2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

Man, the last time I remember a freeze like this, it was 1983. The water line to our house was about 1/2 mile long and went up the side of a hill, it was completely frozen for about 10 days. We also had to feed about 350 head of cattle and bust the ice on the stock tanks. It was miserable.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Man, the last time I remember a freeze like this, it was 1983. The water line to our house was about 1/2 mile long and went up the side of a hill, it was completely frozen for about 10 days. We also had to feed about 350 head of cattle and bust the ice on the stock tanks. It was miserable.

CHIEF

Looking forward to the ice busting this weekend in the troughs at our place.  And hoping a few new-born Longhorns make it through.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Man that was cold.  I was staying with my grandmother in Somerville for a couple of weeks.  I had just been gifted a 1983 Hutch and I took it to my grandmother's to ride around town.

I believe it was 6 degrees that morning, and one of her pipes busted and the water ran out the front door and froze on the sidewalk.  I didn't know this, hopped on my bike and busted my ass on the porch.  Nice.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even Pepsis are cokes down here.

"Soda" was not the weirdest terminology when I lived up north, and a bunch of them used "pop" as well, and the first time somebody asked if I wanted a pop, I was like "what the fuck are you doing asking me if I want that in front of other people?

I can actually spot the military areas of North Dakota on this map - I'm pretty sure that yellow area is near Minot.

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM

I had a confusing exchange with a waitress in Dallas once when I asked for a Diet Coke and she said "what kind".

The one "soda" county in Iowa is Johnson where U of I is.  Of course those fart sniffers say "soda".  Surprised my county (third west of the Mississippi along MN border) is only 50-80%.  It must be my wife dragging it down.  She says "soda" to try and disguise living most of her life in hick towns.

I also think it's interesting to see that pop/coke line hitting Oklahoma hard.  I've always thought of them as being where the South and Midwest collided.  One foot in each, and not truly a part of either.

Lastly, check out the name of the guy who made the map.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Why is Dark Skies telling me it's going to be 9 degrees Monday morning, and 1 degree on Tuesday?  It's showing a good 72 hours of a hard freeze.

Is it just me or has Dark Skies gone to shit lately, and I think I have mentioned that before.

Weather Channel app is showing 14 degrees on Sunday and 11 on Monday.

If it was going to hit 9 degrees and 1 degree, I'd think plumbers were going to be even busier than we are predicting.  Shit, even 11 and 14 will make them plenty busy.

Yes, Dark Sky seems a bit batshit recently, especially when forecasting cold a few days out.  I noticed this back a few months ago, too.

16 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Any advice on my rose bush?  It's at the back end of the yard, about 100 feet from the nearest outdoor plug.  I've covered it with a heavy-duty, plastic garbage can.  I don't think that's going to do much with these temps over time.  

At my mom's house in Big Spring, she has a gigantic rose bush that pretty much obscures the front porch. We moved there in 1977, and that bush was already a beast. So far as I can recall, she (we) never did a thing to protect it in any manner whatsoever. While it's Texas, it's still West Texas where the winters can get and have gotten really cold. Granted, the house faces the south/southeast so it's protected from western and northern winds, I think your bush should be able to tolerate a short spell of severe cold unless it's a young plant that's not well-established or some weak hybrid varietal or something I'm unaware of.

Cold Hardiness for Rose Bushes
A rose bush's inherent hardiness contributes to its ability to withstand subfreezing temperatures. For example, old garden rose varieties can tolerate extremely cold winters, whereas more modern hybrid tea roses need considerable winter protection to survive the cold undamaged. Examples of hardy rose varieties include Rosa alba maxima, 'Maiden's Blush' and 'Koenigen von Daenemark.'

Acclimation, midwinter hardiness and deacclimation also contribute to a rose's ability to survive freezing cold. Shorter days and decreasing temperatures trigger physiological and biochemical cues in rose bushes that prepare them for winter dormancy. Certain cold-hardy rose varieties have maximum hardiness levels that allow them to withstand USDA zone 4a and 4b low temperatures of minus 20 to minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

At my mom's house in Big Spring, she has a gigantic rose bush that pretty much obscures the front porch. We moved there in 1977, and that bush was already a beast. So far as I can recall, she (we) never did a thing to protect it in any manner whatsoever. While it's Texas, it's still West Texas where the winters can get and have gotten really cold. Granted, the house faces the south/southeast so it's protected from western and northern winds, I think your bush should be able to tolerate a short spell of severe cold unless it's a young plant that's not well-established or some weak hybrid varietal or something I'm unaware of.

Cold Hardiness for Rose Bushes
A rose bush's inherent hardiness contributes to its ability to withstand subfreezing temperatures. For example, old garden rose varieties can tolerate extremely cold winters, whereas more modern hybrid tea roses need considerable winter protection to survive the cold undamaged. Examples of hardy rose varieties include Rosa alba maxima, 'Maiden's Blush' and 'Koenigen von Daenemark.'

Acclimation, midwinter hardiness and deacclimation also contribute to a rose's ability to survive freezing cold. Shorter days and decreasing temperatures trigger physiological and biochemical cues in rose bushes that prepare them for winter dormancy. Certain cold-hardy rose varieties have maximum hardiness levels that allow them to withstand USDA zone 4a and 4b low temperatures of minus 20 to minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cool and thanks.  It's in a corner, so protected from the wind.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd give y'all advice for driving on ice, but here's the thing:  it doesn't matter how used to it you are, it fucking sucks and you should probably avoid it at all costs.

If you can't, the main thing to remember is don't just slam on your brakes.  It's going to make things worse.  Let off the gas, and gently pump them.

