2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

2 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Everything is ice and slush in central austin but I had no issues driving around in 4WD. Even stopped off at a gas station and filled up with gas plus bought extra water jugs.

Yesterday the lines at CVS and 7-Eleven were nutty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like this afternoon is the best opportunity to make a run to the store between now and Saturday or Sunday. I already know the HEB here is an absolute shit show. Wonder what my best option is. Gas stations and a Dollar General fairly close maybe.

In about 40 hours of total use (turned off while we are asleep in a small room with the doors closed), maybe about a quarter of the 20# tank, probably a little less.

Designed to be used with 1# bottles and I’m sure I would have blown through a few of those by now. 

Still, it is pretty efficient I think. 

edit: this is in respone to @Somnio  my phone screwed up the reply

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yep.  Next to zero pressure at my home in seabrook, plant i work at in LaPorte, and rental in Galveston. On top of that, one of the waste water plants on Bay area (GCW) is losing power.  They handle a lot of the plants here, but they also do municple.  

1 minute ago, LebongJames said:

Not to be a dick but we just lost power for the first time about 20 minutes ago for the first time.

Lost Creek area.

Same for me about an hour ago. Presumably it was a rolling black out as it came back on after about 20-30 minutes. My fear is power lines coming down from all the ice on the trees. As for water, it definitely seems like the water pressure is slightly lower at my interior faucets today. Don't know if that is related to the city in general or some lurking issue with my plumbing. 

Saw the Garland mayor bitching about how ERCOT has ordered their city owned electric provider to ration power, since they wouldn't have any outages otherwise, so as to help out with balancing the state grid.  Quite the team player.  And today asking businesses to reduce non-essential power usage.  Why didn't you do that pre-storm, or at least by Monday?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Went without power from 2am Sunday until about midnight last night. It was in the nick of time too as I had run out of firewood and began resorting to burning cardboard boxes that had been in my garage from all the deliveries over the past year. Never lost hot water though, so that was a blessing.

But, now, the water is out all over southwest Austin. If you're west of Manshack and south of Wm. Cannon, you have no water.

Just now, Blotto said:

Same for me about an hour ago. Presumably it was a rolling black out as it came back on after about 20-30 minutes. My fear is power lines coming down from all the ice on the trees. As for water, it definitely seems like the water pressure is slightly lower at my interior faucets today. Don't know if that is related to the city in general or some lurking issue with my plumbing. 

City issue. You need to boil your drinking water. 

4 minutes ago, drt said:

City issue. You need to boil your drinking water. 

Is this for city of Austin? Only water I used this morning was for coffee so it was boiled, but I wasnt aware austin proper was under a boil notice. Nevermid, just saw bolverks post up page. Only SW Austin. 

Edited by Blotto

Finally had a pipe burst. Almost made it through unscathed. It was the weakest link in the house and I knew it would be the problem.

This house was built in the early 80s and the guy who bought it lived in it until 2014 when my gf bought it. He did a lot of work on the house and most things were done exceptionally well. 

The exception was he decided to build an outdoor shower for use after yard work. The shower was built where the hose spigot was originally built to come out of the wall, so to re-route the spigot to the outside of the shower he just added about 6 feet of exposed copper.

I quadruple wrapped the spigots and double wrapped the copper pipes and stacked mulch bags in front of all if the pipes. It lasted 5 days but couldn’t make it the final 12 hours. The break is right on an elbow joint.

Buddy has a 4WD and is going to Lowe’s to get a cap. We’ll cut it off at the break and sweat a cap onto it and that will be fine to get the house water back on. We’ll get a plumber out next month to make the permanent fix.

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Most likely a very localized problem.  Like a water main problem.  

I want to strangle people on Facebook.   Lots of rumors flying around from somebody’s brother’s friend who works in an energy company in Houston or Dallas that Austin is going to cut off all water tonight to fix some problem and it will come back tomorrow with a boil notice.  

Well to be fair water is going out all over the place including pflugerville, leander, north Austin, Harris county, etc, and the communications from the cities have been woefully inadequate, so in a void of information, rumors will flow. 

Team No Water (since Sunday). Better than no power but I have two forts now and a tent so there’s that. Disinformation abounds with FB. Thank God I’m not on it anymore. Cut that shit off last October. It’s freeing! Don’t need to see people in Hawaii or Bahamas or Florida grinning like assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Team No Water (since Sunday). Better than no power but I have two forts now and a tent so there’s that. Disinformation abounds with FB. Thank God I’m not on it anymore. Cut that shit off last October. It’s freeing! Don’t need to see people in Hawaii or Bahamas or Florida grinning like assholes. 

Well, those grinning assholes on vacation are probably going to come back to a sploded house, so there's that.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, those grinning assholes on vacation are probably going to come back to a sploded house, so there's that.

Then they will come back and post about how awful it is and where are the plumbers? Why can’t they get on the list? And get 500 likes just for posting pictures of the damage. 

But amid freezing temperatures that show no signs of warming soon, dozens of residents have ventured on foot and by boat to rescue another species that makes its home here: The island’s famous — and endangered — sea turtles. 

By late Tuesday, volunteers working with Sea Turtle, Inc., a local rescue group, had transported more than 3,500 comatose turtles for rehabilitation at the town’s convention center. Conservationists look to gradually increase the animals’ body heat as they lie on tarps and kiddie pools indoors.

D7E347EF-D9D0-40AA-8C50-491A946BB4CF.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

But amid freezing temperatures that show no signs of warming soon, dozens of residents have ventured on foot and by boat to rescue another species that makes its home here: The island’s famous — and endangered — sea turtles. 

By late Tuesday, volunteers working with Sea Turtle, Inc., a local rescue group, had transported more than 3,500 comatose turtles for rehabilitation at the town’s convention center. Conservationists look to gradually increase the animals’ body heat as they lie on tarps and kiddie pools indoors.

D7E347EF-D9D0-40AA-8C50-491A946BB4CF.png

T&P's, Tom.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Everything is ice and slush in central austin but I had no issues driving around in 4WD. Even stopped off at a gas station and filled up with gas plus bought extra water jugs.

Yesterday the lines at CVS and 7-Eleven were nutty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was way easier than I thought. Made it no problem. Did stop to push two fellow citizens out of intersections in sedans. Pay it forward. 

#Team 4 Runner.