2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

The street outside my house looks like pure ice in south Austin.  Problem is forecast is only 33-34 today so may be hard to access what the afternoon will look like.  
My brother drove here in the snow from Buda with his two kids.  He just found out he has power now but is likely stuck with us another day/night if roads are iced.

As long as you can get some sun on it, it should melt the ice

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Not today. Or tomorrow.  But temps are > 32° today in much of TX thru at least dinner time.

You mean the underlying ice right at surface level? Because snow is melting right now. And I'm assuming will continue to melt until the sun goes down. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Anyone else have poor water pressure in Austin? Potentially not due to pipes freezing? 

We lost water, but we also got an email saying a pipe busted in the garage and that it may interrupt water to some apartments. We’re going that’s the reason and that it will be running again at some point today 

Power has been rolling Northwest Harris County somewhat consistently at 1 off 4 on still no water filled a couple of coolers with snow/Ice and am catching run off from the roof to fill the tubs. Tomball’s water supply is messed up, lots of wells with frozen small parts and chlorine injectors. Tomball ER is closed due to a massive water leak from burst pipes, we got a call that a nursing home had swiftly rising water this morning due to burst pipes. I feel bad for a lot of people who have been without power this whole time especially ones in older/lower income homes. We made a call Monday for multiple CO poisonings, people burning in their homes just to keep their families warm.

We abandoned the house and went to a friend's with a generator. According to my doorbell, our power came back at 2 am. I went to check on things this morning, including our dogs (bundled up in warmest room of the house). Power went back off about an hour after I got there. At least the house is warm again for awhile. 

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Anyone else have poor water pressure in Austin? Potentially not due to pipes freezing? 

Yes, Circle C/South Autstin area is having a problem

Travis County

Circle C – Austin Water says people who live in the 78739 zip code in south and southwest Austin may be experiencing water outages and low water pressure.

Edited by rage-a-holic

47 minutes ago, EE2B said:

This was quoted in his post. I didn’t read the full release but this certainly reads the way he described it in the tweet.
d7a83d9ec3d6b16863413f697d619caf.jpg

yeah that's the one, he's way wrong.  there's good discussion in the cloak room ERCOT thread about this.  

• Like 1

My power appears to be back on in Houston - Memorial. I believe it came back on at about 4 am, but I've been warned of rolling black outs. So fingers crossed, and knock on wood. 
Thanks to the Minnesota poster upthread that suggested a Mr. Heater indoor space heater. It won't help much this go around, but I'll be ready next time. In the mean time, I'll use it stay warm on my back porch. 

Yours back off yet? Memorial and Wilcrest came on about the same time and crapped out at 9:30.

Didn’t know what I was picking up last week in my hasty preparations, but I’m definitely team Little Buddy at this point. Going to acquire a couple more and some more 20# adapter hoses as insurance before next winter. Much better than electric space heaters, especially when there is no electric to use. 

7232E9B7-FB6D-4FF8-8F42-EFA29609914D.jpeg

20D6CB99-098D-4C3B-B5E4-CC08C8E38223.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Didn’t know what I was picking up last week in my hasty preparations, but I’m definitely team Little Buddy at this point. Going to acquire a couple more and some more 20# adapter hoses as insurance before next winter. Much better than electric space heaters, especially when there is no electric to use. 

How long is a tank lasting you?

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not really but it's warm enough for shit to melt. 

Where are you?  I'm not seeing much melting take place.  Not to be a Debbie Downer, but at the rate any melting is taking place in my neck of the woods I'd still have snow and ice come July.

11 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

If you were an energy company, you'd be selling that little set up for $10,000

• Hook 'Em 1

Approaching hour 60 with no power, no hot water (still flowing), a manual burning wood fire place with no starter and no gas appliances (no line). The last of the Doritos and almond butter are gone. About to give up, load up the dog and retreat. Been driving last two days all over in 4x4 with no issues in the snow. How fucked am I to drive in north Austin now?  Pure ice?  Wait until noon to make a break?

Good luck to all of those taking it with no lube 

Everything is ice and slush in central austin but I had no issues driving around in 4WD. Even stopped off at a gas station and filled up with gas plus bought extra water jugs.

Yesterday the lines at CVS and 7-Eleven were nutty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Barrington Oaks (Nw Austin 78759) no water. I cut mine off voluntarily yesterday. 

Most likely a very localized problem.  Like a water main problem.  

I want to strangle people on Facebook.   Lots of rumors flying around from somebody’s brother’s friend who works in an energy company in Houston or Dallas that Austin is going to cut off all water tonight to fix some problem and it will come back tomorrow with a boil notice.