2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

2 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Just got back from my marina on Lake Austin. About half the boats previously on lifts are now floating in the water in their slips as the owners try see if the lake water will be warm enough to keep their engine blocks from cracking. Nobody winterizes their boats anymore since 2 weeks ago it was 85 degrees and surf weather. 

Leader in the clubhouse for best “2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on” thread humblebrag

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, slorch said:

it's like natural gas doesn't even exist...

Lived in home 16 years in Oak Ridge North.  The folks who bought our house will have to be the first people to ever have a fire in the fireplace.

I thought heaters running on natural gas still needed electricity to operate.

Oh well, I still like the idea of having the ability to burn wood to keep from freezing inside my house if necessary.

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

I thought heaters running on natural gas still needed electricity to operate.

Oh well, I still like the idea of having the ability to burn wood to keep from freezing inside my house if necessary.

I’m sure he means gas fireplace, where you just turn the flow on and light it, presumably with fake logs that will heat up and radiate heat. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m sure he means gas fireplace, where you just turn the flow on and light it, presumably with fake logs that will heat up and radiate heat. 

If you never burned your legs on the back  side while you froze in the front... well you fortunately never had one of these bastards in the house, but yeah, gas log fireplace/ heater is what I meant.

26395583dba905e08ec037dbc5494d4b.jpg

53 minutes ago, Hate said:

@phdhorn, the local mets here in Houston haven't really begun to talk about accumulation totals, but the NWS is "only" calling for 1-3 inches north of Houston.  Some pro mets I follow on other weather boards are posting the model data I get here and talking about possible really big accumulation totals.  The model I posted above would dump 20+ inches north of Houston if it all fell as snow.  I've stopped second guessing the NWS after this summer when they nailed every single hurricane, but why are they still being so conservative on their totlas given the what he models are showing? 

Say aloud “it will snow 20 inches in the Houston area this week” and ask yourself if that sounds like something that would ever happen. 

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Say aloud “it will snow 20 inches in the Houston area this week” and ask yourself if that sounds like something that would ever happen. 

It snowed 12 inches in Victoria on Christmas Eve in 2004.

I just checked the snowfall record for Houston.  That record happens to be 20 inches.  So, to answer your question.  Something like that could happen.

Edited by leaf
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You ever wonder if helobius gets tired of being dunked on when he keeps offering up incorrect assertions that he is supremely confident in?

I guess I should’ve checked historical houston weather records going back 122 fucking years before making that post. I’ll never forgive myself for that mistake, and it’ll haunt me to my grave. 

Friends/family saying hebs are shitshows. Can someone explain the logic there? Let’s go ultra worst case and say you’re totally snowed in to your house until next Friday, no food, power, or water for some reason. Humans can survive 2+ weeks without food, and obviously there’s plenty of snow/ice to melt for water. Why buy out the meat section at HEB right now then?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

If you never burned your legs on the back  side while you froze in the front... well you fortunately never had one of these bastards in the house, but yeah, gas log fireplace/ heater is what I meant.

My mom's house, where I grew up, has two of those built into the wall in each bathroom. I vaguely recall memories of her telling me a story when I was a kid about a kid playing in a cape around next to one burning himself alive. It was probably an urban rural legend, but I was always sure never to play Superman in the bathroom.

Being the youngest, I always had to sleep on the enclosed porch at my grandparents' place outside of Brownwood. I want to say it looked a little like this, but I remember it being bigger - maybe because I was so much smaller.

maiCudeXVbUDMPcxM24XCA.jpg

Edit: I want to say there was also some kind of piping too that came out from the top - certainly, nothing you could carry around. it was definitely installed as part of the structure. I want to say it was more of a furnace than a heater if that makes any sense. Regardless, it's a smell you never forget.

Edited by bolverk

I guess I should’ve checked historical houston weather records going back 122 fucking years before making that post. I’ll never forgive myself for that mistake, and it’ll haunt me to my grave. 

