2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

I have this wonderful feeling that I'll be one of the last to get back on today or tomorrow, since I was one of the last to go off early this morning. On my 10th hour now.

if anyone ever says to me in the near future "rolling blackout," I will punch their teeth out and then piss on their knocked out teeth, laughing hysterically.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Not seeing it on the ERCOT app, my capacity line basically looks horizontal since midnight

I think he was referring to the future capacity line which jumps about 5000 MW. Except that the forecast line keeps getting pushed back. Meanwhile, the demand keeps falling, now under 44000 MW.

My guess is they are still shedding load and the capacity bump is nothing more than a hope at this point.

Edited by Grade of D as in David

1 minute ago, Parliament said:
19 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
Just got our power back after 20 min. We’re on rolling black outs until further notice.

01ccf80989f25f74aaeba1f9b37477a1.jpg

If you wanna come north and stay with us, you're welcome to do so. You can stay as long as you want so long as you're...openminded.

I hope you mean so long as he sacrifices you to the god of winter as penance for your thread title.

Our friend is the executive chef at the Driskill. He's stayed on site the last 2 nights because it was too risky for him to drive back up to CP. It's just him and one other cook in the kitchen. They had a borderline record day for breakfast yesterday. Last night they had 400 rooms filled, the most since COVID hit. They're running out of supplies at a rapid pace.

If you wanna come north and stay with us, you're welcome to do so. You can stay as long as you want so long as you're...openminded...about trying new things.

And bring whatever drugs you have.

Our blackout lasted 20 min. But I’m certain it’ll be all night and day. We have power back at work again.

Gonna crank the heat at home

Well the weatherman’s predicting

a cold ass winter storm. 

and we all went to work that day to a cold February morn. 

and then the front blew in, everyone was runnin round.  

the temperature kept droppin and the snow came fallin down.  

power’s in demand , you see.

cause these are desperate times.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it’s ranging from 39-41 inside the house. Rough nights sleep in front of the fire, lots of blankets. Animals even got under the covers. They never do that. They are cold and miserable.

My daughters fish tanks some stairs died. All of em. She’s gonna be sad. Well tell her later.

We can’t keep this up. We’re going to shut down here. Turn off the water, drain all the pipes. Putting frozen jugs of water in the fridge to keep things cool.

If my old 4x4 will make It up the hill, we’re heading to my parents. They still have power, and their gad fireplaces actually can keep their house warm even if they lose it.

This is beyond bad. People are going to die. I have a long rant about our profit first, profit only deregulated market, and what it has now cost us, but I’ll save that for later.

For now, this is a life safety event. I’m worried about people and pets making it through the week. You need to start thinking in those terms. Do what you can to protect your property, but things can be replaced. Lives can’t. And with freezing rain coming, you’re going to be stuck wherever you are. So make it someplace you can survive.

Good luck. Going to start shutting things down. I’ll check back in later.

Hope you didn't run out of peanut butter.

I have a client in Southlake who reached out last night to let me know she and her husband had a major water pipe burst in the house. They shut the water off to avoid further damage. They have no power and no water. She said she's hearing Southlake may shut off water to the entire town. Is that possible?

Also, just heard the Musers report we officially hit -2 at DFW Airport around 6 AM today. Lowest recorded temp in DFW since 1949.

15 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Our friend is the executive chef at the Driskill. He's stayed on site the last 2 nights because it was too risky for him to drive back up to CP. It's just him and one other cook in the kitchen. They had a borderline record day for breakfast yesterday. Last night they had 400 rooms filled, the most since COVID hit. They're running out of supplies at a rapid pace.

Is this where the rich people start hunting the poor people?

• Hook 'Em 1

So we have a big Cafe-style Bunn coffee maker. Which still kind of works without power if you just pour boiling water through it. But the machine retains so much cold that the coffee that comes out is both shit ass weak and tap cold. I needed something stronger and actually hot so I rigged this up. Worked like a charm. 

