2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

This massive cold front over Central Texas today probably explains all the crazy chop out there on Lake Travis.  Thoughts and Prayers to the boaters braving the elements out there.  

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

You don't know Houston Sapien...

when it gets below 70.

tumblr_o2b29sfddK1v1u56ko1_500.gif

A glimpse into my nearish future.

Truth be told, I like winter to an extent.  I just wish it ended on January 31st.  February is a shit month where you alternate between almost feeling like spring and polar vortexes, and March (and now often April) are these schizophrenic weather months where 70 degree swings over a 2-3 day window can happen and you can from pleasant to hellish blizzard and back through that time frame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

hellish blizzard and back through that time frame.

Mom's family originally from Sioux City, IA.  Visited a few times as a kid.  Once during a particularly cold period.  Good lord that was miserable.  

This was me every day.  Like preparing for a moon walk just to go outside.  Tears frozen to your face.  Can't feel fingers and toes.  The wind.  

200.gifi-cant-put-my-arms-down-gif-4.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Mom's family originally from Sioux City, IA.  Visited a few times as a kid.  Once during a particularly cold period.  Good lord that was miserable.  

This was me every day.  Like preparing for a moon walk just to go outside.  Tears frozen to your face.  Can't feel fingers and toes.  The wind.  

"The wind" is our version of "it's a dry heat".

But much like dry heat vs humid heat, it's true.  The wind just absolutely howls on the northern plains, and makes things so much worse.  I've been in 0 degrees with no wind, and the proper layers, and thought to myself "this isn't too bad".

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

"The wind" is our version of "it's a dry heat".

But much like dry heat vs humid heat, it's true.  The wind just absolutely howls on the northern plains, and makes things so much worse.  I've been in 0 degrees with no wind, and the proper layers, and thought to myself "this isn't too bad".

I never really appreciated the type of cold the Midwest gets until I read 'Empire of the Summer Moon' and how settlers and soldiers described a "different" type of cold and desolation.  

“Worst of all was the blizzard. People from the east or west coasts of America may think they have seen a blizzard. Likely they have not. It is almost exclusively a phenomenon of the plains, and got its name on the plains. It entailed wind-driven snow so dense and temperatures so cold that anyone lost in them on the shelterless plains was as good as dead.”

S.C. Gwynne, Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, Lobo said:

This massive cold front over Central Texas today probably explains all the crazy chop out there on Lake Travis.  Thoughts and Prayers to the boaters braving the elements out there.  

Winds picked up big time in NE Washington and N Idaho on Monday. I think they had 6 ft swells on Lake Pend Oreille yesterday. The temperature also dropped bigly. 

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I never really appreciated the type of cold the Midwest gets until I read 'Empire of the Summer Moon' and how settlers and soldiers described a "different" type of cold and desolation.  

I listened to that as an audiobook during harvest last year.  Excellent, and I remembered that passage well.

We would have "white out safety" discussions at school as kids.  Every few years, someone in a place close enough to make the local news went out into a blizzard, got lost, and died.  On the farm where I grew up, the hog barns were about 200 yards south of the house.  There was no wind break to the west, so when there was fresh, loose snow, the wind would howl through and you couldn't see the barns from the house at times.  My mom tied a really long rope up to the front porch that we would use to find our way to the barn and back when it was really bad.

My grandpa was 5 when this happened, but he remembers it and still talks about it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Armistice_Day_Blizzard

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep had friends in Cali and CO share their weather screens like that yesterday.

Where yours says "Sunny, " theirs just said,  "Smoke"

Is that really a 'weather,' might as well just say, "Death."

Edited by slorch

On 9/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, Parliament said:

To get 6" of accumulated snow on top of warm ground, it's gonna take a lot.  

We ended up with around 6" on our deck and vehicles. There was probably 2-3" on the ground. Probably helped that it rained for 12 hours or so before the snow actually hit.

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

56 degrees and raining in South Austin.  Just shut the A/C off and kids are taking turns opening up all the windows.  Glorious.  

50 degrees and raining in North Iowa.  Always blows me away when our weather is that similar 1,000 miles to the north.

In other news, I expect my sump pump to run for the first time in 3 months by the end of the day.

55 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

50 degrees and raining in North Iowa.  Always blows me away when our weather is that similar 1,000 miles to the north.

In other news, I expect my sump pump to run for the first time in 3 months by the end of the day.

I've lived all over the country, including Seattle.  There were days where it was hotter in Seattle than it was in Austin.  I think it was November 15th or something.

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I've lived all over the country, including Seattle.  There were days where it was hotter in Seattle than it was in Austin.  I think it was November 15th or something.

Nuts.

Reminds me of when we came down to Ft. Worth for the 2012 TCU/ISU game.  High that day was like 55.  It was in the high 60's in north Iowa.  Mid Octoberish.

55 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What the hell is sun pump?  /texanswithoutbasements 

To be fair, we shouldn't have basements either.  As a buddy of mine (retired city water department guy) says "tornadoes are the only reason to have a basement in Iowa".

But my house has one.  And I have a bar down there.  So I do what I can to keep it dry.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I went to Seattle for a week in July/August of last year.  I packed badly.  It was sunny and in the 80s the whole time., I sweated a lot walking everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I went to Seattle for a week in July/August of last year.  I packed badly.  It was sunny and in the 80s the whole time., I sweated a lot walking everywhere.

Yeah, I mean summers there are great.  80s aren't so bad, the weather there is actually really mild.  Not a lot of days below 30 or above 90. 

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

To be fair, we shouldn't have basements either.  As a buddy of mine (retired city water department guy) says "tornadoes are the only reason to have a basement in Iowa".

But my house has one.  And I have a bar down there.  So I do what I can to keep it dry.

• 3 weeks later...

I bet the cold air really gives the meat packing plant smell that lingers over that city an extra kick.

Not as bad if the temps were in the 90s