Austin PD may go under Texas DPS.

atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

Well this is about RESPECTING their police departments, not actual good policing. So that's why wilco wasn't addressed. 

Their brutality against the citizens is a feature, not a bug. And Austin is going the wrong direction apparently

Austin has been there since I was in St. Edward's High School.

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

My recollection of the Texas Constitution is that it was drafted to be extremely weak by ex confederates who wanted to keep the central government weak and power out of the hands of carpetbaggers or whatever.

If this does happen, absolutely all hell will break loose.

Au contraire.... the State of Texas is a Unitary form of government. All power is allocated by the State to the counties & incorporated cities/towns.

What the State giveth, the State can take away. If the State wants to revoke Austin’s charter, it can do so....and could set up a Capital district like Washington  DC.

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

The highest ranking official of one of the two major parties within this state is proposing legislation whereby the State would take over the law enforcement activities within a locality. The party to which that official belongs espouses local control as one of its core beliefs. Yeah, Gil Bang put a label to that party and called out the obvious hypocrisy.

You, on the other hand, respond with an affirmative statement that the other party is in favor of murder. Name a single official of that other party who has ever stated, "I am for murder in Portland." Defend that statement or be proven a liar.

This does belong in the CR, but you've demonstrated a willingness to exchange partisan ideas and bias outside of it now. So, I fully expect that you'll be willing to discuss your statement with evidence in the appropriate place when this thread is relocated. If not, I can only assume that you are a full-of-shit coward.

You misunderstood my statement because your head’s so far up your own leftist ass.  My comment was purposefully asinine.  I made a sweeping generalization to point out how fucking idiotic @Gil Bang’s post was.  You self-congratulating idiots can’t understand that because you’re all too busy back slapping each other telling each other what great human beings you are.  

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Au contraire.... the State of Texas is a Unitary form of government. All power is allocated by the State to the counties & incorporated cities/towns.

What the State giveth, the State can take away. If the State wants to revoke Austin’s charter, it can do so....and could set up a Capital district like Washington  DC.

This is true, and so is Celery's, to the extent you consider that the power is given to the Legislature and not to the Governor.

Texas is a weak-governor state for the reasons cited by Celery.  And, that is actually probably overall a good thing.  The executive is a bit of a firewall against mob rule by the legislature.  On the other hand, an individual with a lot of power can be dangerous.

11 hours ago, Captainant said:

Well this is about RESPECTING their police departments, not actual good policing. So that's why wilco wasn't addressed. 

Their brutality against the citizens is a feature, not a bug. And Austin is going the wrong direction apparently

And it really is that simple.

On the one hand, we have a city that is responding to the demands of its citizens in how it manages its PD.  On the other, we have a sheriff's department that purposefully initiates deadly chases and violent assaults of citizens, including domestic assault VICTIMS, because they are billy badasses and hey, that makes for good TV.   And the city PD....that's the problem that requires the governor to step in.

Bad policing and beatings and murders of citizens are a FEATURE of policing in Texas, not a bug.  I've said it before, and now that leadership is echoing it, I'll say it again -- we are in the shitpile we're in because we WANT it that way.  This is what we've chosen.

Abbott, Patrick, and Paxton are panicked because they are starting to realize Texas is about to slip away from them and they are doing everything they can to hold onto their power and be a minority rule state. They arent interested in changing with the populace. They arent interested in governing for the people. They are interested in maintaining power and control. It burns Abbott to no end that every single major city in Texas is run by Democrats. He used to run to Dallas and Houston whenever Austin was going left on him. But he can no longer do that. Its now the People's Republic of Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Fuck you Governor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I didn't misunderstand a thing. Your retort was asinine because it had no relationship to reality while his pointed to the fundamental hypocrisy of a governor from a party, whose platform traditionally embraces the decentralization of government, threatening to impose State police enforcement over a local municipality because he doesn't agree with that locality's policy.

In other words, Gil's statement was a poignant pin prick that burst the bubble of a foundational belief for a party. Yours, on the other hand, had no basis in reality and only revealed yourself to be a butthurt bitch.

Whatever cocksucker.  You’ve been added to ignore with the rest of the low brain power dipshits.  🤡 

• Fuck You 8

Just now, phdhorn said:

DPS has cooler unis anyway, cowboy hats and all.  I'm for it.

Umm....back in the day, I handled some disputes among DPS officers, and saw the inside story of how they deal with each other, their culture, etc..  And of course the ones who "guard" the capitol sit in their car and watch videos, and don't even notice the Governor's Mansion on fire.  You don't want APD to have anything to do with that agency.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Umm....back in the day, I handled some disputes among DPS officers, and saw the inside story of how they deal with each other, their culture, etc..  And of course the ones who "guard" the capitol sit in their car and watch videos, and don't even notice the Governor's Mansion on fire.  You don't want APD to have anything to do with that agency.

Sorry, those are cool hats.  Bring it on!

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean.....we've made major governmental decisions for reasons much stupider than that, so I wish I could argue with you further.....but I can't.

That's why I live in Bee Cave.  Here, we go by how cool the SUV's are.  They're cool.
(obviously now it's clear that I don't much care, and it's not going to happen anyway, lot of hooey 'bout 'nuthin'.)

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

I’d go even further and say it’s just posturing and throwing red meat to the base. I got 5 on it that they don’t actually try to go through with this

Its almost certainly this.  Shit, they're worried about even holding the House.  They know that their days of being able to ramrod shit through because it riles up the base cuz "fuck Austin!" may be numbered.....but they'll still play the hits.

