2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Logical people:  Turn your thermostats down, stop doing shit with your laundry/stove/whatever in the hopes that it also helps keep your place warm.

Austinites:  FUCK WE BETTER CRANK THE HEAT WAY UP IN CASE WE LOSE POWER, SO IT'LL BUY US SOME TIME WHILE WE WAIT FOR THE POWER TO COME BACK!

to be fair, change "Austinites" to "Americans" ... we are a selfish society. The thing is... now that we know about the ERCOT thing... is it really bad to turn up your heat when almost everyone else won't because they're already asleep? 

Stay safe Texas.

For the less prepared (not any of you):

Spoiler

Get the gloves/hats/blankets/sleeping bags and layer your clothes. 

Feet with boots inside and out (to protect from cold) and thick socks.

Gloves on outside always and inside when idle.

Hat always on. You lose a lot of heat. through your head. Use that hat like a Fremen using a Stillsuit on Dune.

Hot chocolate, hot food, hydrate. 

Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

speaking of rolling blackouts - are those a thing right now?

just lost power for about 15 mins, back on - was that what that was? (central austin)

we've got a gas fireplace...basically will just camp out in the living room regardless - big picture window to the front street through which to watch developments in wonderment, landscape of unmarred bright white at the moment.

it occurred to me earlier this evening, this is yet another in the longest consecutive list of 'firsts' we have encountered in the last 12 months...

i mean, it's kind of been a lot guys.  

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Here in 78744 it has certainly surpassed the snowfall from a few weeks back which was already impressive by Austin standards.

It looks like 6" already, and is still coming down.

Freaking awesome, except for the frozen pipes and rolling blackouts...

Pretty sure the snowfall doesn't really affect the frozen pipes and blackouts as much as the whack ass temperature. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Pipes and power are the problem.

This is what I miss about our place up north - it had a full-length basement - bathroom, small bedroom, office, shit-ton of storage, large game room, furnace room.

All of the pipes and power were all accessible.  The basement actually stuck out of the ground like a foot and a half or so (so the first/top floor was raised), and there were windows/window wells along one side.  We'd put these bubble covers over the window wells when it started snowing.  We could turn off the water to the outside faucets from inside the basement, and drain them from the turnoff to the outside faucet.

Shitload of room for us kids to not be in each other's hair. 

And it was built really well.  Well insulated and everything.

But it was really fucking cold for 7 months out of the year.  So don't miss that.   I could handle New England cold, but not that fucking prairie shit blowing sub-zero temperatures right off of Canada/Montana cold.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Stay safe Texas.

For the less prepared (not any of you):

Hide contents

Get the gloves/hats/blankets/sleeping bags and layer your clothes. 

Feet with boots inside and out (to protect from cold) and thick socks.

Gloves on outside always and inside when idle.

Hat always on. You lose a lot of heat. through your head. Use that hat like a Fremen using a Stillsuit on Dune.

Hot chocolate, hot food, hydrate. 

Good luck.

My wife hates beanies. It's a thing. Dunno why. When we moved in together I probably owned 4. Today I dug out the last one and was like "HAHA I found the last one you didn't throw away." 

I got tone. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is what I miss about our place up north - it had a full-length basement - bathroom, small bedroom, office, shit-ton of storage, large game room, furnace room.

All of the pipes and power were all accessible.  The basement actually stuck out of the ground like a foot and a half or so (so the first/top floor was raised), and there were windows/window wells along one side.  We'd put these bubble covers over the window wells when it started snowing.  We could turn off the water to the outside faucets from inside the basement, and drain them from the turnoff to the outside faucet.

Shitload of room for us kids to not be in each other's hair. 

And it was built really well.  Well insulated and everything.

Lot's of homes like this in the St. Louis area.  A friends family had their basement finished out like an efficiency apartment.  Very cool.

Daughter, fat little rescue chihuahua, and me are in an uninsulated cabin on the lower San Bernard down by Sweeny in southern Brazoria County. It's 21 and the wind is whipping through blowing ice crystals. There's a crust of mixed ice and sleet on the ground about 1/4" deep. We have a decrepit window unit heater, a $20 space heater from HEB, a 1960s space heater on the screened in porch to protect the laundry room pipes, and a stove I've cranked up to 400 degrees and left slightly open. All good so far. We are one fallen tree branch from the Shackelton Expedition, however. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So, we took a trip to Galveston for the weekend and left the inside faucets slowly dripping, but just used those styrofoam covers for the 2 outside faucets, no drip. We were planning on driving back to Austin tomorrow (Monday), but I'm starting to plan on staying here another day in hope that the roads get a bit better by Tuesday.

Really hoping that I don't return home to a flooded house or something like that. It's a new construction and just moved in last July. Stressing me the hell out.

Pocket beer is a thing. It works. Try it.
I am a gd hero with the heaters. People give you shit for having heaters for your deer blind but when the world is ending and your family needs to be warm, they fucking work. We might survive this.
I've been inside a deer stand for 4 hours starting predawn when it was 11 degrees. Would've killed for feet warmers more than anything else.
This gives me a little hope - Weather.com says this is the coldest it's going to be right now.  
We've been in the teens since yesterday evening, and now we've hopefully bottomed out.
tenor.gif
It's going to be even colder tmw night going into Tuesday morning.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I just turned mine down to 68. Wife will be bitching in the morning.

I was surprised to see that they are asking people to lower the thermostat to 68. I keep mine at 66 anything higher and the air gets too fucking hot.

What kind of animals run their heater over 68?

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Daughter, fat little rescue chihuahua, and me are in an uninsulated cabin on the lower San Bernard down by Sweeny in southern Brazoria County. It's 21 and the wind is whipping through blowing ice crystals. There's a crust of mixed ice and sleet on the ground about 1/4" deep. We have a decrepit window unit heater, a $20 space heater from HEB, a 1960s space heater on the screened in porch to protect the laundry room pipes, and a stove I've cranked up to 400 degrees and left slightly open. All good so far. We are one fallen tree branch from the Shackelton Expedition, however. 

leonardo dicaprio monday GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

It's going to be even colder tmw night going into Tuesday morning.

Not by much - I'm seeing we will drop another degree or two over the next few hours.  If we can make it through this and into the morning (go sunshine!), it will warm up rapidly into the 20s, and we should be fine for tomorrow night (even if it hits the teens, it won't be as bad as now) - hell Tuesday is showing us getting above freezing.

But I will still probably join #TeamStream, soon to be #TeamFlow, tomorrow evening.

I'm hating these forecasts though. 

And I've totally given up on Dark Sky.  It was my go-to for so long.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Thanks. I'm kind of curious if they're sophisticated enough to coordinate the texts with the actual areas experiencing blackouts.

They probably are.  Otherwise a shitload of us would be getting the texts but no blackouts - I have friends who have had them in Austin, and some are fairly close, but we did not get the warning.