2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

67 hours in. No power. We are surviving on a nice diet of Campbell’s  soup and bourbon. The dogs are tired of our shit. But huddle close when they shiver from the cold. Wife has begun plotting against Governor and the fully lit empty Porche dealership. 

I am pretty sure if we didn’t heat up soup for our neighbors every day they would have died by now.  I think they believe this is also a hoax. 

will report back later

Don’t blame your wife at all. If I was in your shoes, I’d be dialing up Russia trying to find a Solar Winds hacker who could get me hooked back into the grid for some crypto or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

78702. East Austin neighborhood across from Erwin Center, near Disch-Falk. No power for 66 hours. Have maintained water, but pressure dropped this afternoon. Gas is still on. Streaming all the indoor faucets, wrapped my two outside. Helped two neighbors today who left to stay with friends turn off their water at the street. I’ll keep up the faucet streaming as long as I can. If we lose too much pressure I’ll shut my water off at the street too. 

Thanks for all the helpful posts in this thread. I’m feeling plenty of stress and anxiety over this whole mess, and sense the same from many of the posters here. This thread is helping get me through. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Already Shut off the main. House was at 59 still, which is amazing. 

That is amazing.  I was without power for 31 hours in NE Tarrant County early Monday morning to mid day yesterday....it got down to 44 and we had a roaring fire and gas stovetop running.  At the length of time you are talking our taun-tauns would have frozen.

We’re not there, but our casa is at 66 hours or so. Water all shut off, so no water damage...but god knows if we have any busted pipes. Will find out when w carefully turn water on.

I’m sure we’ll lose some food, such is life.

The daughters fish are long dead. Seeing the scope of this disaster, she’s ok.

One of our neighbors has appointed himself block captain, and is kicking ass. He’s making sure our elderly neighbors with only an electric cooktop are getting hot meals. We contributed two thermoses so they can keep hot tea on hand as well. They are just decamped in front of their gas fireplace to keep warm. Right in front of it, they are....ok. I visited with him with some supplies yesterday, and he said with warm clothes and blankets they are ok and not shivering.

They have my water cutoff tool, and can shut their water off if necessary.

If the roads clear at all tomorrow, we’ll head back over to help, check on our house, and gather some more food.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I want to cry every time I read this thread. I am just so sorry for everyone in these stories. So, so sorry.

So far my house has held up - water, electric, heat. I don't know why. I am in Georgetown. I only lost power a few times that first day. I have 3 teen boys and an 11 yo here and I still have plenty of food for them. I feel like I won the lottery but still stressed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, used2b said:

I want to cry every time I read this thread. I am just so sorry for everyone in these stories. So, so sorry.

So far my house has held up - water, electric, heat. I don't know why. I am in Georgetown. I only lost power a few times that first day. I have 3 teen boys and an 11 yo here and I still have plenty of food for them. I feel like I won the lottery but still stressed.

I felt that way yesterday. We are about 15 hours without power now, but we’ve missed the brunt of the cold. Still have water and gas. Could be so much worse. 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My next 4 Runner is definitely going to be 4WD. My 2004 non-4WD (who would really need that in texas? he said) is sitting in front of my house under 6 Inches of snow and ice. 

I’ve got a 4x4 f250 with an 8 foot bed. I could move a ton of people and gear. Wish I could help.

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

1) mold spores

2) water

3) warmth and darkness

4) ???

5) mold infestation

Since I had a friend who dealt with this after Harvey (sunroom roof leaked)...it’s a bitch. Depends on whether or not home owners insurance will cover and that is tricky. Then there is finding someone who will do the removal. And that’s expensive. And also depends on how widespread it is. Scary shit. Hope this happens to no one. 

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

So, ice dams. I'm gonna try to knock the snow off my roof before we get another inch or two tonight.

Just got done breaking the ones I could reach with mu extension pole.  One corner near the garage took a hammer to break through (standing in bed of truck).

27 minutes ago, used2b said:

I've been on the other side of it.

It sucks more to hear about other folks dealing with it.

7 minutes ago, WillUSAF said:

This is so sad to read what ya'll are going through. I have mixed emotions about what is going on. 1st and foremost I hope everyone makes it through this safe. But heads should be rolling. This is fucking bullshit and I'm not even living through it....(i'm in Cleveland, OH)

Now you know how most of the country feels when they hear you live in Cleveland. 

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Since I had a friend who dealt with this after Harvey (sunroom roof leaked)...it’s a bitch. Depends on whether or not home owners insurance will cover and that is tricky. Then there is finding someone who will do the removal. And that’s expensive. And also depends on how widespread it is. Scary shit. Hope this happens to no one. 

I cleaned out some of the houses in LaGrange when it flooded and we were tearing out the walls and insulation so they could run fans and dry out the framing.  Went by a year later and only a few had been rebuilt and many were just torn down from the damage.  Mold remediation was more expensive than a rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I cleaned out some of the houses in LaGrange when it flooded and we were tearing out the walls and insulation so they could run fans and dry out the framing.  Went by a year later and only a few had been rebuilt and many were just torn down from the damage.  Mold remediation was more expensive than a rebuild.

And at one time, mold was excluded from homeowners policies unless you paid extra to add the rider, just like wind/storm. Not sure if that got TE mediated by legislation since then. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 minutes ago, J-Mart said:

Just saw on FB (posted by Austin Chronicle) that Austin issued citywide boil water notice. 

And the hits just keep coming.

Got the alert. Apparently Austin’s largest water treatment plant has lost power. 

Edited by yoladu

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

This is an embarrassment.  I know the weather has been unusually cold.  Some power outages, rolling blackouts, etc. should be expected.  However, what has and is occurring has exposed utter imcompetence.  Heads need to roll.  This should never happen again.  I am ashamed.  A week of cold weather, and I feel like I'm living in a 3rd World country.  Fucking ridiculous.

Go home You're drunk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Nopez. Wish I still had my old airsoft rifle. That thing would do the trick if I got up to the fence. 

Molotov cocktail would do nicely too. 

edit: I stopped smoking a couple months ago, but damned if this doesn’t sound nice right now. 

image.jpeg.3d6285c65c97f9195e666423dcdf458a.jpeg

Edited by Biff Tannen

Hope you malcontents are staying warm.  Power was out at my place in Abilene all day Monday.  Got up for work Tuesday, still no power, but the car wash right next door was lit up like a Christmas tree.  Donut shop had power.  Every residential complex around me had power.  Saw a dude watching his TV both mornings as I drove by after freezing my ass off in the dark all night.  Basically everyone had power BUT the small area I'm in.  Same thing this morning, but when I got back tonight everything was back on.

Seriously hope you're all doing well.