2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

49 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Power out 78759, Spicewood/183. We were lucky... until now. 

Near you, but out since 2am.

Most infuriating thing?  Driving by empty office buildings with power north side of 183 at Oak Knoll/Riata WITH LIGHTS ON IN EMPTY OFFICES.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

We got 20 mins of power.  Gone now.

Annnnnnd I'm out too. Lasted about 30 mins. At least got my interior temp up to 70, got something warm to eat, and got my phone charge off of death row.

Hunkering down for the night. Stay warm erebody!

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I look forward to snow blowing... just so long as the wind isn’t whipping it back to my face/down my back for those very reasons. It’s pleasurable like lawn mowing if it’s above 20 with no wind

Wife:  you want me to help shovel?

me:  no, no. I’ll get it all. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I look forward to snow blowing... just so long as the wind isn’t whipping it back to my face/down my back for those very reasons. It’s pleasurable like lawn mowing if it’s above 20 with no wind

Finished a structure in the backyard a couple of months ago topped with sunbrella fabric. Did not have clearing snow before it melts and turns to a block of ice on the radar as something I’d need to do as part normal maintenance.

0CBB8746-7D57-44BB-A8C6-45C5BBE30FDE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BradInATX said:
7 minutes ago, South Austin said:
Girlfriend has been without power since 2am and managed to get a ride to my place from someone with four-wheel drive. So I’m getting laid tonight, which is nice.

Hopefully the dude with the 4WD vehicle didn't wear her out

It was actually her ex-husband’s wife. Weird backstory, but she got here.

On the power situation, North Texas has more facilities than Central and South Texas, although the capacity is fairly comparable. 

The peaker plants I am guessing are really unused capacity at coal plants as they are being gradually shuttered. 

I suspect that the plan was to bring that capacity on, and they probably even rehearsed doing it.  In 70 degree weather. 

I might also guess that the temperature affected the steady state operation of those plants in unanticipated ways, requiring that they be taken offline which may explain why things didn't take a dump until 1AM.

They have spent the day fixing those things so hopefully the situation improves. 

Those without power are in my thoughts. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

alright...i've put the impending pool disaster aside for now to try and make the best of this...

we rearranged furniture so both our big cushy leather chairs are right in front of the (gas) fireplace. with all 4 stove burners going for about an hour, we got it up to about 62 degrees. this is our spot for the night - we both nap in these chairs regularly so sleeping in them won't be a problem 😄

dog is still out of sorts - she's tiny so we had to shovel a path and space for her to do her business. she's agitated, but settled down in her bed right in front of the hearth right now. 

took most of the perishables out of the fridge/freezer and just stacked them in the garage - it hasn't gotten about 32 in there all day, so should be fine overnight. all the frozen stuff is still pretty much frozen. 

as long as gas doesn't go out, we're gonna live. water is fine, abundant hot water. i can't do anything about the pool right now anyway, we just shut it off at the main power source, we'll just see what happens when things warm up. 😟

just another 'HOLY SHIT WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?' moment...feels like we've had a lifetime's worth of those in the past 12 months, eh? 🤘

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Finished a structure in the backyard a couple of months ago topped with sunbrella fabric. Did not have clearing snow before it melts and turns to a block of ice on the radar as something I’d need to do as part normal maintenance.
0CBB8746-7D57-44BB-A8C6-45C5BBE30FDE.thumb.jpeg.fc1c04270b1cc79e7d47f13e50638028.jpeg
Is that stuff fully water repellent? Building a covered pergola as my next project. I want to weatherproof it with some sort of roof. Been looking both at metal and fabric options

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

If you shit the bed and then clean %35 of it up hours later are you really producing results?  No Cloak Room- There's plenty of blame to go around.

You're terrifying people with rain gutter shit that only happens in Alaska, and now you're putting the percent sign before numbers. I like the cut of your jib

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found out late this afternoon that our barndomonium had power and internet so we headed out to the farm for the night. No water but we have lights and space heaters. 

Looking at the weather data log, it appears the power never went out here. We are about 2 miles from the Parish power plant. Maybe that has something to do with it. 

Or maybe Booth is just higher priority than Greatwood. 😉

We have no water or power, also no fireplace,, but we have whiskey, 2 lil buddy heaters and a tent in our living room.  The kids are loving it. I gave up on the pipes this morning. I killed supply line and cut the pvc to drain it.  I went total fuckit, I am fixing this shit later (turns out our hood lost supply from the district sometime in the last hour anyways). We have several cases of water and 30 gallons of shitter flush water. We are livin!

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, lazytexasfan said:

anyone on s lamar (in 78704) have any power? brother's apartment building hasn't had power since 3am with no ETA on when it'll be back

he said a bunch of his friends in the various buildings on s lamar haven't had power all day either

I live on S. Lamar and power has been out since about 2 AM. What’s annoying is I can see the neighborhood right behind us on Manchac all lit up. Just right there. They must be on the circuit that has St. David’s South. 

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

Those of you who bailed for hotel or family... did yall turn water off at street? I am terrified of a burst pipe that floods while I am asleep or away 

I don't think a burst pipe will be able to gush or drip to cause a flood. It is when it is warm enough to thaw that you have to worry about that.  Somebody with  frozen pipe knowledge make sure I'm not lying to this poster.