Home VoIP experiences?

Horny04

Wife is insisting on getting a home phone line because neither of us have great cell phone reception in our house. We have had issues contacting babysitters in the past while out, and now that our kids are distance learning with a teacher she's panicked that she'll be unable to reach someone in an emergency.

I have Xfinity internet but their "triple play" option is overkill. I stream everything and don't need physical TV boxes or channels etc, and phone packages only come with TV and internet bundled.

I've been looking into home VoIP options but most reviews seem to be at least 4 years old. The Ooma Telo seems like a good option from what I've read.

We have a UPS that backs up all our router/modem/home networking hardware as well as a whole house generator that kicks in within 30 seconds of a power outage, so I realize that VoIP is limited if power goes out, but as long as our cable internet is running we shouldn't have interruptions of service.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Ooma is simple and works, used in past, but hated the "lag" effect of Voip.  Lag isn't a show stopper but felt conversations felt like walkie-talkie ish having to pause between each side talking

Ended up getting a network extender from Verizon to improve my cell reception.  Worked well enough for us to no longer want the Voip option.

Why don't you just switch cell providers? Cell companies are always looking to steal customers from competitors and have deals for such.

I would ask neighbors to see which cell company works best in your neck of the woods and then switch. That's the lease painful path.

Pros:

- Prob get cheaper plan

- New phones for cheap?

- Better home connection

- No incremental cost for landline

- No having to set up separate VOIP service

- FU to your current shitty provider

- Phone numbers are seamlessly ported with no issues

- Don't have to worry about UPS backup because power outages should NEVER take out cell networks. (Too much redundancy built into the buildings and network)

Cons:

- You have to talk to your neighbors

- You have to make a few calls or visit a store and talk to people

- If you are anti-mask, doing the above may get you infamous if you cause a scene over ma'rights

Edited by crash_davis

I work from home, and spend a fair amount of time on the phone w/ clients, and prefer a traditional speakerphone over a cell phone. 

Have a Polycom VVX-501 voip office speaker phone (hardwired into network, but, you can use it wirelessly via a usb adapter), and an Obi202 box for my existing Panny cordless phones in my home office.  Both running over Voip.ms/ AT&T internet.

Couple of minor settings with my router to figure out, but, everything is rocking.  Monthly bill has been averaging about $15/ month total with all the minutes I use, voicemail, etc.  There's a ton of things you can do w/ the system.  Service has been rock solid.

I just switched my cell provider from Sprint/T-mobile to Verizon, which is the best in our neighborhood.  I get a signal on 1st and 2nd floor, basement is a no-go.  So if I'm in basement, I'm unreachable (workout room down there, tv, kids playroom).

No telling what carriers our babysitters will have in future.

Won't be a primary use phone so a little lag is no big deal.  Just need bare bones functionality and ability to place a handset on each floor.

No lag at all on my setup- either through the Polycom or the Obi.  If you have cordless phones that work all over your house, they'll still work.  You would need an obi or ooma-type box, ($40 or $50 on amazon) and a service to drive it (think you may be even able to use google voice w/ the Obi for free- as they are related).  Plug your cordless base into the obi box, configure, and you're golden.

Another possible solution- if you have Verizon, are you using wifi calling?  It's free if you phones are compatible w/ it.  Just have to turn it on.

Verizon Wifi Calling Faq

Wi-Fi Calling lets you make and receive voice and video calls over a Wi-Fi connection instead of using your cellular connection. If you have a Wi-Fi connection and are in an area where voice service is weak or unavailable, use Wi-Fi calling to continue making voice calls.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Horny04 said:

I just switched my cell provider from Sprint/T-mobile to Verizon, which is the best in our neighborhood.  I get a signal on 1st and 2nd floor, basement is a no-go.  So if I'm in basement, I'm unreachable (workout room down there, tv, kids playroom).

No telling what carriers our babysitters will have in future.

Won't be a primary use phone so a little lag is no big deal.  Just need bare bones functionality and ability to place a handset on each floor.

2 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Another possible solution- if you have Verizon, are you using wifi calling?  It's free if you phones are compatible w/ it.  Just have to turn it on.

Verizon Wifi Calling Faq

Wi-Fi Calling lets you make and receive voice and video calls over a Wi-Fi connection instead of using your cellular connection. If you have a Wi-Fi connection and are in an area where voice service is weak or unavailable, use Wi-Fi calling to continue making voice calls.

Correct. Most newer (since 2017ish) phones have wifi calling capability. As long as anyone in your house has a newer phone and has access to your wifi network, s/he should be able to call and text.

But it sounds like you just want the security of a landline. Most internet + TV packages include landline in the bundle. I'd see what ISP is avail in your hood and see what they offer.

4 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Or if you have an old smartphone just install the google voice app. Tell the babysitter to keep it with her at all times and answer it at all times.  

The issue with Google Voice and some VOIP services is 911. Traditional phone numbers are tied to a home address. VOIP numbers are usually not. Dialing 911 in an emergency on a VOIP line may delay emergency response to the residence if the person calling is unable to communicate address.

On 9/3/2020 at 1:15 PM, LosIllini said:

Verizon Wifi Calling Faq

This, just have a phone/plan that supports wifi calling. I use Google Fi and it defaults to using wifi for calls if I have a good enough connection. Seems the best and easiest way to solve the problem.