2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

57 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We go over this all the time on here, but Texan Millennials use the word soda often. We do use "Coke" too, but it's one of those things that I think is slowly dying out. You never hear pop here though. 

I've noticed this, too.  It seems that "soda" is becoming more of the accepted term among the younger lawyers in my office.

My wife is from New York, and over time I've started adopting "soda" as well.  So I suppose I'm part of the problem.

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I truly resent the death of regional dialect, and have kind of gone the other way as most people my age (I'm an old-end millennial).  I think those quirks are part of what makes the world an interesting place and where 18 year old me tried to purge a lot of the hickisms from my vernacular (once I entered the larger world and realized that these sayings or terms weren't commonplace) to impress people, I now embrace the local weirdness.  I wish everyone did.

I do, too.

Of course, my wife is from New York, and over time I've started adopting "soda" as well.  So I suppose I'm part of the problem.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I've noticed this, too.  It seems that "soda" is becoming more of the accepted term among the younger lawyers in my office.

My wife is from New York, and over time I've started adopting "soda" as well.  So I suppose I'm part of the problem.

I do, too.

Of course, my wife is from New York, and over time I've started adopting "soda" as well.  So I suppose I'm part of the problem.

Reported.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I do, too.

I'm 47 and have been saying "soda" since I was 10 years old because calling every canned beverage "coke" is fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Man, the last time I remember a freeze like this, it was 1983. The water line to our house was about 1/2 mile long and went up the side of a hill, it was completely frozen for about 10 days. We also had to feed about 350 head of cattle and bust the ice on the stock tanks. It was miserable.

CHIEF

lived in Dallas then.  Friend's pool froze over.  Only time I have ever seen that.

9 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm 47 and have been saying "soda" since I was 10 years old because calling every canned beverage "coke" is fucking stupid.

Same. Born and bred in Texas. My long-dead grandma living on a farm in Brown County did call it "sodie warter" though.

Back on topic, I'm going to do be doing my supply run tomorrow, including picking up some firewood in case of power outages.

Edited by bolverk
Except I'm 49.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Same. Born and bred in Texas. My long-dead grandma living on a farm in Brown County did call it "sodie warter" though.

Back on topic, I'm going to do be doing my supply run tomorrow, including picking up some firewood in case of power outages.

I'll be our grandparents knew each other.  Grandmother born in Brownwood.  Never left.  Grandfather grew up on a farm in Comanche.

5 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

you have a solid source ?

I'm hearing its hard to come by

Convenience store at West Gate and Davis had a shitload out front last night when I picked up a six pack (should've bought some then).

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'll be our grandparents knew each other.  Grandmother born in Brownwood.  Never left.  Grandfather grew up on a farm in Comanche.

It's possible. My grandparents' place was a few miles north of Early, which was where they attended the Church of Christ. My mom graduated (valedictorian in a class of 12) from Blanket High School in the 1950s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Not sure where you live, and I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, but Harley's on 183 frontage road just north of Anderson Mill is usually pretty well sorted.  It's where I go for BBQ wood.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Where are you?

for NW austin: http://harleyswoodyard.com/hours

call ahead 

(And while you’re there, grab a couple of containers of their seasoning ...if you like bbqing/smoking )

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Not sure where you live, and I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, but Harley's on 183 frontage road just north of Anderson Mill is usually pretty well sorted.  It's where I go for BBQ wood.

I'm good on wood....was going to say anybody in Wilco Co there is a guy about 1 mile west of Jonah on hwy 29 (north side of the road) he has wood....or did a week ago

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

We go over this all the time on here, but Texan Millennials use the word soda often. We do use "Coke" too, but it's one of those things that I think is slowly dying out. You never hear pop here though. 

Native Texan born in '79.  Both parents native Texans.  I say soda.  I'm not calling Dr. Pepper or Sprite a Coke.

Oh, and it's cold and wet as fuck.  Icicles forming in 78744.

• Hook 'Em 1

Close-in South Austin here.  Rain switches to more slush form every few minutes then reverts back.  Definitely on the cusp of the switch.  Curious to hear more later today from the resident experts what'll happen to the accumulated precip on the ground by this time tomorrow.  Hope we can get a safe travel day in on Friday.  Definitely not going anywhere after that until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.  

Growing up---My mom was from Mexico/South Texas, she said "Coke" in our household.  My sister said pop.  I said "Soda."  Invariably, mom had sweet tea, my sister had sprite, and I had wine coolers.  My decades long confusion with the "Coke" thing in the South is...why not just be a grown-up and just ask for the fucking beverage of your choice.  When asked, "What'll you have to drink?"  Why answer "Coke" when you can say sprite, diet coke, dr pepper, iced tea, whatever.  Nobody, except in old movies, answers that question at a bar and says, "I'll have beer."  You ask for the one you want in particular.  I dunno, just always seemed like adding an extra step for no fucking reason.  But then, that's the South for you.  

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Jesus, I missed your post. Was it the flagpole at Woodgate Elementary? If so my dog was probably scared as hell too.