Friends/family saying hebs are shitshows. Can someone explain the logic there? Let’s go ultra worst case and say you’re totally snowed in to your house until next Friday, no food, power, or water for some reason. Humans can survive 2+ weeks without food, and obviously there’s plenty of snow/ice to melt for water. Why buy out the meat section at HEB right now then?

Just me. But I’d rather not starve for two weeks. And if it is going to suck I’d rather be be drunk
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I could survive 2 weeks drinking melted snow, but why would I want to.   A hour in a crowded HEB and I'm all set for the week.   In the off chance that this weather causes a small supply-chain hic-up, I'm still a happy camper.  I'm pretty sure that extra bag of Doritos, Salsa, Soda and TP are all going to get consumed used..  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Just me. But I’d rather not starve for two weeks. And if it is going to suck I’d rather be be drunk

This right here.  I have enough food to last a month if I had to.  I have enough booze to last a couple of weeks.  As long as we don't lose power, we are good to go. 

I could survive 2 weeks drinking melted snow, but why would I want to.   A hour in a crowded HEB and I'm all set for the week.   In the off chance that this weather causes a small supply-chain hic-up, I'm still a happy camper.  I'm pretty sure that extra bag of Doritos, Salsa, Soda and TP are all going to get consumed used..  

Yeah....I hit the HEB because we want to eat in style while we’re frozen in. Gonna make a nice pot of beans, some mushroom soup, burgers, you know, the good stuff. It wasn’t a big hassle.

Also....damned glad we made the call to postpone our dinner with friend in SA. Sounds like a shitshow down there right now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You are really trying hard for dumbass posts of the day I guess. I have tried very hard to win that award but it is impossible when you are going against a professional.

Did you completely forget the TP fiasco of 2020? We are surrounded by idiots.

Edited by HOOKEM4

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Yep.  I had a few of these in my childhood home.  Thank goodness it was a older wood frame home with plenty of fresh air coming in because I’m sure the hoses were hardly changed like the should’ve  been 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a balmy 34 and sunny in Dallas.  34 by NWS, 38 by car thermometer.

That's 8-10 degrees warmer than forecast by anyone.

You guys got lucky.  There was a bit of dry air that filtered in from the NW close to the center of the low and caused a little clear patch right over NE TX, that's the only one for hundreds of miles in every direction, so the sun came out.  Made all the difference.

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah, pleasantly surprised by this.  I've also noticed that the forecast for the next few days has risen a few degrees...hope this continues.

Yeah, anyone else noticing?  Now the highs for Monday pretty consistently in ATX are almost 30°.  That's easily 10°-15° warmer than forecast 24 hours ago.  Likewise, low for ATX Mon overnight is "only" 9° (vs. 0° or even less 24 hrs. earlier).

I don't know what's happening, but I'm getting to the bottom of this! 
But I'll be more than glad to take it.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

holy crap HEB was crazy this morning.  Almost hurricane like panic. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Or you could google “what is Houston’s record snowfall” and have it delivered to your intertron screen in .17 seconds.   What a fucking beating

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

My mom's house, where I grew up, has two of those built into the wall in each bathroom. I vaguely recall memories of her telling me a story when I was a kid about a kid playing in a cape around next to one burning himself alive. It was probably an urban rural legend, but I was always sure never to play Superman in the bathroom.

When I was a child—a long, long time ago—I backed up to an open-flame heater with nothing on but my underwear and a flannel robe. The robe caught fire and my dad tried to rip the robe off me but I panicked and ran. He caught me and smothered the flames with his hands, no doubt saving me from serious burns. True story.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cacti said:

When I was a child—a long, long time ago—I backed up to an open-flame heater with nothing on but my underwear and a flannel robe. The robe caught fire and my dad tried to rip the robe off me but I panicked and ran. He caught me and smothered the flames with his hands, no doubt saving me from serious burns. True story.

Thanks for sharing that with us. You must be new here.

38 minutes ago, Cacti said:

Damn.  How many spines did he get in his hands?

