Trump shits all over the troops again

JimmyJames

Shhhh.  Don't talk so loud.  You might ruin my street cred as a dogmatic libertarian boogeyman. 
Your proposal is good. It is something that Dems would support. Republicans will not, however. Lost in the "patriot" and military support rhetoric is that Republicans don't give a shit about people. Troops are the factory floor workers to them. Easily replaceable cheap labor. They raise the military budget so the money can go into the hands of C level people at defense contractors. Its trickle down with a government twist. The fact that they throw supposed blank checks at the military while gutting the VA should tell you all you need to know.

While you claim to be libertarian, when you actually propose policy changes, your suggested changes usually lean progressive. Meanwhile, you are a Trump enabler as an alleged fence sitter. If you are truly anti-police state, and wish to scale back our military footprint while supporting veterans you should be voting on the left side of Dems.

Perhaps there is a simple explanation for your seeming disconnect. Your industry is first in line for progressive reform and you don't want that to happen even if you support progressive reform elsewhere. You are a smart guy though. I think you would figure out how to carry on largely uninterrupted by medicare for all.

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Your industry is first in line for progressive reform and you don't want that to happen even if you support progressive reform elsewhere.

As one who engages with Anastasis on pharma issues on a fairly regular basis, I'd say he's pretty open to reform in that area.  Although perhaps some of it is blame-shifting onto the patent system and the FDA.

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My beloved's father was combat Marine in the Pacific. He died last May. Great guy. Joe.

At the first dinner I had with him, I asked about his time. He landed at Nagasaki when US forces were taking possession of the Japanese Islands. He was designated an Atomic Veteran for this. He spoke of the eeriness of coming into port and seeing no people as the Japanese had been ordered to stay inside.

His group walked through the silent port which showed no damage from the blast. Something caught his eye. Vague movement on one of the Japanese ships docked at the quay. He thought he was looking at scarecrows rustling in the breeze. As the Marines got closer, they could hear faint voices.

This is where Joe broke down as he told the story. The thin, frail scarecrows were captive American soldiers celebrating and trying to get the attention of the Marine patrol. It broke his heart to see them so terribly reduced by their ordeal but still showing life and relief.

The video above reminded me of that. 

I don't advocate particularly cruel punishments. In Trump's case, maybe we should recreate the Hanoi HIlton, The River Kwai, Andersonville, or a Nazi camp. 

Or put him in a cage and drown him with his wicked cabal. He now daily speaks like an actual enemy of the US. He's acted in such a way for four years. He's done more damage than any enemy soldier other than maybe Robert E Lee.

It's so crazy to think how young these guys were when witnessing stuff like this. Some 19-year-olds look like children to me now. 

My great grandfather was in Saipan and saw the women jumping off cliffs, some while holding their children, because they thought Americans were sub humans who ate children. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes, although I guess the same could easily be said for Trump, especially recently.  But can you sit there and say you think Biden hasn’t dropped dramatically (Mental capacity, gaffes) since 08-16?   It happens.  Fuck, look how fast 41 crashed the last few years.  It’s what happens when we rely on 75 year olds to lead our country (wtf)

I don’t fault anyone for voting for Biden. I could be wrong because I don’t follow him closely, he’s not my flavor, but he seems to be a means to an end candidate, in this cycle at least. He strikes me as someone who just kinda goes with the flow. Which is fine, I guess.  we are living the alternative, where one man gets on a mission, his view of how the country should be.  If his mission isn’t for the country, but himself, well here we are.  If his health fades, KH doesn’t seem like she’d ruin the country or anything, so there’s that. 

I also don’t think Trump speaks for the R party. I think he’s on his own fucking mission, and for whatever reason, people has attached themselves to his nuts. I don’t understand it.  I mean you can’t drop him while he the incumbent, and I guess being in power > what’s good for the country to some.  I don’t know, politics have changed so drastically in the last few years I don’t know what to think sometimes and can’t barely keep up.  

Pretty fucked up spot for those of us who literally are mostly right down the middle.  I hope I’m wrong, but I think those days are gone. Going to be extreme ends taking turns until we don’t resemble what we once were.  Out on the ledge with Brisket. 

Good post. I like Biden more than you do, but the post is solid. 

I lost my grip on US politics over the course of a few events: Ollie North being heroized; W getting a second term; and Donald Trump being a major party nominee. I was actually pretty far gone before Trump, but it just keeps getting worse. 

I have no idea what's going to happen. Even when something good happens, it's usually for the wrong reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

While you claim to be libertarian, when you actually propose policy changes, your suggested changes usually lean progressive.

I have political beliefs that incorporate aspects of a variety of different ideologies.  You can go back and read the healthcare policy threads for some examples in the context of this particular policy discussion. But you don't actually put in that effort, you just crutch on your boogeyman. 