Edited by Brisketexan

19 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yup, talk big, do nothing.  All hat and no cattle, if you will.  That’s our state government.

It's called "electioneering," (i.e. spouting b.s. so your voting homies are secured).  There's an election coming up, so I hear.

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Everything about this post is dead wrong.  Home-rule cities get their authority from the Constitution, not from the Legislature.  The Legislature can impose restrictions on home-rule cities, but absent a specific legislative restriction, home-rule cities have full powers of self-government.

And no--the Legislature cannot revoke Austin's charter.  

As an aside, it is really annoying when people just make shit up and say it authoritatively.  

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I’d go even further and say it’s just posturing and throwing red meat to the base. I got 5 on it that they don’t actually try to go through with this

And that's really the bottom line.  There's no way this gets through the Legislature, even if the Republicans somehow hold the House.  Fuck--it wouldn't event get out of committee, if it were even introduced as a bill at all.

This session is about two things: 1) the budget disaster, and 2) redistricting.  That's it.  There will be some other shit here and there, but that's all they're going to have time for.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

The OP is a tweet from the Governor about a political issue. This thread is in the wrong location. 

Absorbing a municipal police department by a state agency is a policy issue. That it was politically-motivated doesn't mean it doesn't have policy implications. 

Edit: typed absolve. meant absorb. i'm dumb

Edited by irishtexan

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Absolving a municipal police department by a state agency is a policy issue. That it was politically-motivated doesn't mean it doesn't have policy implications. 

Policy is politics. Arguing otherwise is absurd. 

The reason politics exist is to affect policy. Politics are the only way to affect policy. Discussing policy is literally the foundation of politics.

Edited by Huckleberry

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

The OP is a tweet from the Governor about a political issue. This thread is in the wrong location. 

It's not a political issue.  Nor is it a policy issue.  It's a deluded-rantings-of-an-idiot-who-can't-even-get-the-Legislature-to-pass-his-actual-legislative-agenda issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Policy is politics. Arguing otherwise is absurd. 

The reason politics exist is to affect policy. Politics are the only way to affect policy. 

I mean, yeah. Duh. But there is a distinction between politics and policy, and traditionally this board was meant to discuss the impact of current events and legislation on the general public. The politics board is my team vs. your team bullshit.

Admittedly when things have devolved to the point that the legislative body is exclusively motivated by politics and with an irresponsible disregard for the "greater good" impact on said general public, or the fucking law, it makes objective discussions a little more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Everything about this post is dead wrong.  Home-rule cities get their authority from the Constitution, not from the Legislature.  The Legislature can impose restrictions on home-rule cities, but absent a specific legislative restriction, home-rule cities have full powers of self-government.

And no--the Legislature cannot revoke Austin's charter.  

As an aside, it is really annoying when people just make shit up and say it authoritatively.  

And that's really the bottom line.  There's no way this gets through the Legislature, even if the Republicans somehow hold the House.  Fuck--it wouldn't event get out of committee, if it were even introduced as a bill at all.

This session is about two things: 1) the budget disaster, and 2) redistricting.  That's it.  There will be some other shit here and there, but that's all they're going to have time for.

Excuse me, but the Home Rule Amendment of 1912 setup for cities was crafted by the legislature and approved by popular vote. The legislature can propose a revised amendment for voter approval which could provide for such action. The mechanism & power is there.
Not to mention that the state holds preemption status over city actions.

Nowhere did I say it was going to happen, but it could.

18 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Excuse me, but the Home Rule Amendment of 1912 setup for cities was crafted by the legislature and approved by popular vote. The legislature can propose a revised amendment for voter approval which could provide for such action. The mechanism & power is there.
Not to mention that the state holds preemption status over city actions.

Nowhere did I say it was going to happen, but it could.

He was in the room where it happened!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

My comment was purposefully asinine.  I made a sweeping generalization to point out how fucking idiotic @Gil Bang’s post was.

it would seem based on the rnc that your comment is the central campaign theme for the republican candidate for potus so...

wait.

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

It's called "electioneering," (i.e. spouting b.s. so your voting homies are secured).  There's an election coming up, so I hear.

in over two years.

I'm just pondering whether policing will be better or worse with the state controlling city law enforcement.

Personally, i’ve always had better interactions with DPS after being pulled over than APD. At least with the former they’re typically professional and I don’t feel like I might get tased by an asshole.

However, this is still a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Crime rate in general is bad.  Austin ranks among the worst nationally for both violent and property crime right now.  I don't really give a fuck if APD gets cleaned up or DPS takes over, so long as someone does something to slow this shit down.

Yes, the homicide rate increase from that WSJ article showed was the highest among the 50 cities through June that they looked at but the overall rate was still low.

According to Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley's June monthly report, the area saw a 64.29% increase in homicides compared to the same point last year. It shows that there were 14 murders by the end of June 2019 and 23 murders by the end of June 2020.

<snip>

And according to city press releases and online crime data, Austin homicides appear to be evening out through July. Through the end of July, the APD had put out media releases for 28 homicides – including the Foster shooting – and had put out 23 through the end of July last year, amounting to an increase of about 20%.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-homicide-rate-increasing-during-coronavirus-pandemic/269-d68b9c51-3cd4-4cfa-af12-5eea963b3d59

Can you provide a source demonstrating that "Austin is among the worst nationally for both violent and property crime"?

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Crime rate in general is bad.  Austin ranks among the worst nationally for both violent and property crime right now.  I don't really give a fuck if APD gets cleaned up or DPS takes over, so long as someone does something to slow this shit down.

It probably will after Biden is inaugurated.  /cr