2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

Noice!  Is the boy coming out of his fatigue issues you’ve mentioned previously? I know that shit was dragging on for awhile, so it’s good to see he has the energy to keep up with the Jeremiah Jackson version of BT. 

He’s making progress. Still gets run down if his motor runs too long, but able to function on a schedule that’s close to normal teenage boy. Still will sleep 12-13 hours on a weekend if he can, but it’s not essential to him being able to function.

And baseball season has started, so he’s active most every day, which is good for him. That’s one reason I wanted us to lumberjack today - we both needed the physical activity.

And the reward....stupid f’n cat:

d05ae7d9960b1345fe2f018658704e27.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He’s making progress. Still gets run down if his motor runs too long, but able to function on a schedule that’s close to normal teenage boy. Still will sleep 12-13 hours on a weekend if he can, but it’s not essential to him being able to function.

And baseball season has started, so he’s active most every day, which is good for him. That’s one reason I wanted us to lumberjack today - we both needed the physical activity.

Shiny cat?

• Like 2

Crossposted from the Big Green Egg thread. Making smoked chili while waiting for the snow here in Sugar Land.

Farm wells have been shut off and drained. Chickens have food and coops are turned out of the north. Sprinkler system here at the house has been drained. Going to shut off and drain the house plumbing tonight before bed. Also plan to turn the pool pump on to run overnight too. 

Now we just wait and eat chili and drink. 

IMG_5525.thumb.jpg.aab5932feec68687f51f95786b7ad7e9.jpg

IMG_5526.thumb.jpg.aa3debe36d645c569760e15f1235231e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That cat looks Armybrat old

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

This is probably more info for another well known thread.

I’ve had the heat set on 73 all day to help keep the pipes warm. Earlier the lady decided to clean her sons room while he is at his dads house. I helped her pull the bedding and start washing it and went about my business.

Two hours goes by and I am noticing it get cooler and cooler very rapidly. So I bump the thermostat to 75. Still getting cooler.

A few minutes ago the last of the bedding from the boys bed is dry so I go to take it into the room. Open the door and it is COLD. The window is OPEN!

”I just wanted to let some fresh air in”

No fucking way 

40 minutes ago, Damor said:

Thank you.  Unfortunately I don't have a master cutoff valve to the outdoor kitchen (don't get me started).

Since a picture's worth a thousand words and I'm probably using the wrong terminology, here's my current situation:

PXL_20210214_225549733.thumb.jpg.78955b9b53a2d48481802e2b551515e6.jpg

So the valve is off, but I couldn't get all up in there to disconnect the hot water line to the sink.  The cold water line is disconnected and the valve closed.

My ignorant thought was that if this valve is closed and I keep it reasonably warm in there, ice shouldn't be able to propagate back in to the PEX line.  But is it worth flailing around back there to try to disconnect this line?

Looks good.  I’ve just got a shop lamp with a 75W bulb under where the pipes come out of the wall.  The stub outs have been there for a decade, and far as I know never froze...now they’re protected by the cabinet and warmed by the bulb (hopefully).  Shall see

• Hook 'Em 1

Shiny cat?

Yep.

That cat looks Armybrat old

Well, he ain’t young...but armybrat probably has a better ticker. He just spent two nights at the vet ER with a cardiac event a few weeks ago. It was his second such event, he has congestive heart failure. Trying to keep him going till the boy graduates high school. Sigh. And the dog is getting old. And my mom is in cancer treatment. The family is going to deal with a lot of death in the next few years, that’s just the way it be.

So enjoying the moments while we’ve got em. Sitting by the fire on a snowy day is such a pleasure.
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

This is probably more info for another well known thread.

I’ve had the heat set on 73 all day to help keep the pipes warm. Earlier the lady decided to clean her sons room while he is at his dads house. I helped her pull the bedding and start washing it and went about my business.

Two hours goes by and I am noticing it get cooler and cooler very rapidly. So I bump the thermostat to 75. Still getting cooler.

A few minutes ago the last of the bedding from the boys bed is dry so I go to take it into the room. Open the door and it is COLD. The window is OPEN!

”I just wanted to let some fresh air in”

Torbush.  Hope you put this in the wives thread too.

1 hour ago, texhorn said:

The power grid is getting slammed... ERCOT forecast has demand exceeding supply tonight at 9. Urging customers to conserve electricity to prevent rolling blackouts. Unplug/turn off shit you’re not using.

This is their latest graph:

grid.png.b9caab90b87c844ac71dc5c15a583f57.png

Not sure what that large dropoff after current time means, but that don't look good.

Here's their message, I've bolded the stuff that we should all be doing:

Grid operator requests energy conservation for system reliability

AUSTIN, TX, Feb. 14, 2021 – The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is asking consumers and businesses to reduce their electricity use as much as possible Sunday, Feb. 14 through Tuesday, Feb. 16.

"We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units. We are asking Texans to take some simple, safe steps to lower their energy use during this time."

Here are some tips to reduce electricity use:

• Turn down thermostats to 68-degrees.
  • Close shades and blinds to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
  • Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
  • Avoid using large appliances (i.e., ovens, washing machines, etc.).
  • Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
  • Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.

Given the prolonged, below-freezing temperatures, conservation measures should be implemented safely and within reason.

ERCOT has the tools and procedures in place to maintain a reliable electric system during tight grid conditions. If power reserves drop too low, ERCOT may need to declare an Energy Emergency Alert, or EEA. Declaring an EEA allows the grid operator to take advantage of additional resources that are only available during scarcity conditions. There are three levels of EEA, and rotating outages are only implemented as a last resort to maintain reliability of the electric system.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, phdhorn said:

... but you just know there are tons of people running 80° thermostats while doing laundry and blasting space heaters.  Because I'm too important (or ignorant) to follow the rules.

80? Seriously? We keep ours at 67 in the winter and just layer if we feel cold. Lots of cocoa and hot tea.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

What’s wrong with all you fuckers—my thermostat is at 63*. It’s glorious.

People can't fathom anything but bare feet, shorts, and a tank inside.  Instead of putting on something warm, they think they should crank up the heat.

I ain't wearing no fucking mask and I ain't setting my thermostat below 70 because I am a southern gentleman who takes care of my neighbors.

Actually, we're running at 64 right now and we're gonna keep it there to do our part.  Hand washed all dinner dishes just now and ain't doing laundry tomorrow.  It's what men do to take care of those in their community but that's lost on most "Texans" these days.  Using mostly the outdoor grill and the inside gas stove to cook to avoid using the oven but maybe once every two days for one family meal.  

Appreciate all the good advice on this thread.  And the shitty advice too.

All of my fretting is probably just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, though, because this outdoor pot filler is going to be the thing that gets me:PXL_20210215_000131440.thumb.jpg.d545b39824e527c2f2dc75a1c1ea01a1.jpg

FML.  But whatever, here comes the snow.  Let's do this.

PXL_20210215_000106874_2.thumb.jpg.d679ba3eb98ee8ea846515e8c1697c7e.jpg

Edited by Damor
muledick
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I ain't wearing no fucking mask and I ain't setting my thermostat below 70 because I am a southern gentleman who takes care of my neighbors.

Actually, we're running at 64 right now and we're gonna keep it there to do our part.  Hand washed all dinner dishes just now and ain't doing laundry tomorrow.  It's what men do to take care of those in their community but that's lost on most "Texans" these days.  Using mostly the outdoor grill and the inside gas stove to cook to avoid using the oven but maybe once every two days for one family meal.  

64/65 is my usual setting although I bumped it up to 67 this morning in anticipation of Hoth like conditions. Guess i'll bump it back down.