2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

I never noticed how much their logo looks like a really broad shouldered man butt fucking a really slender shouldered man.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

One nice thing about our location and winter weather is that we generally don't get as much ice as points south.  We've had some nasty ice storms, but since my cousin moved to Tulsa in '08, it seems like he deals with a lot more ice than I do.
We go straight from decent fall weather into straight up blizzards (and very cold temps) pretty quickly.  Generally shooting right through the ice storm temperature ranges on the way down.  When we do get ice, it tends to be in the spring.
Glad you guys are alright, but god damn, ice is the fucking worst.

It’s the worst, indeed. I’m in DFW and we get ice every 2-3 years. People make fun of us for shutting down when it happens but I don’t care who you are or where you live, most folks don’t know how to drive on ice. Nothing was worse than 2011 when the Super Bowl was here at the Death Star. I walked out my front porch, slipped and shattered my wrist.

Fuck the ice. And OU.

48 minutes ago, Whatever said:

It’s the worst, indeed. I’m in DFW and we get ice every 2-3 years. People make fun of us for shutting down when it happens but I don’t care who you are or where you live, most folks don’t know how to drive on ice. Nothing was worse than 2011 when the Super Bowl was here at the Death Star. I walked out my front porch, slipped and shattered my wrist.

Fuck the ice. And OU.

The ice will get you no matter what. Dallas only keeps enough sand and vehicles to cost the overpasses once or twice, because why keep more?  Snow has some traction, as it is made of sharp crystals. But the Dallas events are rarely ever cold enough to keep the precip as snow on the ground, and there’s no attempt to remove it from the road surfaces. The dumb part is how many people are willing to risk damage and injury to try and drive 20 miles to work on it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The ice will get you no matter what. Dallas only keeps enough sand and vehicles to cost the overpasses once or twice, because why keep more?  Snow has some traction, as it is made of sharp crystals. But the Dallas events are rarely ever cold enough to keep the precip as snow on the ground, and there’s no attempt to remove it from the road surfaces. The dumb part is how many people are willing to risk damage and injury to try and drive 20 miles to work on it. 

Yep always laughed at my transplant friends from up north making fun of me for not going to work. To me it was a great excuse to sleep in and maybe drive to a bar for some day drinking.

• Like 1

Agree 100%. Every time someone from another part of the country asks, “why don’t you keep salt/sand trucks?” I have to explain how it would be a gross misuse of funds to invest in them since they would only be used every 2-3 years.

During the 2011 Icemageddon I was supposed to work a Super Bowl event. I had surgery on my shattered wrist 2 days before and the event was about 30 minutes away. My boss told me I was lazy because I wouldn’t drive in the ice with a broken wrist and hopped up on Hydrocodone.

Fuck him and OU.

9 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Fuck this shit, bring back the heat.

Sposed to get up to 41 today.

Quit yer cryin...the wind could be blowin 40mph out of Alberta...

Edited by slorch

A few days of below average temps in late October, and I've now heard three different people complaining about weather, how they hate the cold, where's the sun, etc.

WTF?!?  Austin gets like 300 days of sunshine a year!  It's hot for 8 months of the year!  Put on a damn jacket, and enjoy not being roasted by the sun for a couple of days.

Edited by Somnio
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Somnio said:

A few days of below average temps in late October, and I've now heard three different people complaining about weather, how they hate the cold, where's the sun, etc.

WTF?!?  Austin gets like 300 days of sunshine a year!  It's hot for 8 months of the year!  Put on a damn jacket, and enjoy not being roasted by the sun for a couple of days.

Don't you know in Austin it's supposed to be 76° and sunny every day, with an inch of rain overnight between 3 and 5 a.m.? If not, you're entirely justified for bitching about the weather!

1 hour ago, Hpara759 said:

electricity was off for 48 hours in the Motley County area due to ice on trees and power lines. Leaves were still on the trees, so there are some big limbs on the ground

I presume they sent a bunch of folks out to restore power.   A.....Motley crew, if you will?

I'm a dad, dude.  Had to do it.

One of the things that made this early ice storm extra bad was that so many trees still had their leaves. Hpara, hope y’all are ok out Matador way...

Childress and Pampa among others had  been out of power for most of Tuesday and Wednesday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first half of this week is how I wish every Central Texas winter day would look and feel.  Near freezing in the AM, sunny and mid-50s in the afternoon.  

@phdhorn, this is your yearly it’s-10-days-out-now-please-tell-us-it’s-not-going-to-be-hot-again-for-Christmas post.  

Can we expect dustings of snow in Bee Cave while Austin proper sees more record heat?

• Like 1

And while he's prognosticating...what's the cloud cover gonna be like on the early evening of the Solstice?  Want to take my girls a bit outta town to see the Jupiter/Saturn Conjunction on Monday before bedtime.