2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I have a feeling the switch s about to get flipped hard once everyone is asleep.

You think enough power is available for a bunch of people to slam it again as soon as everyone wakes up? I wish I shared your optimism (if that is what you’re saying). 

It’s been 48 hours here in west Montrose, except for 1:30am - 10:30am today. 

Hospitals may have power still, but we are doing what we can to lighten our load as well. No computer usage beyond our drug dispensers. All charting is on paper.

But at least I was able to make it to a hotel tonight, instead of freezing my ass off in my old af home with windows that don't fully close, with a landlord whose fix was putting a few strips of insulating tape over the gap (while leaving a small gap in the upper corner). So that's cool. Monday night was absolutely shit

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Freezing rain in Austin now.

On the one hand, I've seen the temperature rise a few degrees over the past two hours.

On the there hand, that's definitely fucking rain.  Not snow.  Rain.

So now it's a race to see if it will freeze before we hit above-freezing temps early in the morning.

we-are-fucked-south-park.jpg

As far as water goes I always have 6 five gallon bottles of water on hand at all times in the event boil orders surface or it gets cut off entirely.

Remember places like Home Depot have them and typically speaking even during panics the locusts don't see them because it is not why they went there. Just note that you getting a couple bottles will definitely trigger the locust swarm to get the rest.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah it is coming down at a very steady clip in the 78756

Can confirm it's coming down in the 56.

I'm not venturing outside to see what it's doing on the ground.    We are at 28 degrees right now, so I'm assuming not good.

But man if it could shed right off of the trees without freezing, that would be awesome.

But if I wish in one hand and shit in the other...

26 minutes ago, Bookman said:

So I haven't lost power at all. At this point I'm a little curious why.

You have first responders, a hospital, city infrastructure, telecommunications infrastructure (got any odd buildings without windows and fenced in with cameras around it?), or some city facility that's deemed "critical".

Kind of a little too late

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/travis-county-judge-outside-lighting-order-price-gouging/269-de7e0358-c012-45d7-ada3-880196e610f7

Travis County Judge Andy Brown said Tuesday that he is signing an order to require Austin businesses, stadiums and skyscrapers to turn off their outside lighting and any other non-essential lights or functions, in an effort to conserve energy during the city's ongoing power crisis. 

This announcement comes after social media outrage over photos of the Austin skyline lit up Monday night, as thousands of residents in neighboring areas continued to deal with power outages. Austin Energy said Tuesday that the downtown network is currently excluded from load shedding during controlled outages mandated by ERCOT because it is a part of a "complicated, inter-connected network" that includes critical buildings.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You have first responders, a hospital, city infrastructure, telecommunications infrastructure (got any odd buildings without windows and fenced in with cameras around it?), or some city facility that's deemed "critical".

Yes, there's a city hall, police department, and a fire department within a quarter mile.

7 hours ago, troph said:

What line of business are you in? I think I’m supposed to know. Anyway we had it as an afterthought but will at a minimum wire it ready with a spot to put the genny. Question will be “as if the power hadn’t gone out” or more of a survival mode.  Not yet sure.  Not a big fan of throwing down crazy money when what we really need is just basic creature comforts and major appliances. I’m sure we will decide in the next 2-3 months. I’m guessing you can set it up for either or?  Full house for routine outages and critical systems for times like these?  Also looks like they have their own tanks but can you have them draw direct from a large underground tank? Surely you can.  I should ask my lady but she’s watching TV and hates when I interrupt her. 

The load center panel addition is cheap during construction.  Do that for sure.  I think I recall you saying you're building on LT.  If you're on propane, go with the largest tank possible.  If natural gas, just try to bring all your utilities together in the same area if possible.  If you have the gas / propane line ready and the load center panel set up, it's almost a plug and play for the whole-house generator at a later date.  It was on my to-do list this summer, and I just didn't get around to it.

I own a construction and maintenance company in Austin.  We just added electrical services in the fall.  I hired a master plumber two weeks ago.  Just got our plumbing license last week.  I just don't have field operations set up yet, unfortunately.  Cuz there's gonna be just a bit of plumbing business in the next few weeks / months.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Somnio said:

Just went outside for some fresh air.  Frozen mist, and the ground icy as fuck is my weather update.

Woke up, peeked outside.  It is coming down.  Rain, sleet, frozen rain, whatever.  It was icy and slick last night. It's going to be super dangerous out there today.  Be careful if you must venture out.

Edited by Somnio

So I would suggest people try to get into limp mode themselves. Plumbers are going to be fucked for the next 2 weeks at minimum if you didn't already have something on the books. I had a water heater go last week and was on the schedule for 3 plumbers to come redo my hot water situation (I have since rescheduled so people with broken pipes get priority)

Did speak with reliant and they have enough crew to think they can get through all the broken pipe calls by Tuesday. 

In Lago vista we’ve been rolling roughly 30 on and 30 off starting around dinner time last night. Monday night the roll on and off were 1 hour on 2 off. Can’t complain about that. However, my son in apartments in spring town shopping center in San Marcos has been without power since before lunch on Monday. That shopping center has chuys, hopdoddy and all kinds of businesses. The business power was restored last night but not theirs. They also have no water. Haven’t talked to him this morning but if power is still off I will probably go get him. Neighbor just left to take his wife to work (she’s a nurse) all the way in westlake. I’ll talk to him how the drive was. So many hills to get out of town and up to Jonestown that worry me. 

Update:

30 hrs. no power, water, heat.  It's a living..

House cold but our we got our br somewhat tolerable, I slept like a baby 10 hrs. straight.  Stress will do that.

Rumor floating around here that our power outage isn't grid-related but mechanical.  Hoo boy of that's true, we'll see.

I'm beginning to feel like a guy on hoarders... need a hot bath FAST, toilets, uh, need help, dishes pulling up, shit like tags & clothes from going outside to keep my house intact strewn about... gettin' messy in here!

Today I look fwd to sitting in the car & listening to the radio as I charge my devices.  

Didn't do weather report last night as I don't want to do it on phone. Anyway no surprise  that melting is going on, this is a warm storm, expected it. Even with storm. #5 within. 1 week (again, I've never, ever seen that, no matter what season it is), should be out of the coldest air now for good.  Nighttime freezes still but should get at least a few hours today & tomorrow off melt.

Slowly, the warmer air is pushing in from the West.  Slowly though.

I'll post a forecast if I get power today.  Though I'm not optimistic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

If your house was built after about 2004, when copper was scarce, your water lines are probably made out of Pex (they are plastic). They will not bust, but a freeze does weaken them, your spigots may also be frost free. Thankfully, this is how mine was built. 

CHIEF