2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

Now on hour 14 straight with no power. Luckily the house is still about 57 so cold but not insane. Neighborhood next to mine just got power within last hour so hoping I'm next. 

Between the pandemic and this I'm not liking the way Texas runs shit when it hits the fan. They're the leave you in the woods to die type. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't KNOW Margo.  That's why I asked.  You think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main?

At the current MW prices, anybody that can produce is producing and everybody else is trying to get online ASAP.

But the grid requires a really small band of frequency (generation supply vs demand to take the power) or the whole thing shuts down and everybody is proper fucked.

1 minute ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

At the current MW prices, anybody that can produce is producing and everybody else is trying to get online ASAP.

But the grid requires a really small band of frequency (generation supply vs demand to take the power) or the whole thing shuts down and everybody is proper fucked.

Ok then.  You're lucky I'm Church of England.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok then.  You're lucky I'm Church of England.

Since I came off as harsh, typical MW prices are between $20-30.  Spot prices today were over $5000 for most of the day and maxing out over $9000+ adders. 

If they could get 20k hamsters to consistently get a MW out, they would.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The new borns and olds make this real scary... their room temps should be near 80, on a normal night. Hope everyone here keeps the little ones warm

JFC who sleeps near 80 degrees? I’d be sweating through my damn mattress.  My kids as infants liked it close to 70 since they were swaddled so tight. Any hotter and they woke up sweaty. 

Now old people I could see them sleeping at 80. I still don’t understand how that is remotely comfortable.

JFC who sleeps near 80 degrees? I’d be sweating through my damn mattress.  My kids as infants liked it close to 70 since they were swaddled so tight. Any hotter and they woke up sweaty. 
Now old people I could see them sleeping at 80. I still don’t understand how that is remotely comfortable.

I sure as hell am not sleeping at anything above 75 either. Our upstairs thermostat is at like 71 with the master floor vents closed so it can heat my each of my kids’ rooms a few more degrees. Don’t need them waking up at 615 because their feet are freezing. lol

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Picture from my bedroom window. I’ve been without power going on 20 hrs 

1A4D3E06-1B40-4259-8B8A-E64417B249C8.jpeg

Had one of those situations during a Denver outage. Neighbor across the street had power and and we had none plus  twin newborns. Neighbor with power (who reminds me of @Armybrat) saw it, plugged in an extension cord and brought it and a big space heater to the door. He offered us his finished basement (mother in law space) to get out of the cold.   

One hell of a guy and a great neighbor. 

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Dare I say it but there’s actually some solid insider perspective of what’s going on from a couple Texags posters. Gotta sort thru a mile of texags idiocy and bullshit but poster ‘gone maroon’ is dishing some intel on ercot and their mismanagement of the grid.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3182697/

FFS - those fuckers are morons.   Got a page number?  Page one is a beating. 

• Like 2

Yeah I feel for you guys. As far as I know, my grandparents and aunt and uncle are without power still in Williamson, as well as my BIL and SIL in Tarrant.  Unsure of mother’s status. 

they are playing a stupid and deadly game. Just alternating half the allowed circuits every hour, or a third every hour so everyone gets an hour of juice for every 2 without, should be plenty of MW savings. Why is this so difficult and inequitable?

and god have mercy on any of you that are on a variable rate plan. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, bluto said:

Oh no, if I did it you gotta do it too ... I at least gave a direct link to the thread, counts for something

What do I do with aggy when it appears in this form?

aggy quote: "reminds me, I have a salsbury steak hungry man in the freezer. sounds kind of good"

This quote is Authentic authentic frontier gibberish. 

How does that happen to a human?

Wanna Host a Webinar? Here's How You Find People to Watch It

Edited by washparkhorn

Coming up on hour 7 of no power in cedar park.  Apparently some parts of the neighborhood got it back in under 2 hours but the rest of us still down.  They say to call the PEC number to report but in the 2-3 hours after an outage starts I get no bandwidth like mid-day Saturday at ACl so what’s the point?

I'm at just over 24 hours without power. I've used up most of the firewood and have decided to burn the last I have in the morning when the temp is the lowest. I've been heating up cans of soup/chili in a saucepan over the fire. The fire went out a couple of hours ago, and it's fucking frigid. I'm going out to the car to keep my cellphone charged and warm up some.

• Like 1

Glad I decided last minute Saturday to go town to stay with a friend.  I live a half mile from my closest neighbor and outside of town has had a lot of power outages.   Also my car is in the shop and delayed bc of this now so I would have had no place to warm up if the power was out.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Dare I say it but there’s actually some solid insider perspective of what’s going on from a couple Texags posters. Gotta sort thru a mile of texags idiocy and bullshit but poster ‘gone maroon’ is dishing some intel on ercot and their mismanagement of the grid.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3182697/

I had to wade through a lot of bullshit to find the diamonds.

6 hours ago, Xian said:

So ive been reading up on ERCOT. They have tied into other grids in the past (including after ike), anyone know if they are doing that now?? 

from my readings (wiki and texas tribune) it seems in general their decision to avoid buying power from other grids is a political, not technical decision. Apparently when they tie in to others they risk bringing down federal oversight.  

i swear to god, if this has been made worse due to them fearing federal oversight. Fucking Charges should fly. Fuckers need to be in jail 

edit: Texas tribune article i mentioned above  

and if you point out who is responsible for this you get neg rep