Trump shits all over the troops again

JimmyJames

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So why isn't it done? Trump has issued EOs for everything, legality be damned. Why not this?

It’s the first time I’ve seen the idea floated publicly by anyone with any influence with Trump. I guess we’ll see.  Or not. 

• Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This would be an incredible idea. Which means it will never happen. To even have someone like DTJr suggest it is pretty amazing. If you applied something similar across all branches of government it would be nice first step in actually “DrAiNinG tHe SwAmP”. 

How about we put him and Eric on a plane with their bitch ass dad and send them to Iraq or Afghanistan.  That whole family needs to shit the fuck up about anything related to the military.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I guess i’ll have to disagree. If there was no influence or advantage to be gained by having James Mattis on the Board of General Dynamics then I don’t think he’d be on there. It’s a multi billion dollar company. They don’t just give out Board seats. 

I think it would address the revolving door in the military.

The bigger beast would be the financial sector. People like Mnuchin or Eric Holder, or Tim Geithner are already corrupted before they come into government positions. But if you could limit their options going back out maybe they don’t sign up in the first place. 

A field grade military officer brings something to the board of a defense contractor, or really any corporation.  They are probably better managers than most managers in Fortune 500 companies.

And it's good PR with the military.

There's no revolving door in the military among field and line grade officers.  It takes an entire career to achieve that kind of rank.

Regardless, it sure as fuck isn't going to keep us out of wars.  That has more to do with politicians than generals and contractors.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Clue:  Donald Trump doesn't want to put an end to "endless wars".  It's a catchphrase with no teeth, designed to draw in the idiots among us.

PS:  Junior was clearly home-schooled on the English language.

Counterpoint, from a far right outlet  

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

i can't even...

yes, i'm a sucker trying to have a discussion on social media with someone about this.

i post links with facts. the retort is 'my links are biased' (cnn, reuters). i point out the ACTUAL FACT can be verified by historical record, e.g., there is historical PROOF that Obama signed Veterans Choice in 2014 and CNN has nothing to do with it.

response verbatim "I’m not disputing what you are saying is a “fact”, I am saying that nothing speaks more truth then those that live it."

these people are gone. lost. 😐

some time during the Obama years we lost a large chunk of society into a new religious state. trump is the soulless bastard that can graduate them forward. only trump - nothing else matters. the chasm is crossed and all channels are down. 

in some 100 years there will be new disorders named after this period in time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Everyone on the right is talking around the main issue.  It's really hard to refute that this POS said those words.  He should be hung for treason - not for these words but for the many negligent acts including not going after Russia for putting a bounty on American soldiers.  Unacceptable on every level.  

I've actually avoided this thread because it's another level of infuriating.  That's saying something when discussing this fat POS's administration.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Ask Obama. 

*Note that this is not intended as a both sides thing.  Just a simple reality based thing. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Pandemic related traumatic stress disorder.

Russia-related delusional disorder.

Those two are at the top of my list of candidates. 

You should probably name your disorder while you're at it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not that great an idea.  Those are all board of director spots.  It's not like they're out there directly soliciting the DoD.

Lower grade procurement officers are probably more dangerous at defense contractors,

Agree. It's been my experience that most of the shenanigans occur at this level. Regarding a revolving door, it's pretty common to see a Col/Lt. Col retire and show as a member of a Defense company the following month because of their institutional contacts deal with the ins and outs of procurement on a daily basis. You don't really see this with Generals.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Ask Obama. 

*Note that this is not intended as a both sides thing.  Just a simple reality based thing. 

Are you saying Trump couldn't unilaterally pull all of our troops off the lines tomorrow?

You know, like he did in Syria, in order to make way for his buddy Putin?

Come on.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I concede to you that he doesn't want to. 

But I am not sure it really solely matters what the executive wants.

I'm not arguing that the whole system isn't grotesque, bloated, and damn close to evil, but as far as "stopping wars" goes, Trump has already proven that the executive has the power to do what "it" wants.  Or, at the very least, the legislative branch does not have the stones to stop him, one way or the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

How many consecutive presidential elections have we had with at least one candidate promising to bring the troops home from afghanistan and/or iraq?  4?  For how many more will the streak be extended?

