2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

18 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Hey Judge Dumbass, why are closed non-essential businesses still blasting all their lights and getting the occasional rolling blackouts, while residential neighborhoods are going 8 hours straight without power?  Do your damn job.

Same in Austin:

And in Denton County:  The Top Golf is running two 50' outdoor TV's, that no one is watching.  Nebraska Furniture Mart, Scheel's Sporting Goods, Andretti's Indoor Games, all closed, running full blast lighting.  They also get rolling blackouts, neighbors claim the retail rolling outages are less than 20% of the time.  Neighborhoods themselves dark for many hours straight.  We drove around to warm up and saw all of this (streets are still ok, just keep distance and a little momentum, and of course avoid hills.)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

LOL. There will be a few days of political bluster. Then the insurance claims will start rolling in and they will be pissed as hell and in turn go to their friends in Austin who will then take it out on us. The circle of life will be complete while everybody argues about whether Hollywood Dumbshit Model 8208 should have been canceled or not over some tweet.

And it will be our own damn fault. 

• Rage+1 1

Second time for me with power out. Was off 3 1/2 hours last night. But that wasn’t a huge deal.

But reading all this shit here I don’t feel optimistic about things coming back on. Was going to head to a friend’s house a few blocks away for a shower but friend now has no power either. I can’t complain though as others have had their power off for a far longer time. The Diary of a Snow Shoveler doesn’t seem as funny now. I live fairly close to a school and an HEB so hoping I’m on that grid? Hospital not too far away from me either. 

This blows. 

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Second time for me with power out. Was off 3 1/2 hours last night. But that wasn’t a huge deal.

But reading all this shit here I don’t feel optimistic about things coming back on. Was going to head to a friend’s house a few blocks away for a shower but friend now has no power either. I can’t complain though as others have had their power off for a far longer time. The Diary of a Snow Shoveler doesn’t seem as funny now. I live fairly close to a school and an HEB so hoping I’m on that grid? Hospital not too far away from me either. 

This blows. 

If you were on a grid that has priority, your power wouldn't be off and wouldn't have been off for 3+ hours last night.  Sorry to say.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Fuck this shit. I’ve been without power since 2 am. Thankfully my house seems to have been built well. 

I built an aluminum funnel to direct heat from my range out into my house. I also finally figured out how to turn on my damn remote fire place manually. I’ve managed to get the downstairs thermostat to read 67. It’s near the fire place. And the upstairs is reading 71!

I have the three week old sleeping in his bassinet near the fire and the two year old in his room upstairs with the door open. 

As long as the gas supply stays steady I think I’m going to make it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Fuck this shit. I’ve been without power since 2 am. Thankfully my house seems to have been built well. 
I built an aluminum funnel to direct heat from my range out into my house. I also finally figured out how to turn on my damn remote fire place manually. I’ve managed to get the downstairs thermostat to read 67. It’s near the fire place. And the upstairs is reading 71!
I have the three week old sleeping in his bassinet near the fire and the two year old in his room upstairs with the door open. 

The new borns and olds make this real scary... their room temps should be near 80, on a normal night. Hope everyone here keeps the little ones warm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’m in SA and have yet to lose power (so power shutoff incoming in 5 minutes now that I say that). Thermostat set at 69. I’m from a tropical climate so I usually keep my indoor temp at nothing less than 75 year round. Remember this sacrifice next time one of you assholes wants to talk shit about me.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This...this can’t go unpunished. Right? I mean, I know humans are stupid, but this is beyond negligent. 

If you like conspiracy theories, people are claiming that the numbers are way underreported.  Like some companies are showing areas with power, when those areas don't actually have power, etc., and are claiming that it's well over 5 million without power.

I like to keep it simple - Occam's Razor and all of that, so while I do think it's a lot more than being reported, I'm jotting it down to incompetence and unpreparedness, and the two are closely linked, and not some devious plan to cover shit up.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Just be careful for Carbon monoxide buildup. 

• Hook 'Em 5

No power here in SW Houston since about 5 am Monday. We’re cold as fuck.

Understand that this is a supply and demand issue. What the fuck happened to “rolling” though? I know several people, not even far away, that have had power all day. Could they not shut them off for a bit and let us warm up since we’re now on hour 17 of no heat?

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not going to white knight Austin Energy, but their hands are somewhat tied - for all of the power generation the City of Austin owns through Austin Energy, ERCOT are controlling where a lot of it goes.

At what point can they take over (can they?) and just do what is right on a human being level?

Latest (preliminary) medal count on Team Stream, Team Drip, Team Wrap?
I'm still riding fine with first option, water bill be damned. 
Need to clear the finish line this evening at 5 above and should be good. 

Switched from team wrap to team drip tonight. Hopefully don’t wake up with all frozen hose bibs and an inoperable bathroom sink again.

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Latest (preliminary) medal count on Team Stream, Team Drip, Team Wrap?

I'm still riding fine with first option, water bill be damned. 

Need to clear the finish line this evening at 5 above and should be good. 

Team drip still holding the line. Not a single freeze up today. Checking again at midnight before turning in. 

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you like conspiracy theories, people are claiming that the numbers are way underreported.  Like some companies are showing areas with power, when those areas don't actually have power, etc., and are claiming that it's well over 5 million without power.

I like to keep it simple - Occam's Razor and all of that, so while I do think it's a lot more than being reported, I'm jotting it down to incompetence and unpreparedness, and the two are closely linked, and not some devious plan to cover shit up.

Shame, thinking they can get away with it, those all fit within OR’s theory. 

Still have power and afaik no frozen pipes in Spring Branch in Houston, team #nodrip outside with em wrapped and dripping my downstairs faucets with hot and my upstairs with cold. Only concern is that our water pressure in the entire neighborhood is significantly less than it was a couple days ago, and if the faucets stop dripping... They may start freezing. C'est la vie.

RE: the STNP, we'll know for sure tomorrow morning if they shut down or not per the reactor status page. It was marked as 100% up as of sometime between 3 and 7A this morning so they really may have shut down as a 0500 as I've seen some folks saying. Our energy infrastructure is pathetic in this state.

It's fucking ridiculous that we're in this position of not having enough natural gas on hand to heat AND generate electricity, and that our grid refuses to connect to other states just to avoid rEgUlAtIoN. My mom in PF, my 85yo cancer survivor grandmother in Austin, and my 86yo cancer survivor grandfather on Lake Travis all have been without power for damn near 20 hours now due to the """rolling blackouts""". People are almost certainly going to be freezing to death tonight. Fuck.

I can't speak for the other natural gas companies, but I worked for one of the majors and we kept gas in salt domes all over the state.  Most of the time it was one man trying to keep the gas coming out of the cavern and working a asston of hours in very bad conditions with little support.  We had more operators than I/E techs to cover.  This is what we called "peak" gas pricing, believe me the gas companies want to "sell, sell, turn those machines back on".