2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

This is an embarrassment.  I know the weather has been unusually cold.  Some power outages, rolling blackouts, etc. should be expected.  However, what has and is occurring has exposed utter imcompetence.  Heads need to roll.  This should never happen again.  I am ashamed.  A week of cold weather, and I feel like I'm living in a 3rd World country.  Fucking ridiculous.

This is North Korea but I’m sure NK doesn’t have to boil water

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Meanwhile, residential gas outages may be the third wave after power and water, according to WFAA just now.

Now THAT is something that might break me. 

FWIW, Texas Gas Service has been very proactive with emails about their current status and what they expect. So hoping they can hang on another day or two. 

Got damn what a day. Pipes overhead garages are all shitting the bed throughout the area. In-laws yesterday, friend's last night, and my Dad's today. Went over to help him tear down the ceiling to find it was a CPVC run to an outside spigot on the Northwest corner of his house. Zero insulation up there. Drove all over creation dealing with Mad Max crowds trying to find a simple 3/4" plug and some solvent cement. Second trip to Lowes I was able to find one 3/4" solvent to thread adapter which I then rigged up to some existing PVC parts to fashion a plug. Some random guy found two packs of primer/cement and gave me one. Seems to be holding so we'll see. I told him to install a shut-off valve to that section and drain it anytime temps get below freezing.

Before I left the house I explained to my wife what to do in case the water came back on and shit went sideways. In hindsight I should have just shut everything off before I left. I come home and see water pouring out into the street and my wife scooping out the valve box with a pitcher. WHAT THE FUCK! Oh it's the neighbor's backflow exploding everywhere and she doesn't even know what a main shut-off is let alone how to shut if off. So I freeze my balls off soaked in water getting that shut off only to actually go look at the backflow and see that she just threw a towel over it and didn't actually winterize anything. Fuck me. Oh well she still has water until the rest of it blows up I guess.

We're refilling bathtubs, running the dishwasher and I'm shutting the valve back at the street for the next few nights.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It took until today for Abbott to do that??? Holy crap.

More from the presser

Abbott explained and reemphasized that decisions about rotating power outages or who gets power and who doesn’t is up to local, city-owned utilities or co-op-owned utilities. If they are investor-owned, like Oncor, Center Point Energy, AEP or Texas-New Mexico Power, they are regulated by the Public Utilities Commission.

“An order has been made to ensure that everybody that is subject to regulation by the PUC will have access to power on at least a rotating basis during the remaining time period until power is fully up and running,” Abbott said.

I'm not sure how to read that one.  That could make things worse - start pushing a lot more rolling blackouts could really fuck with the grid, since it seems like a lot of people initially hit by the rolling blackouts had their blackouts turn into hours-long blackouts.

To help with response to busted water pipes, Abbott said he will be issuing a waiver to previously-licensed plumbers who may not have continued their education in the past two years. These plumbers will be able to apply to help assist families and increase response to this problem. Additionally, Abbott said they’re working to get provisional licenses to out-of-state plumbers.

Not bad.

Executive Director Toby Baker with the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality reported there are about 276 boil water notices impacting just under 7 million Texans in the state. Another 263,000 are being affected by nonoperational systems. These are expected to last for some time after the weather clears and power returns. 

Baker said they’re working with labs who test water to help out local water utilities looking to monitor their water conditions. 

Kidd said FEMA is helping with water resources as well as providing cots, blankets and generators. Eventually the plan is to fly resources to hard-hit areas.

Saw they had over 5,200 road sections that were still closed off, so not surprised they are going to have to fly some stuff out.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Great. Busted copper pipe in the attic. Was to the outside spigot that I didn’t drain when I turned off the water. Had foam around it and some blown insulation too and still burst. Cut the drywall and have a guy coming tomorrow.

Same exact thing happened to me.

Holy crap St David’s South lost water pressure and are moving patients. Earlier they had employees using bio hazard sacks to use the restroom. Then ABIA cancelling all flights? I think that’s what they just said on local news. Have power again. Hope those without power get it soon. I wish I could do something to help. Feel paralyzed hearing about all the suffering and it’s just getting worse. I’d share my two forts and tent.

Holy crap St David’s South lost water pressure and are moving patients. Earlier they had employees using bio hazard sacks to use the restroom. Then ABIA cancelling all flights? I think that’s what they just said on local news. Have power again. Hope those without power get it soon. I wish I could do something to help. Feel paralyzed hearing about all the suffering and it’s just getting worse. I’d share my two forts and tent.

There are hospitals here in Houston losing water pressure as well. Texas is going to have multiple major cities lose water service entirely.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Boob pics always warm us up...just sayin.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Re the Rice professor Twitter thread is awesome. He’s spot on with what our mix should look like, and how we should run it.

We won’t. This will be used to kill solar and wind, and an excuse to build - probably with subsidies - uneconomical coal. Why? Because fuck you libtards. Even though gas makes much more sense.

We need peaking capacity. It probably needs to be gas. Generate our needs from as much renewables as we can, when we can. Fill the rest of the need with gas generation.

And I’d love a second look at nuclear as well.

Whatever the future plans will look like, the time to sell them is now.  I think we have their attention.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I've never been off for less than 10 hours since last Thursday.  this rolling thing in Austin is bullshit.  austin energy doesn't know how to do it.  I realize its not all AE's fault because ERCOT tells them to shed load.  l have friends in Buda/Kyle saying they are 40 min on/20 off all day today.

this austin load shed plan/map is fucked.  It appears that people are either 90%+ on, 40% on, or 10% on.  heads need to roll at all levels.