20210216_104427.thumb.jpg.89c55c6a8ae65e09c0d4bbafd7c0d606.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Our friend is the executive chef at the Driskill. He's stayed on site the last 2 nights because it was too risky for him to drive back up to CP. It's just him and one other cook in the kitchen. They had a borderline record day for breakfast yesterday. Last night they had 400 rooms filled, the most since COVID hit. They're running out of supplies at a rapid pace.h

My sister is at a hotel in Houston. Just were told that after they serve breakfast this morning the hotel will be out of food

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I have a client in Southlake who reached out last night to let me know she and her husband had a major water pipe burst in the house. They shut the water off to avoid further damage. They have no power and no water. She said she's hearing Southlake may shut off water to the entire town. Is that possible?

Also, just heard the Musers report we officially hit -2 at DFW Airport around 6 AM today. Lowest recorded temp in DFW since 1949.

The water system, believe it or not, is not required to have redundant power under state standards; especially if they have elevated storage.  As a result, prolonged outages could result in loss of pressure and widespread boil water notices.  If they cannot safely pressurize the system that would be a big deal.  Any kind of pressure drop below 20 psi is treated as a serious potential breach, requiring bacteriological testing to ensure no contamination.  Shutting the system off can't be done without a coordinated plan to bring it back on safely and without contamination.  Honestly, I can't even fathom the logistics in doing that and I design water and sewer systems for a living.  It would be a catastrophe and have a really long tail of consequences for consumers.

I suspect they may implement some kind of draconian restrictions on use to prevent loss of pressure, but beyond that, no clue.

Coming up on 36 hours without power after going 28 from Thursday to Friday. We've had about 36 total hours of power in the last 120 hours. Our house has been 45 degrees or so for most of that time. The only bright spot is that I can boil water and make warm food on my grill. We're about to try to drive to stay with a friend but there is no exit from our neighborhood with at least one step hill. Here's hoping we don't crash.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well, it’s ranging from 39-41 inside the house. Rough nights sleep in front of the fire, lots of blankets. Animals even got under the covers. They never do that. They are cold and miserable.

My daughters fish tanks some stairs died. All of em. She’s gonna be sad. Well tell her later.

We can’t keep this up. We’re going to shut down here. Turn off the water, drain all the pipes. Putting frozen jugs of water in the fridge to keep things cool.

If my old 4x4 will make It up the hill, we’re heading to my parents. They still have power, and their gad fireplaces actually can keep their house warm even if they lose it.

This is beyond bad. People are going to die. I have a long rant about our profit first, profit only deregulated market, and what it has now cost us, but I’ll save that for later.

For now, this is a life safety event. I’m worried about people and pets making it through the week. You need to start thinking in those terms. Do what you can to protect your property, but things can be replaced. Lives can’t. And with freezing rain coming, you’re going to be stuck wherever you are. So make it someplace you can survive.

Good luck. Going to start shutting things down. I’ll check back in later.

basically our situation. Gonna wait until warmest part of the day and try and 4WD it out of the hills and get to friends place. I’m more pissed / feel more helpless than I’ve ever been but then think about so many out there less fortunate who are truly facing life death situations. Just an amazing breakdown on so many levels.

I was close to booking a room there yesterday but ultimately chose to stick to my house and trying keeping it from freezing over.

However having a warm meal prepared for you sounds real nice right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Upthread, a lot of the southlake area is under a water boil notice already because of no power at the water treatment facility. So my brother in law in his 5 million dollar westlake home, has to boil his water right now if he even has it to boil. 

Hour 30 with no power. I’m starting to be really glad I have a gas fireplace and stovetop. Temp got down to 44-45 in house this morning but with sun and more things cranked have it back up to 50. Would love a power hour just to get the temp up more before nighttime but I am not hopeful there.

Also starting to be glad I shut off water at 4:45 yesterday and drained pipes. At least I can focus on continuing my job as SS Icebreaker on our pool and not worry about some huge leak manifesting somewhere. At this point might not even try to bring any of those systems back up until Saturday or Sunday when we are back in high 40s/50s with sun.

Kids are at my in laws three miles away. They have never had a moment without power.