2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

20 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Brownwood is a good ways north and west of here, no?  Seems like they'd see snow somewhat often.

Every few years when it snows here folks always act like it's a once in a lifetime event or something.

Though I will say this snow event is one of the more substantial ones I remember.

3.5" in the middle of our backyard so far.  the snow started sticking to the roads a few hours ago but has since started to melt.  our thermometer shows 33F at the moment.  it was at 32F for a couple hours so it seems like it's starting to warm up.

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

3.5" in the middle of our backyard so far.  the snow started sticking to the roads a few hours ago but has since started to melt.  our thermometer shows 33F at the moment.  it was at 32F for a couple hours so it seems like it's starting to warm up.

Definitely feels warmer outside and I hear gutters running around my neighborhood.  Killeen ISD canceled classes tomorrow so am curious what A/RR ISDs do.  

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Definitely feels warmer outside and I hear gutters running around my neighborhood.  Killeen ISD canceled classes tomorrow so am curious what A/RR ISDs do.  

I think we will be in school - well I don't know about RR, but most of Austin is not freezing and won't hit freezing tonight, so ice is not much of a problem outside of overpasses/bridges, and I'm sure the city is checking those.

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

PfISD just cancelled school.

Don’t understand why so many people want them to cancel classes.  Snow will be mostly gone tomorrow by lunch, last week was a short one + we just had 2.5 weeks with them at home.  Facebook comments are full of ‘cancel classes’ Karens.  

Edited by Homercles

Snow/precip over. Temps will be freezing now or next hour or so tonight through 8 a.m. tomorrow morning, be careful driving.

It'll take a while to clear up if it does completely at all, and the high tomorrow will be about 45, so the snow won't melt real quick, but most should be gone by late afternoon. Temp will get above freezing between 7-8 a.m.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Snow/precip over. Temps will be freezing now or next hour or so tonight through 8 a.m. tomorrow morning, be careful driving.

It'll take a while to clear up if it does completely at all, and the high tomorrow will be about 45, so the snow won't melt real quick, but most should be gone by late afternoon. Temp will get above freezing between 7-8 a.m.

dude, why do all the apps say it's like 37-39 all night?

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

dude, why do all the apps say it's like 37-39 all night?

I dunno.  Because they suck?  Here's something right now:

Temps are definitely gonna get < freezing for 90% of ATX (except maybe extreme SW TravCo) at least a few hours overnight.  Period.

image.png.b77a66c15453c0419927a5fb0a697e91.png

Edited by phdhorn

And Austin ISD is going 100% virtual tomorrow. 
Yep. Someone made a stupid call. Letter says if students don't have their devices, contact the principal to make arrangements. The point is to keep everyone off the roads. Plus, those buses will have to be out there running for some students WiFi.