2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

8 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My wife woke up and is mad I "wrecklessly went out in the storm while drunk." Thabkfully she went back to bed and I can drink in peace.  Godspeed gents..

Amazing. 

4 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Yeah. I'm thinking this is not good. The pump is running full speed. Not exactly sure what can be done at this pointff260f1f5fe713d118750a9d15ffc009.jpg

Where is this? I've been debating whether or not the pool is going to ice over where I'm at. 

7 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Yeah. I'm thinking this is not good. The pump is running full speed. Not exactly sure what can be done at this pointff260f1f5fe713d118750a9d15ffc009.jpg

I wonder if aquarium heaters would give off enough heat to be useful?

and you should be ok as long as the pump inlet and outlet don’t get frozen over. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, Updawg said:

Supposedly heat pumps are having trouble with this cold?

Just something I heard. No idea if true. I have a gas system

It's been decades since I lived in a place with one, so maybe newer ones are better--but back in the '80s and '90s, once temps got down into the mid or lower 20s, a heat pump was about as useful as tits on a bull. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I may have converted to team flow.  The frost-free spigot froze again and it took a good hour of dumping hot water on it to unfreeze it.

And another one, that was not frozen eight hours ago is.  The third is still hanging in.

Come to the dark side. Let the evil FLOW thru you 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

And a high of 17 today.

Holy shit.

damn man. thats going to fucking sting. we've had 17 as the low and that shit caused problems.

gonna be a hard monday for you homies. hang in there. sure wish i was drinking some whisky and participating (with no pipes on the line!)

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Multi layers, taking dog out.... if yall dont hear from me in an hour I'm dead.

I understand the consternation over pipes and power, and driving, but I don’t get the bitching about being out and about in the cold.  Texans are supposed to be of hearty stock.  It never occurred to me when I decided to move north that the cold would bother me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

insulation should be just as important down there for summer time, only other difference I can think of is my hvac is under the house so we have floor vents instead of ceiling vents. Maybe the heat starting at floor level and rising is significantly more efficient. 

Bingo.  We have heat coming out of the ceiling, because that's the cheap way to do it down here.

We are in full crisis mode now. Power is out and i am pretty sure pipes are freezing. None of that matters. 

I am trying to moderate and the beer I left outside HAS FROZEN. These are trying times and honestly I don't need this kick in the balls. I am feviorously trying to raise their temps to a sustainable level. No soldier left behind. We are truly in dark times.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We are in full crisis mode now. Power is out and i am pretty sure pipes are freezing. None of that matters. 

I am trying to moderate and the beer I left outside HAS FROZEN. These are trying times and honestly I don't need this kick in the balls. I am feviorously trying to raise their temps to a sustainable level. No soldier left behind. We are truly in dark times.

Thoughts and prayers.  Seriously.  

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I understand the consternation over pipes and power, and driving, but I don’t get the bitching about being out and about in the cold.  Texans are supposed to be of hearty stock.  It never occurred to me when I decided to move north that the cold would bother me. 

I lived all over the South, as well as mostly Texas.  Lived up north for two years.  Out of the sucky states of Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Florida, and North Dakota,  my top 5 worst places to live:

• North Dakota
  • North Dakota
  • North Dakota
  • North Dakota
  • North Dakota

You can run that list out to 10 if you'd like, won't change.

I loved their houses, they were well built, loved having an actual basement, liked ice hockey, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and seeing nuclear missile silos, but the cold sucked ass like nothing else.  You can't get your ass sucked even a fraction as hard in a truck stop in College Station, versus how hard the ass sucking in North Dakota is.

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If you weren't on Team Drip, join Team Run while you try and get your water cut off.  

Really sorry some of you are going through this shit, and my fingers are crossed I won't.

i've been informed - after discovering that one, our garage freezer had indeed shut down and shit was defrosting, and two, the little "window' on our pool pump for backwash was indeed frozen - that i am freakig out too much and need to chill, he's from Ohio this is nothing... which is true except this is Texas and our homes, pools, etc simply weren't built for this and y'all are freaking me out 🤨

anyways...it's very pretty and very bright for some reason!

20210215_000820.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, atomheartbevo
4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If you weren't on Team Drip, join Team Run while you try and get your water cut off.  

Really sorry some of you are going through this shit, and my fingers are crossed I won't.

Soooo, do I hook up the hose to the spigot now and run it into the yard or cut it off at the street?

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, I've been standing around like a dipshit fucking with outside spigots for about two hours on and off.  Got a good parka and a hoodie underneath, gloves, beanie.  It's fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pipes and power are the problem.

I just went out to knock off the big-ass icicles that have formed on the pool spillover features and which are threatening to plug them up.  I admit am not built for the cold, but I fail to see how 1/2" of styrofoam is going to keep my hose bibs from freezing through all of this.  

I am beginning to give in to despair. 

But as @mchookem noted, it does look kind of pretty, like a DMT surge before death's sweet release.

923168980_PXL_20210215_060954729.NIGHT(1).thumb.jpg.c4289c0805c23b89cb93acd16b0a9886.jpg

At least @C-Man hooked me up with some sweet-ass insurance.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Pretty sure my heater has stopped working. The air coming out of the vents is cool and the temp has dropped to 67 with the thermostat at 69. Gonna be a fun night. 
Are you a heat pump? If so, it's the unit trying to defrost. It will run the "AC" for about 10 to 15 minutes to heat the outside unit up and melt the frost from the fins and the unit. Hopefully, it will allow the heat to work again

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

As an anecdote, you wouldn't believe how many people around here seem to only own "no-show"  athletic socks.  Freezing temps, but their ankles are showing when they sit down.  And they have a hoodie on with a tee shirt under.  This is their cold weather gear.

Southern California and Austin say hello. 

2 minutes ago, Damor said:

I just went out to knock off the big-ass icicles that have formed on the pool spillover features and which are threatening to plug them up.  I admit am not built for the cold, but I fail to see how 1/2" of styrofoam is going to keep my hose bibs from freezing through all of this.  

I am beginning to give in to despair. 

But as @mchookem noted, it does look kind of pretty, like a DMT surge before death's sweet release.

923168980_PXL_20210215_060954729.NIGHT(1).thumb.jpg.c4289c0805c23b89cb93acd16b0a9886.jpg

At least @C-Man hooked me up with some sweet-ass insurance.

Beautiful. 

Just now, Catpfish said:

Are you a heat pump? If so, it's the unit trying to defrost. It will run the "AC" for about 10 to 15 minutes to heat the outside unit up and melt the frost from the fins and the unit. Hopefully, it will allow the heat to work again

It is a heat pump so I hope you're right.