2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

As a Native Texan, I hate the cold unless it is snowing or icing. Those days are fun since everyone is home and we can sit around and drink and watch the ice/snow accumulate. It may as well be sunny and 80 degrees for me if it isn’t snowing/icing. This past week has been pretty miserable for me weather wise.

As a Native Texan, I hate the cold unless it is snowing or icing. Those days are fun since everyone is home and we can sit around and drink and watch the ice/snow accumulate. It may as well be sunny and 80 degrees for me if it isn’t snowing/icing. This past week has been pretty miserable for me weather wise.

Thoughts and prayers as you navigate through highs in the 40s and 50s
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Apparently the eastern Midwest is less prone to the winds than the more open plains.  I would have thought this was an issue in Indiana, but apparently not.

A couple years ago, I was outside helping in an ice fishing contest, and it was a sunny, windless 0 degree day.  It was honestly more pleasant than a 35 degree rain with driving winds.

Below zero on a sunny windless day in the mountains is paradise.

Windless cold and dry heat make the extremes much more pleasant.

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Below zero on a sunny windless day in the mountains is paradise.

Windless cold and dry heat make the extremes much more pleasant.

Yup.  People make fun of these sayings, but they're absolutely true.  100 degrees in Phoenix vs 100 degrees in Dallas is two very different things.  Just like 0 degrees with a driving wind and 0 degrees with none are two very different things.

Thoughts and prayers as you navigate through highs in the 40s and 50s

Thanks. It’s been tough really. I haven’t been able to wear shorts in over a week now and I only wear my swimsuit when I get in the spa. I guess I’ll just have to keep drinking whiskey to keep warm inside.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three types of people I don't trust:
- People who don't like dogs
- People who don't drink (excluding people in recovery)
- People who like cold weather
Wife's a Texan and surprisingly to me, she loves the snow and cold she can handle.  
So...about that. I and more than a few Shagsters know you shouldn't trust her

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Damn underdog...take it easy. Is it heavy wet shit or fluffy stuff? Looks fluffy.

spacer.png

I believe we're the only house on the street with our driveway not cleared out, my guy is running late. 

We were out doing errands yesterday with temps in mid teens but with the sun out it felt rather pleasant.  Once the sun hid then it felt cold.  

Edited by Underdog

That was beautiful to watch, but reminds me of why I rarely miss living up North.  The detached garage is just sitting there, looking at you, judging, looking, judging.  Reminding you no matter how beautiful the fresh snow looks, how cozy you are inside, you gotta get your ass up tomorrow and shovel that out so you can warm your car for a half hour before you get your ass to work.  

17 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, Central Park, as of 8 AM this morning had recorded 10 inches.  In my neighborhood, I think we got at least a foot.  It was really coming down this morning.

Yeah, i have a friend in Endicott and he said they got dumped on yesterday with 3' of snow. No typo.  That is FEET of snow... No plows yesterday or today and they just got a bulletin that the State of NY and National Guard will be out today.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Binghampton, NY hit the jackpot:

That's unreal.  Obviously I live in a climate prone to cold and snow, and there are a lot of winters where we don't get that much cumulative snow over the whole season.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That was beautiful to watch, but reminds me of why I rarely miss living up North.  The detached garage is just sitting there, looking at you, judging, looking, judging.  Reminding you no matter how beautiful the fresh snow looks, how cozy you are inside, you gotta get your ass up tomorrow and shovel that out so you can warm your car for a half hour before you get your ass to work.  

Snow removal is, by far, the worst part of a northern winter.  Unless it snows on a weekend - then it's kinda fun.  Put some coffee on, go shovel in the cold, come in and warm up with the coffee and a shower that lasts until the water heater is tapped out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Snow removal is, by far, the worst part of a northern winter.  Unless it snows on a weekend - then it's kinda fun.  Put some coffee on, go shovel in the cold, come in and warm up with the coffee and a shower that lasts until the water heater is tapped out.

I agree.  But I didn't have two things growing up in the snow:  a tankless water heater that provided nearly endless hot water in the shower.  And bourbon to go with my coffee.  Because, you know........alcohol laws.  Thanks a lot Obama!  

