Stand with Sophie

workswithseed

https://heavy.com/news/2020/08/stand-with-sophie/

"Stand With Sophie is a GoFundMe campaign for a 9-year-old Frisco, Texas girl, Sophie Long, which went viral across the U.S. The campaign centers on a family court case involving Sophie’s parents and features an upsetting nearly 20-minute video of the child pleading with adults for help, alleging that she has suffered abuse at her mother’s home and refusing to leave the vehicle during a custody exchange. Thousands of people online are getting involved in the case and reaching out to officials.

The GoFundMe campaign, which has been verified by the platform and is organized by Sophie’s stepmother, was posted on August 21 and has already raised over $50,000, doubling its target of $25,000. The story has created a movement, Stand With Sophie, that’s flooding the social media platform TikTok, where a video of Sophie pleading that she doesn’t want to leave her father has gained nearly a million views.

The Frisco Police Department, where there is an open investigation, posted a statement to Twitter confirming that Sophie is in a “safe location” and urging the public to stop sharing false information and speculation online."

This is the judge who is presiding over the case.

Here's the video of Sophie.

Can you recap the 20 minute video? From a quick glance of a few seconds, it appears something is wrong but it could range from abuse to a child with emotional or developmental issues as well. Every accusation of abuse should definitely be fully investigated and addressed but it also doesn't make it true.

In my family, I've seen false accusations from a kid because the child is spoiled and isn't getting their way. Not the level of the police getting involved but it was ugly.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Every accusation of abuse should definitely be fully investigated and addressed but it also doesn't make it true.

In my family, I've seen false accusations from a kid because the child is spoiled and isn't getting their way. Not the level of the police getting involved but it was ugly.

These.  Absolutely investigate it.  But you would be amazed by the drama and shit that a child can display, particularly a child that is emotionally disturbed etc.  I sure as shit wouldn't make a long-term legal decision based on a single video of a child's outburst.  I wouldn't ignore it - it should be investigated.  But that video doesn't even come close to giving anyone enough information to make a legal decision.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

And this thread should be deleted as it's only adding to online speculation involving a young child. 

Yep.  You can't really take any isolated thing in a family case at face value.  All of these outsiders throwing their worthless opinions in it, are, well, worthless.