MIL fixing their own equipment. So we are paying double for the same work and it comes with limitations, like not being in theater. 

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/even-the-american-military-is-struggling-with-right-to-1841531517

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I'm a millennial so I don't know how to put a car on cinderblocks or bust my knuckles on engines while drinking pull tab, pearl in a can, but I did grow up learning at least how to change a tire and change a battery, back when they cost $40.

The first time I tried to change my own battery in a newer car and realized I had to take out half the parts to get the old one out and a new one in so I had to take it in to get done was when I saw the writing on the wall. This is why I now drive a Cadillac despite not being in the Cadillac demographic. The service is phenomenal and up to 50k, bumper to bumper anything you could possibly need, it's free. Up to 80k miles for power train it's free, and up to 90k with emission stuff it's free. I typically keep cars for about 60-80k miles, so it works for me.

And the service is white glove treatment, you get a nice loaner anytime you need it, and you never have to fret.

Cadillac doesn't have a demographic anymore, unfortunately. People think it's olds, but the cars are wholly unsuitable for the Cadillac driver of old.*

*Going on 10th year of Cadillac ownership, 30th if you tack on my parents.  My parents would not like my last two cars.

Also, while places like Sewell Village Cadillac pioneered the "white glove" service experience, it's pretty common everywhere now, at least a decent dealers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My parents had an Accord of about the same vintage, either 1987 or 1988.  That had to be the most reliable car ever mass-produced; freaking thing was awesome.

Not trying to derail, but I'm the exception that proves the rule.  IIRC my accord was 87.  And it was easily the worst car I've ever owned.  What a fucking POS. OI wouldn't wish that car on my worst enemy.  

Edited by Gil Bang

20 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Those fucking Honda’s were nails. Honda made 3 of the best daily driver engines you could buy for almost 20 years