Health care for veterans is part of the contract that they make with the government when they sign their name on the line. Comprehensive mental health care should not only be part of fulfilling that contract, it is the right thing to do for the men and women who served and carry scars we don't see. That is not libertarian, or progressive, democratic, or republican.  It's basic common sense and human decency. You tell me that the GOP is lacking in that?  Great, I agree. You tell me that the left wing of the Democratic party is going to change fundamental aspects of our foreign policy posture and the police state?  Great, let's see it. Hope and Change Part II, Electric Boogaloo. 

Don't try to put me on your couch Fondren. If you want to talk about health care policy, and what I think about the impacts various plans would have generally on our healthcare system, or very specifically on what it is that I do, I am happy to do so.  There are lots of threads for that. We've already plowed the ground. Go find one and bump it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:
1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:
I’m at a loss to understanding how the trump campaign and their Russian backers think this line of attack this is gonna work? Is it all they got? 

It has gotten more legs because of people like Joe Rogan who spread a milder version of q anon nonsense.

Shit like this is why in the Rogan discussion on this website I said he's betrayed his former stated goal of the podcast and has become a political hack selling bad information. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Trump is a full blown coward who was able to buy his way out of everything in his life that didn’t benefit him personally. How any Republican, who claim to be so Pro America and Pro Military, could vote for this ass whip and his selfish, self-centered and coward thinking is beyond me. He’s been a catastrophe as President. Huge mistake for the sanity and future of our country. 

6 minutes ago, Chooky said:

It's so crazy to think how young these guys were when witnessing stuff like this. Some 19-year-olds look like children to me now. 

My great grandfather was in Saipan and saw the women jumping off cliffs, some while holding their children, because they thought Americans were sub humans who ate children. 

Joe was in Saipan and Tinian. He saw the same things although I only heard those stories second hand. He was in military intelligence. He would spend time at, I suppose, HQ until the time for combat came. He and his collegues took up their rifles and joined line units to fight and collect whatever might be related to intelligence.

He gave me a copy of  With the Old Breed which is the basis for much of the content in HBO's the Pacific. It's a fabulous first hand account. I can't recommend it enough. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As one who engages with Anastasis on pharma issues on a fairly regular basis, I'd say he's pretty open to reform in that area.  Although perhaps some of it is blame-shifting onto the patent system and the FDA.

I've learned a lot from you in those exchanges.  I am open to broad reforms.  I have outlined some specific ideas that balance government backstops with market driven decision making and pricing transparency, as well as reform of the bureaucracy and pharma gamesmanship.  But some people just need their straw men. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Joe was in Saipan and Tinian. He saw the same things although I only heard those stories second hand. He was in military intelligence. He would spend time at, I suppose, HQ until the time for combat came. He and his collegues took up their rifles and joined line units to fight and collect whatever might be related to intelligence.

He gave me a copy of  With the Old Breed which is the basis for much of the content in HBO's the Pacific. It's a fabulous first hand account. I can't recommend it enough. 

Wow. My great grandfather was also in Tinian. So strange to wonder how many of our ancestors crossed paths in places like the Mariana Islands. I'll definitely find a copy of 'With the Old Breed.'

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Wow. My great grandfather was also in Tinian. So strange to wonder how many of our ancestors crossed paths in places like the Mariana Islands. I'll definitely find a copy of 'With the Old Breed.'

I bet they were in the same division. I can't remember Joe's. He was loaned to one division and then returned to his original. Third and Fifth? 

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I have political beliefs that incorporate aspects of a variety of different ideologies.  You can go back and read the healthcare policy threads for some examples in the context of this particular policy discussion. But you don't actually put in that effort, you just crutch on your boogeyman. 

Health care for veterans is part of the contract that they make with the government when they sign their name on the line. Comprehensive mental health care should not only be part of fulfilling that contract, it is the right thing to do for the men and women who served and carry scars we don't see. That is not libertarian, or progressive, democratic, or republican.  It's basic common sense and human decency. You tell me that the GOP is lacking in that?  Great, I agree. You tell me that the left wing of the Democratic party is going to change fundamental aspects of our foreign policy posture and the police state?  Great, let's see it. Hope and Change Part II, Electric Boogaloo. 

Don't try to put me on your couch Fondren. If you want to talk about health care policy, and what I think about the impacts various plans would have generally on our healthcare system, or very specifically on what it is that I do, I am happy to do so.  There are lots of threads for that. We've already plowed the ground. Go find one and bump it. 

I honestly don't really care about your faux libertarian leanings. I'm just pointing out that you are normally progressive when you espouse a policy position. 

The left wing of the Dem party will absolutely change it.  But in order for us to "see it", they need to take control of the party when the party has a majority.  There is still a ways to go for that, but while you are fence sitting between Biden and Trump, perhaps you should be voting for Bernie-ists instead.  Then we can "see it."  Instead, I imagine you're voting for GOP anti-gov't types when you vote for your representatives.