• Hook 'Em 8

31 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Any advice on my rose bush?  It's at the back end of the yard, about 100 feet from the nearest outdoor plug.  I've covered it with a heavy-duty, plastic garbage can.  I don't think that's going to do much with these temps over time.  

Most types of Roses will be fine. They are generally a cold weather plant. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Can we please not turn this into a 6+ day weekend for my kiddos?  I obviously love them (4/7 yo) but the thought of RRISD closed for weather on Friday, then two days off for President’s Day, and possibly more shutdowns on Wednesday...with nowhere to go and nothing for them to do, while I’m supposed to be working...gives me anxiety.  Already have to plan for 3 more ‘asynchronous days for teachers to plan’ that I’m a little bitter about.

/rant

Schools are open here

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Crossed my mind last night that a lot of livestock are going to be hating their short lives just a bit more this week. 

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd give y'all advice for driving on ice, but here's the thing:  it doesn't matter how used to it you are, it fucking sucks and you should probably avoid it at all costs.

If you can't, the main thing to remember is don't just slam on your brakes.  It's going to make things worse.  Let off the gas, and gently pump them.

It never fails that people in DFW drive 12 mph on the freeway and then ride their brakes across every bridge or overpass. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that some of them are trying to purposely get into minor accidents. 

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

With all the rwd trucks and suvs in Texas, it’s not only braking that will be problematic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Mine might actually stop blooming, but other than that they'll be back stronger than ever in a couple months.

Yep. This will probably kill off a lot of the bugs/parasites that feed on them down here.  My Roses are going to look great come springtime. Sadly everything else will be dead :(

The Ghost of the Winter of 1899 is knocking on the door...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1899#Texas

Third-coldest February, 1895–2018.[134]

Ironically occurred almost at the exact time as this current one..

Many here are suggesting to keep your water dripping all day/night to prevent your pipes from freezing. The “experts” used to tell us that would impair water pressure all over the city and instead to turn your water off and drain as much water as possible. Has something changed with the water system over the last 10-15 years?

30 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Here too. I’m thinking more about tomorrow or after stuff is really frozen mon-tues

Karens on the district’s Twitter feed beat me to it, saying it’s negligence to not have canceled today.  Definitely agree it’s not awfully safe to be driving out there and I hope they make the right call as needed...but 1) They always cry for the schools to close on social media 2) They are free to do remote learning anytime they need to and 3) hopefully it’ll warm up enough to keep roads from freezing over.  

Like I said, I bitch about this a lot.  As my kids get older and self sufficient, it won’t impact me so much. 

Sometime in the '95-97 timeframe I was driving to work on I35, at about 8 AM when the roads changed over from wet to icy pretty suddenly. Everything seemed fine until I got to the overpass over Highway 290 and saw cars in front of me sliding around. It was more luck than skill that got me through that. I tried gently braking but the tires would just instantly lock. this was in a Camaro Z28 with no traction control and summer performance tires.  After I got to work, they told us to go back home, now on roads that were completely fucking iced.

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Karens on the district’s Twitter feed beat me to it, saying it’s negligence to not have canceled today.  Definitely agree it’s not awfully safe to be driving out there and I hope they make the right call as needed...but 1) They always cry for the schools to close on social media 2) They are free to do remote learning anytime they need to and 3) hopefully it’ll warm up enough to keep roads from freezing over.  

Like I said, I bitch about this a lot.  As my kids get older and self sufficient, it won’t impact me so much. 

The broads I know bitch regardless of what the schools wind up doing.  

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've never understood what exactly constitutes "yankee", but you'd get a strange look for using the word "soda" where I'm from.  And you'd also get a strange look for calling anything other than Coke "coke".

We go over this all the time on here, but Texan Millennials use the word soda often. We do use "Coke" too, but it's one of those things that I think is slowly dying out. You never hear pop here though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We go over this all the time on here, but Texan Millennials use the word soda often. We do use "Coke" too, but it's one of those things that I think is slowly dying out. You never hear pop here though. 

I truly resent the death of regional dialect, and have kind of gone the other way as most people my age (I'm an old-end millennial).  I think those quirks are part of what makes the world an interesting place and where 18 year old me tried to purge a lot of the hickisms from my vernacular (once I entered the larger world and realized that these sayings or terms weren't commonplace) to impress people, I now embrace the local weirdness.  I wish everyone did.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I truly resent the death of regional dialect, and have kind of gone the other way as most people my age (I'm an old-end millennial).  I think those quirks are part of what makes the world an interesting place and where 18 year old me tried to purge a lot of the hickisms from my vernacular (once I entered the larger world and realized that these sayings or terms weren't commonplace) to impress people, I now embrace the local weirdness.  I wish everyone did.

Haha absolutely. I remember when I started working for Disney in Florida I was 20 and all of my friends laughing their ass off when I told them that I thought I had the general TV English accent.

"Dude, you call it a the-ate-her".

29 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

The broads I know bitch regardless of what the schools wind up doing.  

Yeah it’s all ladies.  My wife’s school is title and thus has a very significant proportion of parents who do not have the ways/means to just keep their kids home...hell she has to run food pantries to ensure kids can anonymously get enough to eat everyday.  I’ve got a very flexible, white collar job so for me it’s just an inconvenience but there are real economic impacts for people when they close a school.  

I get the impression many taking to social media calling the district negligent are SAHMs who fly the virtue flag under the umbrella of having excessive free time.  

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Look at these Texans worried about some winter.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Look at these Texans worried about some winter.

giphy.gif

It reminds me of when my family in Virginia was freaking out about possible tornadoes once.  They were asking the Iowa folks "what do you do?" and were annoyed when the universal response was something along the lines of "grab a lawn chair, a 6 pack, and watch it".

That being said, I can see why people unfamiliar with this shit would be terrified.

Edited by Al_4_ISU