Whenever we go see the in-laws in Kansas for Christmas' Past, I'd shovel their driveway and then her grandfathers.  For old time's sake.  to remind me of another time in my life when it was a weekly ritual, not a one-off exercise session.  And fuckin-a, you forget what a workout it is if you move at a decent pace.  I mean, I shovel it more out of being a good guest, but when you remember how you had to hustle after a big storm so you could get the car out for school or work on time...really makes you pause.  I drive by those cross-fit gyms where the people are flipping large tires and shit in the parking lot.  And I think, if you could somehow capture and store that pointless waste of human energy and inertia, and transfer it to the driveways and sidewalks of older people up north in the Winter and clear them of snow so these folks could safely walk and drive for essential reasons.  Can we do that?  Is there an app for that?  Because seriously, it's like watching Al Qaeda train in monkey bars, what the fuck is the point?  There's no reason to flip tires...grab a shovel and help a grandma out.  

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Serious question for the eskimos here. Do you get all showered and shaved and dressed for work and then go shovel the snow in your work clothes? Or do you go shovel it, then get ready and hope that enough snow doesn't fall while you're in the shower to make you do it again?

Also, can't you just pay someone to do it for you?

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Serious question for the eskimos here. Do you get all showered and shaved and dressed for work and then go shovel the snow in your work clothes? Or do you go shovel it, then get ready and hope that enough snow doesn't fall while you're in the shower to make you do it again?

During winter I shower the night before, if I get a bit sweaty using the snow blower I'll just wipe down with a washrag.  If I know there's to be measurable accumulation then I set my alarm an hour earlier to deal with the driveway, walk to front door can wait.   Our garage is set back from front of the house and the mailbox is there also, so we try to clear off as much as we can for mail delivery can't do too much about the snow that falls while at work.  Deal with it when we get home. 

I’m a night showerer regardless. But you should remove snow before you shower for work if you do it in the morning. Exhaust from the snowblower/sweat isn’t a way to start your day off. Most times whatever you remove won’t fill back in by the time you’re done getting ready. Only shit part is you start packing in the snow with your vehicle tires so you get ice tracks on the driveway until you get a melt day or you chip at it
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Underdog said:

No.  Shoveled a bit early this morning but it's fruitless at this point.  Neighbor is still home. 

Latest pic, gauge is unofficial of course...

IMG_5479.thumb.jpg.ab264a01c88eaa5a061898c474f5ddf8.jpgIMG_5480.thumb.jpg.0f1e626f90211262c743cd8af1f64c46.jpgIMG_5481.thumb.jpg.6310762f75cb42d430e965176692c906.jpgIMG_5482.thumb.jpg.33ef28844c9eb8c328e616d4b855c709.jpg

Snow is stuck in street behind us. 

The shittiest thing about all of that is how awful it is to dig out of the 5ft pile left in your driveway from the plow.  I remember when we were still in South Jersey in '96 we got 44 inches of snow from 2am Saturday to 4pm Sunday.  My Dad had already moved back to TX while were trying to sell the house, so 15 year old me got to do all the shoveling.  Literally did a full shoveling 6 times in 2 days.  

The best part was a buddy's dad ran a plow as a volunteer FF.   He piled almost a street's worth of snow into his front yard and ran a dozer over it to pack it down.  This mountain was about 30 feet tall after all was said and done.  We spent the next 5 days building a massive igloo out of it, complete with a central room big enough for 12 of us to sit in (we didn't think the 6 tons of snow directly over our heads was anything to fear).  The thing was there for almost a month as it somehow never got over 25 degrees for a very long stretch.  Good times.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Wake up an hour earlier, get after it, jump in the shower and get ready for work. It's rarely going to snow enough in that time to make a difference. If it snows through the day, I'll have the local kid come and plow the thing.

• Like 1

When people would ask my dad why we moved from Chicago to Texas: "Because you don't have to shovel heat"

I lived in Tahoe for a year. It snowed 700 inches. There were 3 different times where it snowed over 2 feet a night for a week strait. The skiing was great and it was beautiful but it got so fucking old. I had a truck and a car and the car would sit for weeks and I'd get a notice they were plowing the parking lot of the condo I was living at and I'd dig out 3 or 4 cars before I'd find mine and then have to tie a chain to the truck to pull it out so I could get the door open to get it started to move it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

When people would ask my dad why we moved from Chicago to Texas: "Because you don't have to shovel heat"

I lived in Tahoe for a year. It snowed 700 inches. There were 3 different times where it snowed over 2 feet a night for a week strait. The skiing was great and it was beautiful but it got so fucking old. I had a truck and a car and the car would sit for weeks and I'd get a notice they were plowing the parking lot of the condo I was living at and I'd dig out 3 or 4 cars before I'd find mine and then have to tie a chain to the truck to pull it out so I could get the door open to get it started to move it.

