2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well Santa Anna fucked around and found out....guess we can also

On February 12 they crossed the Rio Grande.[40][Note 7] Temperatures in Texas reached record lows, and by February 13 an estimated 15–16 inches (38–41 cm) of snow had fallen. Hypothermia, dysentery, and Comanche raiding parties took a heavy toll on the Mexican soldiers.[41]

Fuck accuweather is only giving updates on the weather, what site are y'all using for Comanche updates?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Bump.

Was wondering the same thing myself. My backflow preventer is in the ground (appears to be a double check assembly) and this is different from 99% of any youtube sprinkler winterization advice/instructions.

I opened up my sprinklers too early one spring (Denver) (it had been blown out/winterized in the late fall).

Cold snap and the backflow preventer froze and sprouted a geyer when it thawed out. I shut off the geyser (turned off the water to the irrigation system) and waited for repair. 

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Since I will be turning off the water do I need to do anything to the water heater?  Edit: reading online and it looks like I should go ahead and shut off gas, water supply and drain the water heater just to be safe.

we closed on the house today but it will not fund until next week so I’m still responsible.  Figure if I shut off water and water heater the buyer can turn it all on when they take possession.  Limits my risk during this hard freeze.

Well the damn handle on my water shutoff is broke and the city has the new locking lid bullshit so I can’t shut it off on their side.  I have wrapped the spigots pretty good and left the water on a light stream at each faucet in the house (just a hair more than a drip) with all sink cabinets open.  Heater is set to 72 in the house as well.  It’s a slab foundation home built in 2013 so I feel like we should be ok.  Luckily my realtor is a neighbor so she is going to stop by each day to make sure all is good.

This is also my first experience with a pool in this kind of cold.  Freeze protection should be enough but I added a little extra to the equipment pad.  Maybe it doesn’t really do anything but I know it can’t hurt.  

3CE7DC00-8F1C-4B32-ACA3-C84307254BAD.jpeg

53F902D0-93C9-4A66-AA73-812F91F15B91.jpeg

Edited by TexEx15
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Well the damn handle on my water shutoff is broke and the city has the new locking lid bullshit so I can’t shut it off on their side.  I have wrapped the spigots pretty good and left the water on a light stream at each faucet in the house (just a hair more than a drip) with all sink cabinets open.  Heater is set to 72 in the house as well.  It’s a slab foundation home built in 2013 so I feel like we should be ok.  Luckily my realtor is a neighbor so she is going to stop by each day to make sure all is good.

This is also my first experience with a pool in this kind of cold.  Freeze protection should be enough but I added a little extra to the equipment pad.  Maybe it doesn’t really do anything but I know it can’t hurt.  

A locking handle on the main city shutoff? Ive never heard of such a stupid thing. Why would they do that 

36 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Bump.

Was wondering the same thing myself. My backflow preventer is in the ground (appears to be a double check assembly) and this is different from 99% of any youtube sprinkler winterization advice/instructions.

I talked to the guy that inspects ours in the house (fire sprinkler) and to our lawn sprinkler guy.  They said shutting the upstream (toward source) valve should be fine.  Sprinkler off, of course.

Both said probably no worries, anyway.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a balmy 34 and sunny in Dallas.  34 by NWS, 38 by car thermometer.

That's 8-10 degrees warmer than forecast by anyone.

Yeah, pleasantly surprised by this.  I've also noticed that the forecast for the next few days has risen a few degrees...hope this continues.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

The abdominal snowmen are roaming now, they'll probably cause 20% of those 10,000 deaths.

I hate those guys.  It's like, "yeah, Frosty...we get it!  You do cross-fit, got it dude!" Judging by the carrot, he's also a damn  Vegan.  

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am in the Circle drive area(austin)  and we have been below 31 since midnight Thursday (i.e. Wednesday night). All of our trees, grasses, fences have ice on them.

Wind has been 10mph  nonstop.

I went to my construction yard by the airport this afternoon, and by the time I got to the y in oak Hill, all the ice was gone and the temp rose 4 degrees.   It was just a normal cold day elsewhere. 