In Lago vista our rolling on off was 30 on 30 off since dinner yesterday until this morning (very spotty prior to where you had no confidence it was rolling). Then it seemed to roll longer both ways but never went either way more than 2 or 3 hours. But there was some consistency to it and it made me feel like it’s rolling and not this other crap of days with no power. I can’t complain about how things were handled here. My son, however was about 48 hours without power down right by Texas state in student housing. Lives in a domain type area with chuys, hopdoddy, ihop, shopping, all kinds of businesses. They spent all last night in total dark staring at the taco cabana sign and others light up.. right there next to them. Lost power again a while back and they are worried they are about to go thru that all again. So frustrating to see many around you never lose power and you are constantly without power and or water or both. 

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

@South Austinyou still down? I'm guessing our transformer won't be repaired till tomorrow at the earliest now.

I’m still down. If you hear anything tag me and I’ll do the same.

But props to King Liquor at Burnet and North Loop. Everyone around them lost power, and they brought a generator to fire up the store and were open for a few hours. So at least I got liquor to get me through the night.

• Hook 'Em 2

We've gotten several brownouts in the past 20 minutes as well in our corner of 78756, just as we heard what sounded like some nearby work crews doing something, so I cranked our heat (natural gas, don't hate me) up into the low 70s, as I'm assuming we will lose power shortly.

The only silver lining is that our pipes rely a lot on heat within the house and the outdoor faucets don't have piping that travels along exterior walls. Now that we are past the fucking 8 degree bullshit, I actually think we can handle upper 20s/low 30s outside without power.

Friday is going to suck, as it will be down in the low 20s again.

We are trying to do our part and keep all lights off except for a few small rechargeable lanterns.  Feels like we are camping or on the prairie or something, just with decent internet access.

Edited by atomheartbevo

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This is North Korea but I’m sure NK doesn’t have to boil water

I'm feeling like many of us in Texas should just assume we are under a boil water notice, even if we haven't gotten the notice.  Hell, 33% of the state is under a boil notice, so I feel like a shitload more of us probably should be.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

63 hours now. I’m getting more and more pissed. I’m really really trying to keep cool about it. 

Makes it worse when I know people around have power and our apartment still doesn’t. WHY

Cause you are in an apt complex. More power gets ciphoned off at your location than the surrounding housing. The computers don't know what's there just that it's chewing up more watts than others.

Tl;dr-surly poors get screwed

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Probably already said, but can I shower if there's a boil notice? Ours doesn't specify.

Sure. Arguably you should be conserving but do a quick 3 min shower. I've showered with pails of untreated beaver fever water. Just don't drink it and keep your eyes shut, just in case. (Caveat: I have zero expertise)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Sure. Arguably you should be conserving but do a quick 3 min shower. I've showered with pails of untreated beaver fever water. Just don't drink it and keep your eyes shut, just in case. (Caveat: I have zero expertise)

I just googled "beaver fever" and it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you're like me, you won't have any noticeable issues until you hear rushing water through the pipes.  That's probably too late.

If it’s too late, it’s too late. Team No Drip is sticking with the pass game instead of the run. Unless....the city shuts off water and then we will be Team Turn Off At The Main. We have a meter tool and both husband and I know where and how to do this, having done it before, although I’ll have to locate the pick if it’s iced over. 

Not to CR the DT but some of this came about because it is much easier to destroy institutions and infrastructure than build and maintain. 

I hope we remember that going forward.

14 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

Cause you are in an apt complex. More power gets ciphoned off at your location than the surrounding housing. The computers don't know what's there just that it's chewing up more watts than others.

Tl;dr-surly poors get screwed

Apparently half the building is on a separate circuit. I can see St. David’s South from my balcony and house lights are all on in that direction. This lucky fucks in that part of the building are on the good circuit 

Have an old radio so if power goes off again going to try that science fair deal with lemons we used to do as kids to try and power it. Radio is small enough. 
Haven’t spent much time in my car but it would be nice to have the radio a bit to fall asleep if power goes. So very fortunate to have it now so can’t complain. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Apparently half the building is on a separate circuit. I can see St. David’s South from my balcony and house lights are all on in that direction. This lucky fucks in that part of the building are on the good circuit 

Patients are being evacuated bc they lost water pressure and without the boiler no heat. Scary shit. But my brother is on the RR 620 hospital circuit and has had no power interruptions nor water issues over the past 60 plus hours so I know what you mean.

Sorry you have no power. Hope you will get it soon! 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Have an old radio so if power goes off again going to try that science fair deal with lemons we used to do as kids to try and power it. Radio is small enough. 
Haven’t spent much time in my car but it would be nice to have the radio a bit to fall asleep if power goes. So very fortunate to have it now so can’t complain. 

We had our longest stretch today with an hour and a half on and it was bliss and considering what @ChickenSandwich and @SubliminalHorn are going theough I can’t complain either. We got the house warm enough to take off our caps, which was lovely. 
I’m hopeful that they can bring more people on line with power tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If you haven’t seen or heard from your neighbors, check on them. 

Gave neighbor the rest of my firewood when I retreated and he just happened to check with my other neighbor on way home. Two elderly with no fire or heat. Same for the family with two young ones across the street. We were able to split the logs and pass them out to get everyone through the night. My elderly neighbors would have sat their and died before asking anyone for help. Do it. 

Hope everyone else stays safe. 

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

All these Beaver jokes and nothing about dams? It’s to be expected in this thread though. We are dealing with some serious shit here. Laughter is how I get through the bad stuff. I thought I was fresh out earlier but haven’t lost my sense of humor yet. 

You mean like dental dams?

• Haha 2