2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

55 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks for that.  I suspected something like this.

Also, if you just follow the thread, it's some good info interspersed with the usual bullshit.

Follow the link in that post and you get this.  https://old.reddit.com/r/news/comments/lmywy0/ercot_texas_was_seconds_and_minutes_away_from/gny30t6/

Which goes on to explain the technical issues in greater detail.  PineappleMechanic's fifth reply provides a pretty good car/traffic analogy for the situation.

In a situation where you need all the cars on the highway going real close to 60mph to avoid a giant pileup, Austin's grid kept doing 59 or 61.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Why was there a massive rush to buy food? Water I get, as we don't know when it's coming back. Stuff like batteries and cold-weather gear, that makes sense too. And some people undoubtedly lost a lot of refrigerated stuff to spoilage. And, finally, it's been a few days since some people were able to get to the store.  But even so, why did people buy EVERYTHING instead of their normal weekly-or-so resupply?

Your username should clue you in. People gotta use up all that TP they hoarded last year for the Covid .

10 hours ago, horn4life said:

You are my neighbor for sure.  The split for us is on Oak View with one side having power and one side not.  But the fucking outage not being on the grid pisses me off.  I was glad my friends near Caraway Elementary got power back, but that also meant the broken pipe discovery.  Elevation in the area means whether or not you have any water pressure.  Apparently I am just low enough to still get flow at the sink... sort of like and old guy at a football game urinal.  

Just sucks. Here is map, with center near DK https://outagemap.austinenergy.com/external/default.html

looks like there may be crews in our neighborhood finally.  50 hours straight now.  106 total. this city is run by children.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Since I have been without electricity for much more than 100 hours, and my hot water is now flowing a bit, I am celebrating with this post on page 100...

Another day of, water for in laws toilet, find some more gasoline (costco) try to find another bottle of propane as I just put the last of my 4 bottles in the Trailer a little while ago as I woke up cold in there. Chip away at my driveway ice.  Spend an hour or so chipping away at my In-laws ice on their driveway, as the MIL needs to get her pain pump refilled. As without that drip from the pump a broken back sort of hurts a lot.  But with her on a walker, I am very worried about the driveway not thawing, and me needing to try and get her to step up into my 4x4 truck, will be an exercise in both falling danger and excruciating pain.  S a full day of fun!!!!

Hope I can get the power back, just to try and heat up the house and pipes.  But even that scares me. It's funny I KNOW I have several copper fitting caps, but damned if I know where they are, but they are somewhere in my garage.  This wether situation has made think about consolidating any of my plumbing shit.  I normally buy extra fittings, just to save a potential second trip, so I need to get all my shit together for myself, or to be able to help somebody.  

Good luck today all!  I guess the good news is I am sort of special as one of only 16,000 or so Austin folks still without power.

you and me both on the feeling special angle.   so you didn't cut your water off and you are getting water?  everyone I talk to in the neighborhood is without water due to the main break.

good luck with your MIL. 

By the way, the gas station down jollyville south of oak knoll on the right had gas last night.  the shell on oak knoll didn't

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

looks like there may be crews in our neighborhood finally.  50 hours straight now.  106 total. this city is run by children.

I’ve been reporting the outage to Austin Energy constantly for the last 2 days. Finally today the site said it was aware of the outage. Every other time it’s been saying it does not have a report of the outage. The fuck y’all don’t, I’ve been reporting it constantly. So MAYBE they means they’re finally working on the problem. 

my love for Austin has taken a serious serious hit this week. I don’t think it’ll ever recover. I think I want to move once my husband finishes his program. 

Edited by SubliminalHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

I’ve been reporting the many outage Austin Energy constantly for the last 2 days. Finally today the site said it was aware of the outage. Every other time it’s been saying it does not have a report of the outage. The fuck y’all don’t, I’ve been reporting it constantly. So MAYBE they means they’re finally working on the problem. 

my love for Austin has taken a serious serious hit this week. I don’t think it’ll ever recover. I think I want to move once my husband finishes his program. 

I'm in for a while just because i know my house will increase in value but my timeline to get the hell out is definitely shorter.  will need to downsize anyway.

I get that this is likely a once in a 50 year type event(until it proves not to be) and that they don't have enough crews to cover every outage in a day or 2 but the non communication with customers(they have every one of our damn cell phone numbers) is infuriating. Additionally, it is apparent their systems are shit and have never been pressure tested.  I was told 3 different things about my outage.  "blow fuse", "frozen breaker", "tree limb".   

6 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m at DK & Double Spur power back, no water

Our friends very close to you just got power back, no water.

Friends that live in 59 near Oak Knoll have had no power since Sunday night (1:47 AM Monday morning actually).

We've had three familes in our home since Monday now.  Out here in our part of CP that's also in Travco, we've never lost power or water.  I have no idea why PEC didn't ever roll us for blackouts, all I can think is that we're very close to a couple of water towers that service a large part of the area so perhaps that's why we retained electricity this entire time.

We feel blessed, and I'm deeply grateful that we were able to provide shelter, warmth, and water, for our friends that didn't fare as well.

I also hope that all of you on surly that have suffered, will manage to get through to the end, soon.

Edited by utee94

Well got electricity on at 9:00 am.  God must have known that last bottle of propane was meant for crawfish!

Anyhow hope we can get into thaw mode.  And yes I have been lucky o the water front simply as we are a hair lower in elevation.  Since my Mother In Laws appointment to get her pain pump refilled got moved up to 11:30 (vs prior planning for 4 pm) I need to go over and shovel out a path.  As walker, with step up into 4x4 Chevy, plus ice on feet of elderly trying to get into said truck.... is a recipe for disaster.  I am bitching, but damn glad I can be there for them. That pain pump is about as important as life itself to be honest.

I also need to figure out what's up with gas hot water heater not working, but I put it to pilot and will see if there is flame or not.  I sure wish I would have showered, on Tuesday when I had a chance of both water pressure and heat for a couple hours.  But damn boys the end of the freeze is near!  But that only brings on the fear of "are my pipes busted?" Even the thaw is both friend and potential foe...

9 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

So with my water pressure slowly returning, would the recommendation be to continue running a drip in the faucets until temperatures exceed freezing for a while this afternoon?

Depending on your piping and insulation in the house, if you have copper you may want to drip to keep water moving through to warm the pipes up. But if your house is warm then your interior pipes should be above freezing. When we turned our water main back on, we opened all the faucets in the house to push air out and avoid any water hammer in the pipes, and then slowly closed from the top floor down, listening for any hissing in the walls and looking for wet spots and drips as we turned them off. If you're dry 30-60 mins after doing all that, you're (probably) good

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Where can I find pho in the Parmer/Dessau area?  Or a place open in Cedar park?  My brother is being stubborn as fuck telling us to stay away, says he has plenty of (cold) food and (stored) water, but no power now going on 110 hours. I just want to do something and I’m hoping to make a drive over to him today to lift him up a bit. Apartment complex management is about as worthless as they always are, and they are getting reamed on Facebook for not responding to tenants. Fucking infuriating, all this bullshit. 

I’m grateful for my power being restored yesterday. Can’t believe some are still without. This is very frustrating. My parents are still without. Has to be 120 hours or so for them. They’re between Temple and Troy. They and their neighbors have tried getting through to Oncor.  Oncor reports their power restored as of three days ago. Oh, boy.