Parliament

ercot list:

Utility Directories:

http://www.puc.state.tx.us/industry/electric/directories/Default.aspx

Consumer Assistance

Public Utility Commission Consumer Hotline: 1-888-782-8477

Office of Public Utility Counsel Consumer Assistance: 1-877-839-0363

• Hook 'Em 3

Wonder how they choose who gets to be the icicle sacrifice. My neighborhood has two sides, one is more subdivisiony and one is more rural with big lots. Subdivision had power cut most of the night. My side has had power on the entire time. I'm hoping someone important in New Braunfels lives in one of those multi-million dollar houses on the Guadalupe on my side of the hood and is using some influence on the power company.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Ranch at Brushy Creek. 

Team PEC checking in Circle and 290. Power all night and day so far.  PEC has a service center and yard almost directly across the street and next to it is a firestation.  Fingers crossed.

Hopefully this makes up for...checks watch...the 107 consecutive hours (and counting) below freezing thus far and the 1/4" of ice still on everything from Thursday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Friends of ours who live in new garden homes by Lakeline Station have no hot water. Nor do their neighbors. Builder installed tankless units on the outside of the homes (I'm guessing to eliminate venting issues). Apparently they didn't think that one all the way through.

I've worked with a lot of construction crews over the years in multi-family, but that one might take the cake.  May as well put the condenser unit for the A/C up in the attic while you're at it.  I can't believe that's even fucking allowed by code.  The logistics and climate issues alone, but nevermind just the fucking ease with which they can be stolen.  I'm not one for litigation, but I'd fucking sue 'em after this storm.  

Seeing skylines lit up is just infuriating. Residential towers fine but office buildings and decorative lights? The state needs to have a legit power conservation plan with enforcement provisions for this kind of stuff, it’s not like summer heat and rolling blackouts aren’t a thing. I get polar vortex, but planning for these extremes unlike expanding capacity for such events should doable. From wheels to Adler to Ercot, just dumb. Accountability needed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

austin energy can't turn the power back on for areas that are shut off?  the everloving fuck?

That was my question in an earlier post. They’ve lost the ability to continue the rolling blackouts? Like they can’t move to the next neighborhood? I don’t get it, makes no sense. 

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty crazy that this is how people lived all the time less than a century again

even crazier that people in the midwest do this shit multiple times a year, every year

We never had pipe issues when we lived up north, but we had no heat for three days one January and a baby a few months old. That was rough but in some ways easier because having the frozen pipes or well would be worse because we had shelter and water; dealing with a baby and repairs like that in the cold would’ve been ugh. 
Hang in there everybody. 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Seeing skylines lit up is just infuriating. Residential towers fine but office buildings and decorative lights? The state needs to have a legit power conservation plan with enforcement provisions for this kind of stuff, it’s not like summer heat and rolling blackouts aren’t a thing. I get polar vortex, but planning for these extremes unlike expanding capacity for such events should doable. From wheels to Adler to Ercot, just dumb. Accountability needed.

I know they can’t just cut power downtown, but maybe they can fine buildings that continue to run decorative lighting during declared power emergencies?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty crazy that this is how people lived all the time less than a century again

even crazier that people in the midwest do this shit multiple times a year, every year

But we don't really.  This event really highlights the structural differences in home design and utility infrastructure.  Outside of occasional "Oh Shit" moments like a furnace failing or -20 temps that test the buried pipes and extra home insulation, we don't even have to worry about the weather you're experiencing.

It's also why when one of us bitches about a specific winter weather event, you can be assured that it's not just something we "signed up for", and instead something out of the ordinary.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

None of my neighbors have water either. 🥶 was hoping I could pop over to take a shower. Nope. Back to melting snow. Team Snow Melt! 

I’m guessing that water will be much better than the crap the COA delivers to your tap anyway.  And you can always melt enough to take a whore bath with a washcloth. 

• Like 1

I've worked with a lot of construction crews over the years in multi-family, but that one might take the cake.  May as well put the condenser unit for the A/C up in the attic while you're at it.  I can't believe that's even fucking allowed by code.  The logistics and climate issues alone, but nevermind just the fucking ease with which they can be stolen.  I'm not one for litigation, but I'd fucking sue 'em after this storm.  
Yeah, I'm trying to confirm the units are outside or in his garage on an uninsulated wall. These places started in the mid 400s when built 4 or 5 years ago & I know they pay a hefty HOA. Definitely not low rent & the people who bought them will raise hell.

This....is sub optimal. All indoor faucets except the north facing kitchen are running cold water, on steady drips. In fact, I just ran the bath for a bit to get the water in the city line moving. Hot water still ok. Outside pipes....concerning.

48 in the house. We were holding steady at 50 with the fire, but we went outside for a bit and I let it burn down. Got it fired back up, but it’s hard to keep pace with the cold.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

nbc5 from oncor

not enough natural gas to fire the plants and turbines out west frozen

"rolling" outages now going to last another 24 hours

silence from wheels and the government

Getting better in Austin with 13.3% solar generation.  Double what it was an hour or so ago.

https://austinenergy.com/ae/about/environment/renewable-power-generation