Edited by clapclapclap

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Damn.  How many spines did he get in his hands?

I was too young for spines, but he did get severe blisters on his hands.

I can’t make that story weather related so I’ll just add this: the wind chill is expected to be -20 in west Texas tomorrow night.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looked at the data, actually temps haven't changed all that much from extremes of forecasting, maybe a bit higher highs thru next week.  Still gonna be cold, lows in Austin about 9° Mon a.m. then 6° Tues a.m.  Mainly a few forecasts have ATX making mid-20's now on Mon.  But I guess it really doesn't matter, gonna be COLD.

You probably have a good part of Sunday to move around and prep.  Roads should generally be good thru dinner or after, though a few places might drop some slight glaze (fr. rain).  But I think it'll be a last chance to hit the highways before you're grounded Monday and most likely Tues. 

Forecasts aren't sure whether we'll make it past freezing on Wed.  But close.

High Saturday - 70 mf degrees with a low of 41.  Hell, that now seems tropical.  Anyway, cavalry's coming.  We'll be out of this shit by Thur (one more small storm to slap us Wed. evening, not the Sun-Mon whompass one, but enough to screw the roads again).  One more grit teeth and bend over... mother nature has one more corncob to shove up our not-cold-weather patootes.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Looked at the data, actually temps haven't changed all that much from extremes of forecasting, maybe a bit higher highs thru next week.  Still gonna be cold, lows in Austin about 9° Mon a.m. then 6° Tues a.m.  Mainly a few forecasts have ATX making mid-20's now on Mon.  But I guess it really doesn't matter, gonna be COLD.

You probably have a good part of Sunday to move around and prep.  Roads should generally be good thru dinner or after, though a few places might drop some slight glaze (fr. rain).  But I think it'll be a last chance to hit the highways before you're grounded Monday and most likely Tues. 

Forecasts aren't sure whether we'll make it past freezing on Wed.  But close.

High Saturday - 70 mf degrees with a low of 41.  Hell, that now seems tropical.  Anyway, cavalry's coming.  We'll be out of this shit by Wed.  One more grit teeth and bend over... mother nature has one more corncob to shove up our not-cold-weather patootes.

image.gif.b88c8014012d31a086301e4d11ba7311.gif

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Asked my wife to check with her brothers to make sure their mother's house has the yard faucets covered. Her brother texted back that's a scam and as long as the heat is on inside nothing will happen to them. 

Plumbing damage is a myth cooked up by the old rags and duct tape industry to sell a couple of extra black garbage bags every 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Asked my wife to check with her brothers to make sure their mother's house has the yard faucets covered. Her brother texted back that's a scam and as long as the heat is on inside nothing will happen to them. 
We shall see. 

U and your fucked brother are fucked
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

We shall see. 

Sounds like my fucking brother.  I live 90 miles from Mom.  He lives 20 miles from her and works a 7-3 job, M-F.   Can't do shit for her.

Makes me ragey at times.  55 years old and still waits for the rest of the world to take care of him.  Can't do shit for others.

10 hours ago, slorch said:

My niece sat on one of those (very briefly) 60 years ago. 
Her husband says she still has the burn scars.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Power's on. Pipes are fine. Live oaks are still standing with just a few more of my neighbor's limbs down in my yard. That's a big check in the win column for last night. I hope everyone else got through unscathed.

Yeah central Dallas did get a dusting of pellets.  Perfect to make the area into a hockey rink for driving purposes.  Not enough to bring down trees, limbs, or power lines, I don't believe.

We have the heat on 70, really dries your shit out.  It's 19-20 out.

2 degrees in Amarillo.  some of the grass is barely poking through the top of the snow, so about 2"?  Supposed to keep snowing until about 11AM.   Looks like we are getting the low end of some of the predictions... One showed 17".  

Still colder than hell with a "Feels like of -18" and tonight is supposed to be -9 actual temp. Fuck that nonsense.