Yeah.  I was walking at that point as it had just started coming down pretty hard.  Then I looked around and realized there's nothing tall between that flagpole, me and the stoplight.   Got my ass moving pretty quick after that.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah.  I was walking at that point as it had just started coming down pretty hard.  Then I looked around and realized there's nothing tall between that flagpole, me and the stoplight.   Got my ass moving pretty quick after that.   

How did your dog respond to that kind of noise? I think mine would never want to go for a walk ever again haha.

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

here's the 1983 info

http://www.dfwweather.org/wxblog/?p=74

That was a real brutal winter, but not the coldest temperature that I remembered. I had to look up the record low for Clifton, Texas, and it was 1989. I was an aircraft mechanic at the time, and working my way through college. I was in the FBO hanger, and the doors closed, pulling the seats out of a Grumman Cheetah. The work was delicate enough that you couldn't wear gloves to do it. My boss was somewhere else, and I was the only one there. My hands were numb, and I could work about 10 minutes before I would have to go run them under warm water, soon that 10 became 8, then 5 minutes, finally I just couldn't do it anymore. There was a temperature gauge mounted in the windshield, when I looked at it, it was sitting smack-dab on Zero. That day it got down to -3 degrees for the all time record low. I had to drive home in my old Ford Bronco, the thermostat had frozen up, so I had just pulled off the cover, and tossed it, then put the cover back on a few weeks before. No heater for about a 30 minute drive home, also the back window motor had gone out with the window about halfway down.

CHIEF

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

When asked, "What'll you have to drink?"  Why answer "Coke" when you can say sprite, diet coke, dr pepper, iced tea, whatever. 

Well you would answer with what you want.  Coke is used more for the collective.  Like, "we need to get Cokes when we go to HEB," would include any and all varieties that you typically buy.

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Well you would answer with what you want.  Coke is used more for the collective.  Like, "we need to get Cokes when we go to HEB," would include any and all varieties that you typically buy.

But if you're making a family HEB list and you write "cokes" down on the list, how does the shopper know what to buy?  It's been a year now of using Covid-19 curbside pickup with my beloved HEB.  When I'm filling up my online shopping cart, I can't just click "cokes" and expect some sprite and RC cola to magically appear at pickup.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But if you're making a family HEB list and you write "cokes" down on the list, how does the shopper know what to buy?  It's been a year now of using Covid-19 curbside pickup with my beloved HEB.  When I'm filling up my online shopping cart, I can't just click "cokes" and expect some sprite and RC cola to magically appear at pickup.  

Not sure how it works in your family but when I send my wife to the grocery store and tell her to get some "coke" she manages to get the correct thing. 

If It is curbside of course you need to specify the flavor of "coke" you want. 

22 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

That was a real brutal winter, but not the coldest temperature that I remembered. I had to look up the record low for Clifton, Texas, and it was 1989. I was an aircraft mechanic at the time, and working my way through college. I was in the FBO hanger, and the doors closed, pulling the seats out of a Grumman Cheetah. The work was delicate enough that you couldn't wear gloves to do it. My boss was somewhere else, and I was the only one there. My hands were numb, and I could work about 10 minutes before I would have to go run them under warm water, soon that 10 became 8, then 5 minutes, finally I just couldn't do it anymore. There was a temperature gauge mounted in the windshield, when I looked at it, it was sitting smack-dab on Zero. That day it got down to -3 degrees for the all time record low. I had to drive home in my old Ford Bronco, the thermostat had frozen up, so I had just pulled off the cover, and tossed it, then put the cover back on a few weeks before. No heater for about a 30 minute drive home, also the back window motor had gone out with the window about halfway down.

CHIEF

Yeah I think 89 was the coldest in my lifetime.  I just looked it up and the low in Houston was 9 on 12/23/89.

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah I think 89 was the coldest in my lifetime.  I just looked it up and the low in Houston was 9 on 12/23/89.

-4 in Waco that day.  

1983 in Waco strikes me as being colder than that, but it was not.  However, the fact that it was 7 degrees and my truck had no heater and shabby weather stripping probably had something to do that.

Me as a kid at Lowake Inn in the '70s:

What do you want to drink?

Coke.

What kind?

Pepsi

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

here's the 1983 info

Man that was a wild winter.  I was visiting friends in Austin and the water seeps that run down the cliffs at Pennybacker bridge turned into huge stalactites over a foot in diameter.  Once I made it home to west Texas we went out on a frozen lake with blankets and were using them as sails to fly across the ice.  At night.  God we were dumb.  I live in a little old frame house and my waterbed heater and the house furnace couldn't keep up and I woke up feeling like I had polio because the cold water had sucked all of the heat out of my body.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

here's the 1983 info

Several years before that, when I was in 6th or 7th grade, we had a massive ice storm that knocked out our power for like three days.

I was sick as shit and my parents put the couch in front of the fireplace and kept a fire going.  My Dad went to work every day, though.

Hit New Years Even 1978 according to the intergoogles.