2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

Looking like NE Kansas to NE Iowa is supposed to get steam rolled middle of next week.  9-16" of snow currently predicted.  Would be the biggest single snow event I've ever been a part of if it hits the high tick.

I have a friend on Facebook who shares when random social media weather terrorist start to sound the alarms about “potent storm in 7 days, keep your eyes on it”....well he shared about that storm. Doesn’t look good if things hold up

Woke up to it being 59 degrees this morning, rain has pretty much washed out 90% of last weeks snow, and now some areas are under flash flood watch, strong winds this morning also knocked out power for a few hours.  We have a generator but not for the whole house so oven/stove couldn't be used and Christmas dinner is delayed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Underdog said:

Woke up to it being 59 degrees this morning, rain has pretty much washed out 90% of last weeks snow, and now some areas are under flash flood watch, strong winds this morning also knocked out power for a few hours.  We have a generator but not for the whole house so oven/stove couldn't be used and Christmas dinner is delayed. 

You need a wood stove. I miss the one we had when my wife and I were up just outside of Saratoga Springs.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I have a friend on Facebook who shares when random social media weather terrorist start to sound the alarms about “potent storm in 7 days, keep your eyes on it”....well he shared about that storm. Doesn’t look good if things hold up

Now we're down to like 4-7" for the totality of the storm.  I was actually kinda hoping for the bigger amount to get things going for snowmobiling and XC skiing.

Just now, BBQ2Bayou said:

My buddies in Minnesota do this. I want to try it now that I'm back in Iowa. 

Central Iowa can be pretty hit and miss with it.  Des Moines area probably only has a few weeks most years where you'll have enough snow.  I got back into it last year, and I'd say I got a solid 5-6 weeks of good snow pack for it up here.

But it's a great way to get outside and work out in the dead of winter.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Central Iowa can be pretty hit and miss with it.  Des Moines area probably only has a few weeks most years where you'll have enough snow.  I got back into it last year, and I'd say I got a solid 5-6 weeks of good snow pack for it up here.

But it's a great way to get outside and work out in the dead of winter.

THat's my concern. I want to get snowshoes too, but I'm in Des Moines, so I don't know if it's worth getting stuff like that. 

1 minute ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

THat's my concern. I want to get snowshoes too, but I'm in Des Moines, so I don't know if it's worth getting stuff like that. 

I just looked up my local group's Facebook page, and they opened trails on January 14th, 2020 and quit grooming on February 24th.  That was the extent of the season, and that was a pretty normal winter, and as you know, I'm basically in Minnesota/Wisconsin.

In Des Moines, I'd look more into a fat bike to navigate the mixed wintery conditions and get outdoor exercise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Now we're down to like 4-7" for the totality of the storm.  I was actually kinda hoping for the bigger amount to get things going for snowmobiling and XC skiing.

Nothing in the forecast here. I keep checking the snow report at the ski area we spent $1600 for season passes, and it always says 0” early season conditions.   They’ve been open for a month and have a base of 13” listed. I’m not skiing on rocks, fuckers. 

the Nordic association hasn’t been grooming trails either, too warm and not enough snow. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nothing in the forecast here. I keep checking the snow report at the ski area we spent $1600 for season passes, and it always says 0” early season conditions.   They’ve been open for a month and have a base of 13” listed. I’m not skiing on rocks, fuckers. 

the Nordic association hasn’t been grooming trails either, too warm and not enough snow. 

You're in Montana, right?

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Wyoming but the ski place is in Montana. 

Yeah, I remember now from the Yellowstone thread.  I've got a buddy who has a season pass down at Snowy Range and they already have a fair amount of snow.  I realize that's a long ways from you, but given it's farther south, I'd have guessed you would be farther along.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This God damn rain is starting to piss me off.  It ain't ever going to stop.

Well...we haven’t had any in 6 months. I wish it would continue for a week. The entire State is practically in stage 3 drought and Lake Travis is 21 feet low.

T&P that you make it though these hard times of rain.

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Well...we haven’t had any in 6 months. I wish it would continue for a week. The entire State is practically in stage 3 drought and Lake Travis is 21 feet low.

T&P that you make it though these hard times of rain.

I guess this may come as a surprise but not everyone on this site lives in the Austin - Lake Travis area.  Some of us have had plenty of rain the last month or so and don’t really need two straight days of flash flooding.

• Hook 'Em 1