It's Been 15 Years

ztejas

The 5-man backfield of Melton, Selvin Young, Taylor, Charles, and Vince Young.  If Ramonce doesn't get into so much trouble, all 5 would have played substantial downs in the NFL (Melton at DL obviously).  But what a running game.  5 guys who could beat you 5 different ways, over and over and over again.  Nevermind the OL and WR/TE corps, that backfield was just ridiculous.  Didn't matter if was empty-set, 1, 2, or 3 guys, no matter the formation---everybody involved could absolutely destroy you with their legs.  And oh yeah---the "5th string RB" was Ogbonnaya who eventually goes on to play 6 seasons in the NFL as well.  My god, those were the days...

5 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

That defensive backfield too. Two different Jim Thorpe award winners in Aaron Ross and Huff Daddy. Plus Cedric and Michael Griffin just because. 

I was just about to say, two Thorpe award winners, and Michael griffin easily had the best career out of all those guys. Also don’t forget about Tarrell Brown from that group of DBs. Another long career in the NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

The OL was stout as fuck too, a lot of those guys went on to the NFL. Blalock/Sendlein had long and successful NFL careers. It's a miracle Colt was able to carry the 2009 team to the championship game with no legitimate running back and a bunch of soft, patsy ass choir boys such as Chris Hall, Charlie Tanner, Mason Walters, Adam Ulatoski and Michael Huey holding down the line. The only player out of that group to even get a tryout in the NFL was Ulatoski they were fucking putrid. Really makes you appreciate how good that line was back in 2005.

Edited by Chad

9 minutes ago, Chad said:

The OL was stout as fuck too, a lot of those guys went on to the NFL. Blalock/Sendlein had long and successful NFL careers. It's a miracle Colt was able to carry the 2009 team to the championship game with no legitimate running back and a bunch of soft, patsy ass choir boys such as Chris Hall, Charlie Tanner, Mason Walters, Adam Ulatoski and Michael Huey holding down the line. The only player out of that group to even get a tryout in the NFL was Ulatoski they were fucking putrid. Really makes you appreciate how good that line was back in 2005.

The 09 D was fucking saaaaalty though. We needed a little less on O that season than we did in 08. Prob better than 05 - although the secondary in 05 was better.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The 09 D was fucking saaaaalty though. We needed a little less on O that season than we did in 08. Prob better than 05 - although the secondary in 05 was better.

It really was, the 09 defense was better than 05's. The 09 team had a deep defensive line and like you mentioned the secondary was really good too, it didn't even matter that Gideon was starting because Curtis/Chykie Brown, Earl Thomas and Aaron Williams compensated for that.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

24 players off that 2005 roster at least had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Crazy.

I'm getting more than that...this list could be longer depending on how a cup of coffee is defined- Marcus Griffin- UFA, cut a month later etc

V. Young, S. Young, Rod Wright, Dave Thomas, L Sweed, K Studdard,  J Shipley, A Ross, B Robison, Orakpo, Okam, Ogbonnaya, Muckelroy, Roy Miller, Henry Melton,  Colt McCoy, D Lokey, M Huff, T Hills, Ahmad Hall, Michael Griffin, Ced Griffin, Jermichael Finley, Tim Crowder, Quan Cosby, Jamaal Charles, Tarell Brown, Justin Blalock

I waited from 1984 until 2005 for the first one in my Longhorn fandom life. It felt like forever and it was so disappointing to lose that first game of the year every time. We played for it in 2010 so for the first 5 years of disappointment the sting was reduced by it only being 5 years. The clock started back when Charlie's terrible years started to feel like the late 80's. Now it just feel like the Mackovic years with Tom. Some good things but some very bad things that Tom just like Mackovic is beyond resolving to get us to the promise land. Mackovic was his stubbornness on defense while Tom's problem seems to be arrogance and maturity that keep him from getting done what needs to be done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I randomly looked it up the other day and the last time we truly beat the piss out of OU was in 2005 and it was pretty sobering. Hopefully we can not only win but fuck them up somethin serious this year, because this is our best chance in a long while. 

Edited by TankedBevo

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm getting more than that...this list could be longer depending on how a cup of coffee is defined- Marcus Griffin- UFA, cut a month later etc

V. Young, S. Young, Rod Wright, Dave Thomas, L Sweed, K Studdard,  J Shipley, A Ross, B Robison, Orakpo, Okam, Ogbonnaya, Muckelroy, Roy Miller, Henry Melton,  Colt McCoy, D Lokey, M Huff, T Hills, Ahmad Hall, Michael Griffin, Ced Griffin, Jermichael Finley, Tim Crowder, Quan Cosby, Jamaal Charles, Tarell Brown, Justin Blalock

I just took Wiki at its word... on the page about the 2005 UT season.

My mistake, for sure.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

The 5-man backfield of Melton, Selvin Young, Taylor, Charles, and Vince Young. 

The funny part was we went into that year wondering how we were ever going to replace Cedric Benson and thinking the running game might take a step back. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTY WHORE MOU-   .....woah, sorry. 

wound still hasn't healed...

It never will. I don't think I ever enjoyed a one loss season less. ESPN selecting Barry Switzer to announce OU had beaten us off the field after we beat them on the field was probably the most humiliating moment in program history, and we once lost to UCLA by 63 and the equivalent of a JV high school team at Kansas.

At least it ended well in the Fiesta Bowl and OU choked again. That was a little consolation.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It never will. I don't think I ever enjoyed a one loss season less. ESPN selecting Barry Switzer to announce OU had beaten us off the field after we beat them on the field was probably the most humiliating moment in program history, and we once lost to UCLA by 63 and the equivalent of a JV high school team at Kansas.

At least it ended well in the Fiesta Bowl and OU choked again. That was a little consolation.

We could probably claim that title if we wanted to. Aggy would try to. 

But we can't let the BCS win like that. They need to know they fucked up. Forever. 

49 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I wouldn’t term that ‘humiliating’, but it was a massive gut punch. We were shit in 1997 and in 2016, so while those individual losses sucked those seasons weren’t going anywhere anyway.

We were the best team in the country in 2008.