2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

From Eric Berger in houston:

Two things happened last night to contribute to these outages. First, demand was extraordinarily high across the state, Mercado said. And then, beginning at about 1 am, generating units started to shut down. This is almost certainly due to extremely cold conditions. Eventually about one-third of the anticipated capacity went offline. This included a handful of freezing wind turbines, but the majority of the volume losses were due to coal and natural gas plants going offline.

More in the link: https://spacecityweather.com/

• Hook 'Em 2

Houston apartment dweller here, just northwest of downtown.  Lost power around 3 AM.  My apt has been getting some good warming from the sun and stayed pretty warm last night while I complied with ERCOT’s requests.  
however, gonna be interesting when it’s pitch black in here after sundown. I have a gas stove but no fireplace and friends in The Heights with a generator at their home.  So they might be getting a friend for the night.  

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I would think so. A lot also depends how saturated the ground is before the storm but you probably won’t need to worry about flooding. Snow doesn’t pack that much precip

Roofs are a different story.  There's no way that they have the under roof membranes that we use.  has there been a lot of snow accumulation on roofs there?

More fuckery!

The City of Kyle says that their water supply is running dangerously low, and they're asking residents to suspend water usage until further notice. The city says the supply issue is due to a power outage at the Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, the city's water supplier.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Roofs are a different story.  There's no way that they have the under roof membranes that we use.  has there been a lot of snow accumulation on roofs there?

not really as the snow is powder and blowing around exposing some of the roof which has allowed the Sun to melt portions.

6 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

about 5 inches or so in my area.  I have the gutter covers that fully cover the gutter and have the curve so the leaves roll off and the water drains into the gutter but man if someone just has an open gutter that could be ugly 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

If your snow is done, you can use a leaf blower or broom to move it off of sidewalks and driveways if it hasn’t absorbed too much melted water yet. Should you care to. I’d check for slick ice underneath before going at it though. 

i did that on my cars with the broom to expose the windows so that the ice from the other night would melt.  If we can get through tonight with enough power  and  it is sunny the following days I think we make it.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

about 5 inches or so in my area.  I have the gutter covers that fully cover the gutter and have the curve so the leaves roll off and the water drains into the gutter but man if someone just has an open gutter that could be ugly 

In my experience (and it's a bad one) gutter guards make it worse because the water freezes on the guard itself.  

That said, I'm sorry I even brought it up.  Ya'll have enough to deal with and it's very unlikely. 

39 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Interesting. I’m off Burnet and North Loop, and can’t think of any critical facilities close by. I consider myself lucky to have been spared the outage, at least for now.

Seton Medical on 38th is the only thing I could think of. 

EMERGENCY UPDATE: The length of controlled outages have been significantly extended due to the current emergency grid conditions and severe cold weather. These outages are taking place across the service territory and ERCOT has said they could be required through Tuesday. We are asking all Oncor customers to be prepared to be without power for an extended period of time. In addition, we are responding to separate outages caused by the record-breaking winter storm that continues to impact our entire service territory. Customers do not need to report their outages at this time. We are doing everything possible to respond to each of these power emergency events. We remain in close coordination with ERCOT and we appreciate everyone’s patience as we do all we can to protect the integrity of the Texas grid.

Oncor message

• Fuck You 2

43 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Interesting. I’m off Burnet and North Loop, and can’t think of any critical facilities close by. I consider myself lucky to have been spared the outage, at least for now.

Obviously it’s to ensure Top Notch can keep cooking burgers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

It takes a certain set of conditions for them to form.  It might not be necessary.  If you do, just the first few feet is fine.  Honestly I'd just monitor at this point.

yeah, its easy to rake a couple feet on to the roof from the ground. 10-15 minutes of work.  I do the same thing with leaves.

18 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Most roofs in Texas don’t have a 3 foot perimeter of IWS to help prevent ice dams.   This short of a cold blast and halfway decent soffit vent intake / ridge vent exhaust will most likely not cause an ice damming problem.   

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

EMERGENCY UPDATE: The length of controlled outages have been significantly extended due to the current emergency grid conditions and severe cold weather. These outages are taking place across the service territory and ERCOT has said they could be required through Tuesday. We are asking all Oncor customers to be prepared to be without power for an extended period of time. In addition, we are responding to separate outages caused by the record-breaking winter storm that continues to impact our entire service territory. Customers do not need to report their outages at this time. We are doing everything possible to respond to each of these power emergency events. We remain in close coordination with ERCOT and we appreciate everyone’s patience as we do all we can to protect the integrity of the Texas grid.

Oncor message

Uh national map of outages shows the Texas grid has no integrity, too late oncor and Ercot and the rest of you sumbitches.

Edited by troph

To prevent my food from spoiling, I have thrown my Freezers contents onto the patio outside. 
Recommended practice is to freeze bottles of water outside and use them to pack your fridge and freezer. Then you don't have to worry about stuff like sun hitting your food and warning it or anything like that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Went for a short walk down S. Lamar and it’s a goddamned shit show out there. Cars sliding around struggling to get up hills. Can’t see the sidewalk since it’s covered by snow. I mean I know this doesn’t happen all that often, but seems like there was ZERO preparedness. Seems like incompetence everywhere

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You’d think that, wouldn’t you? I know there are some folks without power in the Houston area. But it seems that the bulk of the outages, and they’re gonna be 24 hr or longer....are in Austin. We’re taking the punch for the state, I guess.

Where are you getting your information from that Austin is getting it in the ass versus the the other major cities? I'm close to DFW Airport and we've been without power for almost 12 hours. My farm just outside of Dallas has no power also. 

Lucky enough to still have power in 78704 (fingers crossed), but at about 8am we smelled a burning smell coming from what we think was the heater unit in the attic. Can’t get an AC guy to come take a look at it until idk when, and don’t want to risk turning it back on in case we start a fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk