You's Fancy Pants...All o' Yuz (30 Years)

Guest Lobo

Released 30 years ago this week, "Miller's Crossing."  Not the best Coen Bros. movie, not the funniest Coen Bros. movie, not my favorite Coen Bros. movie.  

But..."Look in your heart", it is the most beautiful Coen Bros. movie.  And that's saying something.  

Launched a lot of careers, including that of Longhorn Great and Academy Award Winner-Marcia Gay Harden.

Great film to watch over a lazy holiday weekend.  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Released 30 years ago this week, "Miller's Crossing."  Not the best Coen Bros. movie, not the funniest Coen Bros. movie, not my favorite Coen Bros. movie.  

But..."Look in your heart", it is the most beautiful Coen Bros. movie.  And that's saying something.  

Launched a lot of careers, including that of Longhorn Great and Academy Award Winner-Marcia Gay Harden.

Great film to watch over a lazy holiday weekend.  

Available on the Starz app. I know what I'm watching after the Rockets game tonight. 

My favorite Coen brothers movie and I think it’s damn near perfect. There, I said it 

I can see that. If Fargo and Lebowski weren’t so perfect, I would agree. The Coen Brothers catalogue is unreal. Gabriel Byrne is a bad ass as Tom Reagan. The score and cinematography are outstanding.

I know this isn't the right way to judge a film, but another reason "Miller's Crossing" is, as I said in the OP, not the best but the most beautiful Coen Brothers film to me...is because it comes on the heels of "Raising Arizona"...which to me, and for all of eternity, will be tied with "The Big Lebowski" for funniest Coen Brothers film of all time. 

Anyway, they do "Raising Arizona" in 1987, they're big coming out was this absurdist, black comedy film, that turned the way you stylistically direct comedies on its head.  And then they hunker down for almost three years to write "Miller's Crossing."  A complete departure from their previous work.  Everything from the color palate, to the scoring/soundtrack, to the dialogue, to the casting methodology for the secondary characters, and it's even the cinematography career peak for Barry Sonnenfield.  The mood in the film is so uncharacteristically flatline for the Coen Brothers.  Despite the volatile arcs, the atmosphere of the movie does not actually change all that much.  However, for the viewer, you are berated down and lifted high so many times...over and over again in such a beautifully subtle way.  It's a story of life that never hits you over the head with it.  But you're as emotionally vested in this movie as any other tale of morality, none of which are as furtively cultivated as "Miller's Crossing."  

If you ever get the chance, watch "Raising Arizona" and "Miller's Crossing" back-to-back, as the Coen Brothers intended.  It's quite a ride.