2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

Just now, TexasCPA said:

Power out since 2am in 77027.

Maybe I need to remind them this is River Oaks and we should have an exception to blackouts.

Was wondering about that.  Friends in West U got power back about an hour ago.  We had  been down since 5am. We’re still down. I assumed it was west U is where the Ercot/Centerpoint execs live

28 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Last time I shoveled snow in Austin was '84-'85. Muscles I haven't used since then will hurt. Done with a square garden spade. But the beer is tasty. I wasn't old enough to drink back then.82c52371afba4d910042971fb9120331.jpg

Snow shoveling is a known cause of heart attack and stroke

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/protect-your-heart-when-shoveling-snow-201101151153

Had to go check the boat to make sure I don't have a very expensive paperweight sitting on a trailer.  So far, so good.  Thank GAWD for my cousin's chicken egg incubting lamp!

On another note, I swung down to the boat ramp I use just to get a look a how the lake looks and stumbled upon this scene.  Laughed the first 30 miles of my journey back home--

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours without. Called a couple hotels that are close and they are booked solid.  Gonna ride it out tonight mainly because we've stayed about 50 degrees. It will be like we are camping. 

Hopefully Oncor can get their shit together.  

I am making a list of things I need to have on hand.  I thought we were pretty well stocked, and we are, but there are some things that I'm gonna get from Amazon.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Last time I shoveled snow in Austin was '84-'85. Muscles I haven't used since then will hurt. Done with a square garden spade. But the beer is tasty. I wasn't old enough to drink back then.82c52371afba4d910042971fb9120331.jpg

Snowed 3 times that winter. By the third time, I was sick of it.

2nd snowfall was pretty cool.  I was down on campus as a HS senior for an audition.  Ended up on LBJ library hill sledding on cardboard. Audition also went well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/protect-your-heart-when-shoveling-snow-201101151153
I know, but I grew up in MN. It's in the blood. I promised my wife I'll limit this to every 35 years. If I die of a stroke at 86 while shoveling it will be because I wanted out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours without. Called a couple hotels that are close and they are booked solid.  Gonna ride it out tonight mainly because we've stayed about 50 degrees. It will be like we are camping. 

I am making a list of things I need to have on hand.  I thought we were pretty well stocked, and we are, but there are some things that I'm gonna get from Amazon.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
19 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I know, but I grew up in MN. It's in the blood. I promised my wife I'll limit this to every 35 years. If I die of a stroke at 86 while shoveling it will be because I wanted out.

I haven't shoveled my own driveway since I was 17.  I let my driveway today accumulate snow because it's got a decent pitch to it and the kids went "sledding" (in what is really a boating inner-tube).  But about 3 years ago, we were back in NW Kansas for my wife's grandpa's 100th birthday.  I needed to get out of their house from cabin fever so I offered to go shovel his driveway.  But he comes out when I get there and says he'll do it, always has, always will.  I offered to help alongside him saying something like, "I just needed to get out of the house all the women."  And he gave me this grin and said basically, "Why the hell you think I've been doing it myself all these years."  Man is still kicking it, just turned 103, and still shovels his own driveway.  I did her parents one later that weekend, and was totally gassed afterwards and realized how fast I was doing it (and how out of shape I was).  And then I realized her grandfather and father's glacial pace is for two reasons---so you don't have a heart-attack...and to stay away from the houseful of women for even longer.  Sure, it's cold but at least you have the silence.

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My next door neighbor is from New Jersey and this afternoon he came out and shoveled his driveway, mine, another neighbor's, and all of our sidewalks.  He was just tired of being in the house and wanted something to do.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I was too overstocked on food.   Hopefully I didn’t just lose all of it.  

I haven't shoveled my own driveway since I was 17.  I let my driveway today accumulate snow because it's got a decent pitch to it and the kids went "sledding" (in what is really a boating inner-tube).  But about 3 years ago, we were back in NW Kansas for my wife's grandpa's 100th birthday.  I needed to get out of their house from cabin fever so I offered to go shovel his driveway.  But he comes out when I get there and says he'll do it, always has, always will.  I offered to help alongside him saying something like, "I just needed to get out of the house all the women."  And he gave me this grin and said basically, "Why the hell you think I've been doing it myself all these years."  Man is still kicking it, just turned 103, and still shovels his own driveway.  I did her parents one later that weekend, and was totally gassed afterwards and realized how fast I was doing it (and how out of shape I was).  And then I realized her grandfather and father's glacial pace is for two reasons---so you don't have a heart-attack...and to stay away from the houseful of women for even longer.  Sure, it's cold but at least you have the silence.

I look forward to snow blowing... just so long as the wind isn’t whipping it back to my face/down my back for those very reasons. It’s pleasurable like lawn mowing if it’s above 20 with no wind
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lol. The thought did cross my mind that you poor bastards are only going to have a spade shovel for this

I got lucky and snagged an overpriced wide bodied mulch shovel from my local Ace Hardware.  Was hoping to return it this week if the snow didn’t come through.  Ended up being used, so I have a $40 shovel that’ll likely get used once/year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

In fairness, thus was the finest champagne snow you'll ever find. I shoveled & used a heavy duty push broom to clean it up. If it was the heavy wet shit we had in January I wouldn't have touched it.

Still, my grampa would've done it. He was shoveling & snow blowing his driveway on East Minnehaha in Saint Paul well into his 70s. I think he'd approve. Cheers, Gramps.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

This has definitely been a good opportunity to assess our emergency preparedness. Lessons learned. By next winter I'll definitely have all outdoor spigots wrapped in heat tape, and I'll make sure to keep at least a half cord of wood stacked up through the winter. Will probably figure out better solutions to keep the well pump and softener (garage) heated. My band aids are working this time but they're a little ghetto.

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

In fairness, thus was the finest champagne snow you'll ever find. I shoveled & used a heavy duty push broom to clean it up. If it was the heavy wet shit we had in January I wouldn't have touched it.

Still, my grampa would've done it. He was shoveling & snow blowing his driveway on East Minnehaha in Saint Paul well into his 70s. I think he'd approve. Cheers, Gramps.

It was some absolutely perfect Utah/Medellin powder.   

• Like 1