2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Mine that was frozen busted a leak yesterday when it thawed out, so my recommendation is to burn down your house and use the insurance money to move to the Caribbean away from this wintery hellhole.

y'all are welcome on the boat fanatic thread, we were actually musing on about yachts in warm climates the other day.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Update:

So this storm is putting Austin a little more in the heavier snow than forecast (NO WAI!), so I can see 3"-4" in S/SW parts of the ATX.  Other than that, behaving more or less like the models predicted.  Latest shot:
storm.png.5bfb71e026f91749c0324bdc876d7a79.png

This is gonna keep up all day unless it starts evaporating.  More great news from this shit.

Hey fuck you, pal.*

*Not to be taken personally. I’m just irrationally looking for a human being to blame for the weather.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Want to meet at Woodrow’s later for happy hour?

Managed to be one of the first to get into Central Market. Very little produce, but got some bottled water, a rotisserie chicken, some bacon and eggs (hoping the power comes in later to make a frittata), and some other nibbles.

Yeah if Woodrow's is open I am down to meet up.. We are out cruising around Austin right now. It looks like everything north of 45th St is dark on Burnet currently.

So winter crisis brings out necessity and awkwardness.

The power at my girlfriend’s house is finally on, just as I lost mine. Her ex-husband and his wife (the younger woman whom he left her for) have a 4WD jeep and just picked her up with her two kids to bring them to my girlfriend’s house because the power and water in the ex’s house are now out. My girlfriend invited her ex and his wife to stay at her house, thinking/hoping they would decline, but they said yes. Needless to say, that whole relationship is not entirely pleasant, so I sent my girlfriend back with some tequila to help dull the tension in the house.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The power at my girlfriend’s house is finally on, just as I lost mine. Her ex-husband and his wife (the younger woman whom he left her for) have a 4WD jeep and just picked her up with her two kids to bring them to my girlfriend’s house because the power and water in the ex’s house are now out. My girlfriend invited her ex and his wife to stay at her house, thinking/hoping they would decline, but they said yes. Needless to say, that whole relationship is not entirely pleasant, so I sent my girlfriend back with some tequila to help dull the tension in the house.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s PA/Beaumont east of Houston right? Entirely unchanged.

Interesting.  Beaumont's not on ERCOR (darker blue below), they're on the MISO (Midcontinent Independent System Operator). 
LHCTHLQA7RALDCKKUJC7U4IILQ.jpg

Here's their grid (whew):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS3ry37CqcZ__htbGIKI-

But Beaumont did have a lot of outages (many storm-related damage to utilities), but apparently they were rolling thru most of it.  Wouldn't say they escaped unscathed, but a lot better than Austin and Houston, probably about DFW or a bit better.

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I believe proper Donner Pass protocol is for you to chop up the ex-husband for a hearty stew while taking both the women as your Snow Brides.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, South Austin said:

smart man not to follow.  we should all take back our snarky comments on the divorce thread.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I appreciate this. But there is no way in our modern society that we should have to be prepared for 40+ hours without heat in sub freezing temperatures. We should be able to rely upon our society, government, and utilities functioning. Victim blaming and excusing the gross negligence that contributed to this problem is, in my view, fucking disgusting. The answer to this problem isn't to tell everyone to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. We were fairly well prepared. We had plenty of food, water, and blankets. The fact is that the vulnerable, the very old and very young, cannot survive that environment. They had advanced warning that our power grid needed to be winterized. They had advanced warning that this system was coming to get our grid ready for emergency operations. They did fucking nothing. That isnt my fault. That isn't my daughters' fault. That isn't the fault of any of the rest of us that were freezing and even dying. 

My response wasn’t meant to indicate we should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and go at life alone without government and utilities. They are there for a reason, we fund them for a job to do and they failed us. I agree with everything you stated above.  I didn’t read what he said as victim blaming but maybe the tone he used could have communicated that. I’m too tired to go reread what he said. It was just exhausted ramblings and reflecting on what I wish I’d done different. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

ERCOT and other leadership should be investigated, possibly for criminal negligence, corruption, any and all of it for this.  and we should all now know not to rely on them for utilities in these events.  shame on them this time, but like hell I'll be this vulnerable again.

• Like 1

Just now, troph said:

ERCOT and other leadership should be investigated, possibly for criminal negligence, corruption, any and all of it for this.  and we should all now know not to rely on them for utilities in these events.  shame on them this time, but like hell I'll be this vulnerable again.

Quote from a Facebook friend. “I hereby move that it be re-named ECOT.”

• Hook 'Em 2

Interesting.  Beaumont's not on ERCOR (darker blue below), they're on the MISO (Midcontinent Independent System Operator). 
LHCTHLQA7RALDCKKUJC7U4IILQ.jpg

Here's their grid (whew):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS3ry37CqcZ__htbGIKI-h5-UyE9GK_4VJIQ&usqp=CAU

But Beaumont did have a lot of outages (many storm-related damage to utilities), but apparently they were rolling thru most of it.  Wouldn't say they escaped unscathed, but a lot better than Austin and Houston, probably about DFW or a bit better.

We’re SPP, which is the panhandle of Texas as well and had just one blackout 2 days ago for 20 minutes 1500miles away.

They were talking of more yesterday but it’s subsided and said don’t expect any more

14 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Anyone in southwest Austin gotten water back? I shut mine off at the curb yesterday so can’t test and am curious.

Not this morning when they said plants were back up. Haven’t tried again. No next door exclamations of water restored either.

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Sounds like the ex husband is angling for a threesome. He's already had sex with her, so his current wife doesn't really have a reason to say no. 

Still, what good comes from following her over there? Signals whipped to her and the ex.  I like the move to stay home. Instead signals I’m not up for the bullshit drama, only sex. Strong. 

Edited by troph