2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Don’t tell me these things. Not now man. 

Next time I'll just point you to the Surly hurricane threads.

I'm stressed.  I really fucked around yesterday by not testing the water cutoff, and hopefully won't find out tonight or tomorrow that I should have tested it.

I've got the wet/dry vac handy, and I could immediately run all of the indoor faucets at full-blast to try and get the water pressure to the busted pipe reduced, and have a kid constantly flushing the toilet, while I was getting the water turned off.

My plumbing experience is pretty limited to things I picked up from the Red Green Show, and they are located in Canada, so they know shit.  

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Clutch (lucky) move by kxan to hire this banning
guy in time for snowpocalypse.

Also this is working really well so far. I put my finger in there and the towel is actually warm on the inside. Lights have been in since yest morning a1f92ffcef178672d296b223c7a3d007.jpga1d06d8d536cffe5e8ab031aff2d4deb.jpg

This is some Red Green Show shit right here.

Kudos to you sir!  I may have to dig out the lights and see if we have non-LEDs.

This is some Red Green Show shit right here.
Kudos to you sir!  I may have to dig out the lights and see if we have non-LEDs.
Thanks. But I can't claim credit. Someone upthread posted this idea and I explained it to my wife and she rigged everything up. The kids and I spent the entire day taking care of the live oak. Lost most of it but I think we managed to save it.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Next time I'll just point you to the Surly hurricane threads.

I'm stressed.  I really fucked around yesterday by not testing the water cutoff, and hopefully won't find out tonight or tomorrow that I should have tested it.

I've got the wet/dry vac handy, and I could immediately run all of the indoor faucets at full-blast to try and get the water pressure to the busted pipe reduced, and have a kid constantly flushing the toilet, while I was getting the water turned off.

My plumbing experience is pretty limited to things I picked up from the Red Green Show, and they are located in Canada, so they know shit.  

I literally just got done dealing with water damage for a straight month and do NOT want to go through it again. I have spray foam insulation and a 10 year old house. I’m praying that alone might put me in a better position. Two exterior spigots that have styrofoam covers and all interior faucets dripping and cabinets open. I’m gonna try and get some sleep now. Probably will wake up a few times in the night to make sure I’m not being flooded from a busted pipe. This blows man. 

33 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

The "snow" is getting heavy here in NB. But by "snow" I mean more like sleet that's blowing all over the place. Maybe the snowflakes will come later, but maybe it's too cold for that. 

Hopefully it's not making the branches too bad, unlike that shitshow the other night where the freezing rain was icing the hell out of the trees.

But hopefully that storm the other night took out the weakest links.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Somehow faucetgate and the associated levels of prepper paranoia needs to make its way into the surly dictionary because this has been a fascinating thing to be a part of.  I’m thanking my lucky stars on OCD levels of Google fu, a broken F5 key and online order/pickup for managing to grab two puny space heaters at homeless despot yesterday...but if we lose power I’m joining the poors.  

The ice shards flying against my window sound like the wind chime ‘you’re listening to KUT’ lady who says they bring out the spirits when I’m listening to NPR.  The ice bullets better not be sticking to what’s left of my trees, got one propped with an extra 2x6 from my raised beds project and another from a pair of 8’ fence stiles jammed onto stacked bags of compost...that shit ain’t gonna last.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hopefully it's not making the branches too bad, unlike that shitshow the other night where the freezing rain was icing the hell out of the trees.

But hopefully that storm the other night took out the weakest links.

I just did a lap -- the stuff on the ground now is legit snow, I don't think it's nearly so hard on the beaver, er, trees.

31 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Where is the meteorologist?  What are the conditions that create freezing rain/sleet versus snow?

I'll take my answer offline. 

Not a meteorologist but kxan said earlier that if there is a warm air bubble then snow falls through it and melts and then refreezes into sleet. Freezing rain does not refreeze before hitting the ground, and snow occurs when there are no warm air pockets.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wife and the 4 month old are tucked in and asleep in our bedroom since we’re attempting to divert heat to the living room and master and away from the other bedrooms.   I’ve had a fire going for a while just in case.   Power has flickered off and back on about 6 times.  I don’t know how I’m gonna get a good night’s sleep.  Last thing I want is to wake up at 3am to a 51 degree house and the baby getting too cold then having to jumpstart a fire.  Uggh 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

This is fucking stupid. 

I'm with 2 people not from here right now. I'm trying to convey to them how insane this is, and that I will probably be dead by the time this happens again in Austin. And I plan to live quite awhile longer.

I recorded KXAN 10 PM because I was watching something else -- just now flipped it on.  (Nothing like being 2 hours late.)

I love these "man on the scene" reports from fresh grads who no doubt feel like they're at the Katrina storm surge.  "Robert, sometimes it's sleet, sometimes it's snow, it's crazy out here."  "Robert, my balcony is almost unnavigable.  I am keeping it safe!"

• Hook 'Em 1

I made it 10 houses down and there was a tree down across the road. It is colder than I expected and I think we might all die. Up side teh atv will be able to make it to whatever store sells liquor should I run out tomorrow. My wife woke up and is mad I "wrecklessly went out in the storm while drunk." Thabkfully she went back to bed and I can drink in peace.  Godspeed gents..

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

That’s weird to me.  Does your ac run nonstop often in summer?
Not non-stop in the summer, but our house does face perfectly NNE-SSW, so when something blows in through the North, it hits all back windows and the back door square on. I insulated the sockets and light switches on that side of the house because when a cold front blew through, you could feel a slight breeze coming out of them.

This house gets kicked in the teeth every cold front, but this is going to be 3 straight days of cold fronts.

Just now, Eastwood said:

Not non-stop in the summer, but our house does face perfectly NNE-SSW, so when something blows in through the North, it hits all back windows and the back door square on. I insulated the sockets and light switches on that side of the house because when a cold front blew through, you could feel a slight breeze coming out of them.

This house gets kicked in the teeth every cold front, but this is going to be 3 straight days of cold fronts.

Not sure if houses are built differently up here, but my sliding glass back door faces north and I’ve been in subzero temps for I think 5 days straight now with the exception of a few hours today where it got up to 5 or so, and my heater is off more than it’s on. 

insulation should be just as important down there for summer time, only other difference I can think of is my hvac is under the house so we have floor vents instead of ceiling vents. Maybe the heat starting at floor level and rising is significantly more efficient. 

My heater has been running non-stop for over an hour now. Heat pump system with aux heat set to 65. Outside unit is close to 10 years old. Hope it makes it through this.

Supposedly heat pumps are having trouble with this cold?

Just something I heard. No idea if true. I have a gas system