Got back home  to 25 and sleeting, wtf.  Must be living in a snow globe. 

3 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I am in the Circle drive area(austin)  and we have been below 31 since midnight Thursday (i.e. Wednesday night). All of our trees, grasses, fences have ice on them.

Wind has been 10mph  nonstop.

I went to my construction yard by the airport this afternoon, and by the time I got to the y in oak Hill, all the ice was gone and the temp rose 4 degrees.   It was just a normal cold day elsewhere. 

Got back home  to 25 and sleeting, wtf.  Must be living in a snow globe. 

In the 78758. Has yet to get above 28 degrees here today.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jr and DIL have been out house shopping in the Dallas area, said main roads were good some neighborhoods were a bit dicey.  

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

City lock easily defeated with flat head and hammer. Just pry it up. It won’t break the lock. Just jam back down when done. 

• Like 1

This model shows the amount of precipitation that is forecast to fall through Thursday.  Assuming this is mostly snow, the totals could get pretty high once this is all said and done.  Assuming the snow falls at a 10:1 ratio, Houston could see a lot of snow.

1613649600-rU9uZ4l3snU.png

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A lot of homes here have blowers in the chimney to make sure as much of the heat as possible gets into the house and not up the chimney. Pretty cool. 

Sounds cool, but how does it blow the heat in while still allowing the smoke to go out the chimney? 

4 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Sounds cool, but how does it blow the heat in while still allowing the smoke to go out the chimney? 

Don’t know. But it does. I seent it. 

here ya go. It uses the heat absorbed into the brick/rock to heat air that’s coming from the room. 

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Blog/fireplace-blowers-explained

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I am in the Circle drive area(austin)  and we have been below 31 since midnight Thursday (i.e. Wednesday night)

i would imagine we are going to break whatever the record is for the longest period continuously below freezing.... yeah?

not going to get above 32 until Wednesday. Damn near close to a week.

Edited by yoladu

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

Every home should have a fireplace, or wood burning stove in case the power goes out in freezing weather.

it's like natural gas doesn't even exist...

Lived in home 16 years in Oak Ridge North.  The folks who bought our house will have to be the first people to ever have a fire in the fireplace.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Handle broke off on my irrigation shutoff.  Right in my hand.  

The house water shutoff is nearby, but I'm not gonna fuck with it unless I need it.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

City lock easily defeated with flat head and hammer. Just pry it up. It won’t break the lock. Just jam back down when done. 

I’ll do you one better.  Grabbed this and got the water turned off.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-in-1-Combination-Water-Meter-Valve-Tool-410-409-0111/313634366

92CA2204-07CB-4672-B28A-56F340BD00BC.jpeg

Edited by TexEx15
  • Hook 'Em 1

@phdhorn, the local mets here in Houston haven't really begun to talk about accumulation totals, but the NWS is "only" calling for 1-3 inches north of Houston.  Some pro mets I follow on other weather boards are posting the model data I get here and talking about possible really big accumulation totals.  The model I posted above would dump 20+ inches north of Houston if it all fell as snow.  I've stopped second guessing the NWS after this summer when they nailed every single hurricane, but why are they still being so conservative on their totlas given the what he models are showing? 

Just got back from my marina on Lake Austin. About half the boats previously on lifts are now floating in the water in their slips as the owners try see if the lake water will be warm enough to keep their engine blocks from cracking. Nobody winterizes their boats anymore since 2 weeks ago it was 85 degrees and surf weather. 

2 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Just got back from my marina on Lake Austin. About half the boats previously on lifts are now floating in the water in their slips as the owners try see if the lake water will be warm enough to keep their engine blocks from cracking. Nobody winterizes their boats anymore since 2 weeks ago it was 85 degrees and surf weather. 

Very very well done.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding all of the warnings regarding potential power demand exceeding supply, is the issue that turbines will be shut down? It doesn't seem like this shit show should require more electricity than the 7 straight days of 100+ temps we see every August right?  Am I missing something.   Obviously if power goes out RIP pool equipment

• Like 1