Tahoe is nuts tho. I would bet since I've been in SW Colorado we have only had one year where it was out of control, stay home 3 foot a day for multiple days. Generally we get a bit of snow, the sun comes out and we play in the snow on the weekends. I'd much rather own my current acreage and need to dig out snow every so often than live in Texas and try to keep my lawn looking good. 

What irritates me and I know they can't help it is when the street plows put about a 2 or 3 foot wall of snow in front of the DW, we had to get out once to shovel some out just to get the up in the garage. 

I snow blow the street by my boulevard before the plow comes. I make about 5-10 lines. Theres still a plow present but it’s not as bad...at least I like to think it isn’t

14 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I usually get up around 4:15 to workout.  Done by 5, and start the breakfast/shower routine.  If it snowed, I just put on the Carhartts, go out, and shovel as my workout.

I'm not sure what you imagine an Iowa winter to be, but I probably have to shovel 5-8 times in a winter.  Max.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

The shittiest thing about all of that is how awful it is to dig out of the 5ft pile left in your driveway from the plow.  I remember when we were still in South Jersey in '96 we got 44 inches of snow from 2am Saturday to 4pm Sunday.  My Dad had already moved back to TX while were trying to sell the house, so 15 year old me got to do all the shoveling.  Literally did a full shoveling 6 times in 2 days.  

The best part was a buddy's dad ran a plow as a volunteer FF.   He piled almost a street's worth of snow into his front yard and ran a dozer over it to pack it down.  This mountain was about 30 feet tall after all was said and done.  We spent the next 5 days building a massive igloo out of it, complete with a central room big enough for 12 of us to sit in (we didn't think the 6 tons of snow directly over our heads was anything to fear).  The thing was there for almost a month as it somehow never got over 25 degrees for a very long stretch.  Good times.  

I don't know why, but this reminded me of the May 2013 blizzard. We got a foot of snow on May 3rd that year.  By May 8 it was 100 degrees.  Somewhere there's a picture of a snow pile in a Mankato MN mall parking lot with a bank thermometer in the background reading 100.  It's Upper Midwest weather encapsulated in one image.

• Like 1

I’m in high desert, so not much precip. 
never had so much snow that I had to move it to drive. 

my shoveling efforts and timeline usually revolve around the future forecast. If it will be sunny the next day, I let the sun do it. Biggest issue is when we get a little snow, then the sun comes out but it stays below freezing. That’s when the top of the snow melts from radiant sunlight, goes to the bottom of the snow where it’s shady and still cold, and freezes into a nice thin sheet of ice. I have to shovel before that happens. But shoveling an inch or two is really just pushing it around. 

9 hours ago, blacklab said:

Sierra Cement is a bitch to shovel (and to ski on). Tahoe is a blast. 

KT-22 forever! https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/the-devils-half-dozen-kt-22-squaw-valley-calif

My Toro snowblower was a kick to run around with when the big snows hit Denver. We get some big blizzards maybe once or twice a year - depending on the Nino/Nina pattern (low pressure formation patterns over the Four Corners area)

Denver isn't big snow country (shadow of the mountains for most storms). Upslopes bring the snow. For city slickers like I was there, a snowblower makes easy work of it. But you have to get out there early to avoid ice.

Praise to the real snowmovers out there working the land and cattle. Tougher motherfuckers than I will ever be. Hook 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No.  It wasn't ever supposed to be frigid.  It's going to be chilly and actually seasonal (i.e. near norms).   Since it's going to get warm today and tomorrow it'll definitely be colder.  Freeze for a lot of people overnight Christmas Eve, Christmas temps about 63°.

• Like 3

Hope y'all stay safe up there.  It's 80 degrees and mostly sunny in Austin today.  But that same system headed this way.  waiting on the final Christmas update from PhDHorn, but understand if he's busy with actual holiday shit.  Should only be about 35 on Christmas morning when the kids get up.  At least our grass will have some crackly ice dew on it, that'll have to suffice for 'White Christmas.'  Some days in the 30's next week with significant chances of rain, could turn into a flurry or two.  Including New Year's Day which would be a really neat way to start off 2021 for the kids.  

Meantime...suck it Oklahoma! 

52 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fuck off winter

This was a few miles from my house this morning. We got lucky with low snow totals, but Minneapolis is about to get it with no lube

Like I was saying earlier about the white outs.  Great representation of how nasty that shit is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Like I was saying earlier about the white outs.  Great representation of how nasty that shit is.

Wind wise this was as strong as it gets. Any more snow it wouldn’t resulted in interstate closures for sure. My driveway won’t take long to clear thank God. I can still see the soil from the field behind my house and most of my grass. I’m declaring it a brown Christmas. Fuck it, one thing went right in 2020