2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

1 minute ago, fuggled said:

Clay Jenkins says help is coming.  Hopefully they'll explain why they didn't have these peaker plants ready to go ahead of time.

Seriously.  We've been talking about this storm for 2 weeks.  How the fuck are we JUST NOW getting "Peaker Plants" online?  JFC

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Denton, east side off Mckinney

North denton here.  

Starting at about 2 am, power was off for an hour, then on for an hour.  Not too bad and feel for those who have had it worse.  Power has now been on since about 3 pm so hopefully that's a sign that the rolling blackouts are done.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a show of solidarity with my power deficient Surly brothers I just turned off some auxiliary lighting in a room we never go into.

For real though, I hope everyone gets their power back on soon.  Heard from a friend a bit ago who moved to a hotel only to have the power go out at the hotel about an hour after he and his family checked in.

• Haha 2

Pretty much the entire island of Port A lost power early this morning. Mine just came back on so I was only without for about 8 hours. Hopefully this is a permanent thing and not a rolling thing. Inside house temp never got very bad (new build), but it was still 58 or so. I feel for you guys. Going to be a long night.

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

North denton here.  

Starting at about 2 am, power was off for an hour, then on for an hour.  Not too bad and feel for those who have had it worse.  Power has now been on since about 3 pm so hopefully that's a sign that the rolling blackouts are done.

Sister lives behind La Milpa and is still having the rolling blackouts on that side of town.

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It was a reference to the book.  No hog killing here.

I know, man.  I was just picturing you staring into your backyard with food in the fridge going bad in real time, sipping whiskey, looking at the family pot-bellied big and thinking, "Be a damn shame to let it go to waste."  A friend of mine in East Austin with a few chickens in the backyard for fresh eggs texted he was considering killing one of them if the power doesn't come back on soon.  I think he was kidding, but I know this guy after a few drinks---he's not kidding.  

22 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Yeah just south of you in Carrollton the power went out at 3. Must have switched to you (another area). Been out since. 

I am a little north of Carrollton on Lake Lewisville.  We have power for an hour and then off for an hour all day now.  What is weird is half my neighborhood has had the power on/off thing and the other half has had zero power outages because they are on a different grid.  If the neighborhood Facebook page means anything we could have a Civil War in my neighborhood over this difference at any moment.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Going on at least 10 hours without power. The good news is that according to oncor 9 houses out of 5k plus got power back in the last hour. So we should be good to go by Memorial Day at worst.

Yep.  We’ve been out since 6:30 am.  Thank God I had just warmed a bottle and given the baby a nebulozer treatment before it went out.  Stayed at the house until about 2:30, inside temp had dropped to 56.  Brother lives in duplexes near the Hewitt Police dept and has power, for now.     Staying there tonight.  

• Hook 'Em 2

You’d think that, wouldn’t you? I know there are some folks without power in the Houston area. But it seems that the bulk of the outages, and they’re gonna be 24 hr or longer....are in Austin. We’re taking the punch for the state, I guess.
NW Houston here, no power since 2am. It's cold oh this house.

If your snow is done, you can use a leaf blower or broom to move it off of sidewalks and driveways if it hasn’t absorbed too much melted water yet. Should you care to. I’d check for slick ice underneath before going at it though. 

Yep. I just swept our front path this morning, it was super easy.

Small victories, I guess.

Checking in while charging phone in my car that is idling in my driveway. 

like many, power has been off since 2am. House is pretty cold but I think we can sleep with enough blankets. 

I fear for the pipes in the house. Nothing to be done at this point. 

taking leftover chili to a neighbors house to get it warmed up on their gas stovetop to get a hot meal for the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You’d think that, wouldn’t you? I know there are some folks without power in the Houston area. But it seems that the bulk of the outages, and they’re gonna be 24 hr or longer....are in Austin. We’re taking the punch for the state, I guess.

NW Houston here, no power since 2am. It's cold oh this house.

Very hit or miss in that part of town. Most everyone I know closer into the city or south of 290 are without power, some without water as well. 

I'm closer to cypress and north of 290 and it's been business as usual. (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood)

Checking in while charging phone in my car that is idling in my driveway. 

like many, power has been off since 2am. House is pretty cold but I think we can sleep with enough blankets. 

I fear for the pipes in the house. Nothing to be done at this point. 

taking leftover chili to a neighbors house to get it warmed up on their gas stovetop to get a hot meal for the day. 

Did you ask ahead if they cared that you put beans in your chili?

Very hit or miss in that part of town. Most everyone I know closer into the city or south of 290 are without power, some without water as well. 
I'm closer to cypress and north of 290 and it's been business as usual. (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood)
We had water pressure come back for a brief moment in midday, made sure everyone got a hot shower. Now it's back to a trickle out of the faucets.

Not really looking forward to another night without power.