Exactly.  All rhetoric. From...ah fuckit...

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

WTF?  His father, and your cult leader, is Commander in Chief of the military.  If he wanted them to be out of Afghanistan by Wednesday, they would have been out by Wednesday.  What is this nonsense?

Tomorrow is the day that Donald Trump finally becomes president?

• Hook 'Em 1

We're leaving Afghanistan in two weeks.  You hear me?  TWO WEEKS! 

Health care plan, Covid-19 response, and Draining the Swamp.  TWO WEEKS!  Stay tuned.

Although, shit...to be fair.  Maybe Trump has a bye weekend in there somewhere.  Okay, fine.  THREE WEEKS!  

9 hours ago, F250 said:

Agree. It's been my experience that most of the shenanigans occur at this level. Regarding a revolving door, it's pretty common to see a Col/Lt. Col retire and show as a member of a Defense company the following month because of their institutional contacts deal with the ins and outs of procurement on a daily basis. You don't really see this with Generals.

I probably should have said general officers, which would include admirals.  I suppose field and line grade dip into the colonels and captains.

There are likely some generals and admirals from procurement areas that could be pretty "dangerous," as well, but they aren't the glamorous ones for the BoD.

I suppose a lobbyist or executive could drag along a four or five star from the BoD to some event to wow congressmen, but I don't imagine it's all that common.

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I personally can't fucking wait for all the American military pull back gonna happen Jan 2021 under Biden. 

Just like Guantanamo. 

Gitmo is still open because of Congressional republicans throwing a fit about moving any detainees to prisons in America. Obama actually did try to close it and expended serious political capital trying to do so, and the military doesn’t really have any real desire to keep it open today. It’s still open because of the GOP.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

WTF?  His father, and your cult leader, is Commander in Chief of the military.  If he wanted them to be out of Afghanistan by Wednesday, they would have been out by Wednesday.  What is this nonsense?

Cut the President some slack, he's been extremely busy finalizing his healthcare plan.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

This would be an incredible idea. Which means it will never happen. To even have someone like DTJr suggest it is pretty amazing. If you applied something similar across all branches of government it would be nice first step in actually “DrAiNinG tHe SwAmP”.  (Actually a quote of GR Horn)

"Would be" an incredible idea? Ever hear of Eisenhower's warning about the Military Industrial Complex? Books have been written about this for decades. Movies have been made about it.

Amazed that Don Jr. "suggested" it? It's amazing that it seems new to anyone. Or maybe somebody's just trying to pump up the next in line to the throne.

Don Jr. is an idiot. A worthless, malignant one.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Gitmo is still open because of Congressional republicans throwing a fit about moving any detainees to prisons in America. Obama actually did try to close it and expended serious political capital trying to do so, and the military doesn’t really have any real desire to keep it open today. It’s still open because of the GOP.

I don't disagree with any of that. But would just add to that that the spending authorizations that handcuffed Obama were passed with bipartisan majority, like 90-10 in the senate.  I agree that Guantanamo was a good political stick for the GOP though, and they swung it a lot. Remember that Republican that won the Senate seat in Mass?

The point of the example was not a "but Obama!", it was that this notion that things involving the Pentagon are as easy as the stroke of the pen for a CiC doesn't reflect reality. The same mechanisms used to tie obama's hands wrt gitmo are being used to handcuff withdrawal from Afghanistan and the draw down from bases in Europe. There is of course also the matter of Trump's basic lack of competency, and his inability to out maneuver the Pentagon and his own administration on the topic, which only further destines whatever he does want unachievable.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Funny story about Gitmo: my 1L Federal Civ Pro professor was a former attorney for the military and "spent a lot of time at Gitmo".  He swears to this day that not one person was tortured at Gitmo.  This dude also saw Abe Lincoln as a traitor and made sure to drive around in his diesel truck Earth Day because it is all a lie anyways.  Probably the worst professor I had in law school.