2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

11 minutes ago, drt said:

Belongs in the holy shit thread

Got that cold a few times when I was a kid in North Dakota.  Those animals are smart enough to eat snow for water, and to brush the snow out of the way for the grass.

The scary thing is, that as cold as it was, we only lost power once or twice in two years during the winter, but the reservations down the highway from us, half those people didn't have decent electricity/running water when the weather was decent.

24 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Uh I could use a repeat. 

Do you shut it off and open the door?

I just made room in my main fridge by tossing some frozen berries and shit.   We are still above freezing so just opening garage fridge wont work.  

if you dont have room, maybe you could out a cooler outside? 

Edited by Xian
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also, holy fuk, those keeping your heater in the 70s.  My wife keeps ours at 68 and I'll sneak it down to 65 when she's not looking.   Im fine in warm ups and a flannel shirt.  I was actually sweating under the blankets last night.  

Same. I’d die if it were that hot in my house. 

18 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Went with 2 washcloths zip-tied over the faucets, then covered with a regular foam cover. Then wrapped in a mid sized towel with duct tape. All covered by a plastic flower pot. Every inside faucet is dripping. 

We'll see I guess. 

Lol. I mean, if that doesn’t work, fuck us all. 

• Haha 4

I ain't wearing no fucking mask and I ain't setting my thermostat below 70 because I am a southern gentleman who takes care of my neighbors.

Actually, we're running at 64 right now and we're gonna keep it there to do our part.  Hand washed all dinner dishes just now and ain't doing laundry tomorrow.  It's what men do to take care of those in their community but that's lost on most "Texans" these days.  Using mostly the outdoor grill and the inside gas stove to cook to avoid using the oven but maybe once every two days for one family meal.  

Pussy

a66033c1cbc326802623df5d37c1e4a3.jpg
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Did anyone else just turn off their water entirely? I purged all of our lines, but now I'm not sure where the family is gonna take a shit. LOL.

I would have liked to, and seriously discussed it with a neighbor (our meters are next to each other).  It took both of us getting the cover off yesterday, thought the fucking thing was welded or something, and of course it was not pretty inside.  Our first thought was that there was leak and shit was froze up making it hard to get the cover off.

Anyways, I wish I had.  We have a large bathtub.  We have plenty of jugs of water, as well as various containers.

Yeah, really wishing I had.

• Hook 'Em 1

The temperature in my unheated but attached garage is right about 39 degrees now, I've never seen it this low. I have a hose spigot on the outside wall of the garage and the warmth of the garage interior is the only thing keeping it from freezing (it's wrapped and covered, but still).  If the garage gets much colder I'm thinking of propping the house-->garage door open and blowing some warm house air in there. It would be an energy efficiency holocaust, though, to try to treat the garage as conditioned/heated space...

32 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I have the upstairs at 76 which means the bedrooms are 72-73. I got two kiddos under 2 that don’t sleep with blankets. Sorry ercot. 

I am impressed my house is keeping up for now. 

76 degrees?  I wish you the best through menopause, good sir. 

4 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

The temperature in my unheated but attached garage is right about 39 degrees now, I've never seen it this low. I have a hose spigot on the outside wall of the garage and the warmth of the garage interior is the only thing keeping it from freezing (it's wrapped and covered, but still).  If the garage gets much colder I'm thinking of propping the house-->garage door open and blowing some warm house air in there. It would be an energy efficiency holocaust, though, to try to treat the garage as conditioned/heated space...

Had a friend post on Facebook with a similar issue.  He had a bunch of cardboard boxes in the garage from various Amazon purchases.  He used them to make a funnel of sorts from his hours/garage door to where the outside faucet is, and also used cardboard to make a barrier for the door (minus a space cut out for his tunnel of boxes).

12 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Team drip the outdoor faucets still holding it down. No freezes of the flow over the past 10+ hours. Pencil sized flow of water on both. 

will check again at midnight / 2 am bc I’ve had entirely too much coffee today and won’t be sleeping well either way. 

I knew my drip had failed last night and I spent the whole time just tossing and turning.  Horrible night's sleep, even though I knew it wasn't yet cold enough to be a big problem.  Ran a power cord this morning and took a hair dryer to both spigots, and voila (wallah!) flow ensued.

Now I'm obsessed with making sure it doesn't freeze again.  I'll be trudging around my yard every 2-3 hours for sure.  If anyone hears tomorrow about a dude who slipped and cracked his skull open, subsequently freezing to death, that will be me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1