2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

54 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Woke up to all my faucets still dripping inside, so I'm just gonna ignore the outside covered spigots for now because I dont feel like fucking with em. 

There's a thick layer of ice under all the snow in my neighborhood, I slipped a few times while walking the dogs this morning. If you've gotta drive anywhere, be safe. Because nobody knows how to handle ice in TX

do you panhandle much?

• Like 1

I previously wrapped the hose bibs in foam padding, towel and a plastic sheet. inside to out order.  Is there any reason not to wrap it with a heating pad for 30 minutes to heat it some, as a precaution?  I don't necessarily think it will warm the pipe much but it might warm up the insulating layers which could help with potential freezing.

Or is this just a waste of time/energy?

6 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

I feel asleep and the power went out for a couple of hours. I figured the pool equipment was a solid block of ice so I didn't mess with it. Power came on and the pumps are running. Have 3/4" to 1" ice on the pool except for where the sun deck bubbler isce4232b96f333e18669df5ab947daec6.jpg

Current state of our pool 

20210215_092048.thumb.jpg.843d5e58ecdd0542b9e2b51da636ec2a.jpg

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Thank God we have a gas stove.

And a gas fireplace & central heat.

68 in the house. Opened the blinds in the breakfast room bay window to warm up the kitchen area. 
Was 45 in the insulated garage, so put a small electric space heater pointed at the wall where the outside hose bib is located.  It is up 47 after just 1 hour. Then I remembered the infrared lamp that gets really hot, so put it out in front of the workbench.

• Hook 'Em 1

Everything in my apartment is electric.  If only my water heater and oven ran on gas I could deal with no power short term no problem, just an inconvenience.

I can't run any hot water through the pipes, I can't make any coffee with my french press, any food has to be eaten cold....

Fuck this shit!

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

And a gas fireplace & central heat.

68 in the house. Opened the blinds in the breakfast room bay window to warm up the kitchen area. 
Was 45 in the insulated garage, so put a small electric space heater pointed at the wall where the outside hose bib is located.  It is up 47 after just 1 hour. Then I remembered the infrared lamp that gets really hot, so put it out in front of the workbench.

Does your garage really need the space heater turned on? 

19 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

No power loss out in NB, although areas of my neighborhood are saying they had some rolling outages overnight. Outdoor spigots are both frozen. Tried thawing them out but it's not going to happen. Everything inside is fine except one hot water supply line in a bathroom. We have PEX, so hopefully it holds. So far my well pump is working fine. Glad I got the space heater out in the well house, because I'm seeing some people start to report their well pumps or lines frozen up.

I'm on the opposite side of NB from you, and we've had three 40 minute blackouts since 3am. Power flickering off in between. 

I also have the weird one random hot faucet in our bathroom not working. The other hot one 3 feet away is working fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm on the opposite side of NB from you, and we've had three 40 minute blackouts since 3am. Power flickering off in between. 

I also have the weird one random hot faucet in our bathroom not working. The other hot one 3 feet away is working fine. 

You east of 35?

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Does your garage really need the space heater turned on? 

Yeah, don’t want the hose bib pipe on the outside wall to freeze.

Am glad I insulated the walls & ceiling above when the house was built, then replaced the cheap builder grade garage door with a decent insulated one.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Carrollton reporting in. Powers gone out twice but no more than a total of an hour. Inside faucets still dripping but haven't the courage to check on the outside spigot. I've got them all covered and going to ride or die with Team No Drip.

Snow looks beautiful though and just had my first pedestrian walk by with a big fat Starbuck's cup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No loss of power yet at my house in the CP.  PEC website with outage data shows they're keeping a constant ~70% with power as they roll the blackouts, but so far it hasn't hit me.

Also, team outside-spigot-wrap-and-roll, no drip.  Doing fine so far. All interior faucets working, gas hot water working.

Pool pumps all running but the shallow end of the pool where it's only a few inches deep because of the sun platform, is starting to ice over.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Carrollton reporting in. Powers gone out twice but no more than a total of an hour. Inside faucets still dripping but haven't the courage to check on the outside spigot. I've got them all covered and going to ride or die with Team No Drip.

Snow looks beautiful though and just had my first pedestrian walk by with a big fat Starbuck's cup. 

Addison here and all good so far. Friends in Little Elm have had rolling blackouts every hour and my mom is in Decatur and has had no power since about about 4am or at least that is when she woke up and noticed. 

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

who is "they"?

do you mean republican lawmakers explaining taxes and infrastructure to the hatebase?

careful with the cloak room talk.  I'm no PhDhorn, but I've noticed this massive snow dump (and the ice dump coming on Wednesday) are the result of the massive arctic air mass dropping down on Texas like an anvil, coupled with a shitton of moisture pouring in to meet it from down South.  They converged and that's why I'm looking out my office window at 6"+ of snow when most early reports had us getting 2".  The reason this happened is, again southern moisture meeting this front.  If we had the national will to build the rest of that Wall, the moisture would have not gotten into Texas and caused all this accumulation.  This is the kinda shit that happens when you have porous borders to the South.  You don't see snowfall like this at our northern borders, do you?  

7 hours ago, F250 said:

Temperature lowering forcing millions of heating systems to keep up the houses temperature puts a major strain on the grid.

No different than it reaching capacity at 4 PM in late July.

extremely different

generation capacity is the problem today

4pm in late july is demand outstripping 100% capacity

4am in texcanada is demand outstripping ??% capacity

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

guess you'll be having whiskey over ice then.

Ha! I may melt some snow just in case. Filled bathtub just in case for toilet flushing and hand washing BUT pipes are in attic and did everything they said to do and left faucets dripping and woke up to no water. I can’t complain bc too much bc I currently have power. It was off for over 3 hours last night. I have sole possession of the remote so there is that. Lots to be thankful for...

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

So now I'm pissed, especially because of seeing the usual massive glow on the horizon, and I took a brief drive.   Sure enough, the shopping centers had all their parking lot lights going full bore, some dumbass bar was blasting music outside despite being closed, most had their signs lit up, billboards lit, and the sporting goods/movie complex strip center had their giant bright video board still running some stupid advertising.  As I turned around that side got hit with a blackout, but I can now see the same glow again.  What a god damn stupid waste.

Why are non-essential businesses like sporting goods, clothing stores, and movie theaters even open the next 3 days, since the governor declared a state of emergency?  Hey Abbott, get off your ass (figuratively) and close them, cut their lighting to 10% max of normal, no advertising, etc.  Why do their lots need full lighting at 3am?  People are going to lose their pipes if we get too many blackouts, seeing the retail waste is infuriating.

fucking this

zero coordination from wheels on down

mothball the fucking empty strip centers and class A buildings, especially the empty towers with their own generators

you think those generators were running last night to get that load off the grid?

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

hahaha my kids lasted all of 10 minutes out there. probably for the better, i guess, with the wind, but damn. if i was a kid (and i kind of still am) i'd want to be out there all day long.

layer-up.jpg

My two year old kept yelling that he wanted to go out there. We made it long enough to take a pic and throw a couple snowballs before he was running back inside. Should have made him shovel some snow for an hour to build some character.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2