I guess you still don't get why people attack you.  It isn't because you're a libertarian "bogeyman."  If you were a principled libertarian, people would respect that position.  Its because you're a fence sitter who asserts the false equivalence that "both sides" are the same.  Many people find Switzerland's position in WW2 to be despicable as well.  If you are neutral to evil, then you are evil as well.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

holy shit, I peeked at reddit for bit this morning.  r/military,  r/army, etc.  They aren't very fond of Trump over there.

So, for a little counterprogramming, I'm gonna head to texags to see what kind of gymnastics they are up to. 

You can't claim PTSD from willfully going there.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

holy shit, I peeked at reddit for bit this morning.  r/military,  r/army, etc.  They aren't very fond of Trump over there.

So, for a little counterprogramming, I'm gonna head to texags to see what kind of gymnastics they are up to. 

You’re a masochist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My grandfather was at Tinian as well. He’s still with us at 96, but I don’t know for how much longer. I have no idea about his politics, but I would hope he is aware of the dotard’s disrespect. 

24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Shit like this is why in the Rogan discussion on this website I said he's betrayed his former stated goal of the podcast and has become a political hack selling bad information. 

Of course he is a hack.  He feigned support for Bernie, 78.  Now he supports Trump, 74, because Biden is too old, 77.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The sad irony of the left wing "seizing control of the Democratic party" is that the current left is the old middle.  The Overton Window has moved far to the right and the United States is paying the price.

It appears that way, but this is because the GOP, and even moreso the TrumpOP, has gotten impoverished rural voters to vote against their own interests for quite a while, first under the guise of "social conservatism" and now using blame shifting tactics like ethnonationalism, anti-immigration rhetoric, and anti-education rhetoric.

People's views on social issues have clearly shifted left which may have necessitated the GOP's move from reliance on those issues to blame-shifting.

The reality is that Trump got a lot of white rural voters because he promised to bring back the factory and bring back jobs to their communities.  It is impossible for right wing ideals to deliver on that promise.  But left wing ideals can actually make it happen.  So I guess we have to look at the true reasoning for why a white formerly middle class but struggling blue collar worker voted for Trump.  If he voted for him because he truly desired a white nation, then sure, that voter moved right.  But if he voted for Trump because he believed Trump's promise to bring back prosperity to his community, then its possible that voter actually moved left in his vote for Trump.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I honestly don't really care about your faux libertarian leanings. I'm just pointing out that you are normally progressive when you espouse a policy position. 

Feel free to go bump any of those policy discussions and I would be happy to engage this further. We can peg the various aspects on the political spectrum.  You seemed really concerned with applying labels.  If you consider some aspects progressive, I don't really have a problem with that.  I've never claimed to be a dogmatic libertarian. In fact, exactly the opposite explicitly.     

27 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Its because you're a fence sitter who asserts the false equivalence that "both sides" are the same.

That's not actually true and a straw man.  In fact I have numerous times indicated both explicitly and implicitly that at this moment in time there are meaningful qualitative differences. In the very last post I said that the Republicans lack common sense and human decency.  If you want to get butt hurt because I am done engaging this fucked up dysfunctional two party system that has been sending our country on a tightening political death spiral for the last 40 or so years, that's fine.  But you don't have to misrepresent it. 

Edited by Anastasis

17 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

My uncle was one of those living skeletons the Marines found in Tokyo.  His carrier based bomber was kamikazied out of the sky off Iwo Jima.  He survived bailing out into the ocean only to be picked up by the enemy.  He survived torture, beri beri, malnutrition.  He saw the beheading of randomly selected fellow prisoners, American officers.  He returned to Japan after the war to testify on behalf of guards who were kind to prisoners.  He was one of the coolest, smartest people I ever knew.   I had the honor of attending his inurnment at Arlington a few years ago.  Donald Trump is not worthy of speaking his name.

A dear friend of mine, who passed this past year, was also a POW.  
The stories he told me made my skin crawl.

Here he is:

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Feel free to go bump any of those policy discussions and I would be happy to engage this further. We can peg the various aspects on the political spectrum.  You seemed really concerned with applying labels.  If you consider some aspects progressive, I don't really have a problem with that.    

That's not actually true and a straw man.  In fact I have numerous times indicated both explicitly and implicitly that at this moment in time there are meaningful qualitative differences. In the very last post I said that the Republicans lack common sense and human decency.  If you want to get butt hurt because I am done engaging this fucked up dysfunctional two party system that has been sending our country on a tightening political death spiral for the last 40 or so years, that's fine.  But you don't have to misrepresent it. 

I apply labels? Hmm.  More accurately I attack labels.

This is your statement " You might ruin my street cred as a dogmatic libertarian boogeyman"

Regardless, I agree that the 2 party system sucks.  But right now, it is what it is.  And your actions, or inactions, result in us getting the worst of our 2 choices.  And if you actually want more than 2 choices, you are first going to have to vote for the choice among the current 2 who is willing to open the door to other parties by implementing things like ranked choice voting.  Which candidates with a chance of winning an election support ranked choice voting?  And this is far more important in local, Senate, and House races.  So while you vote for a libertarian and cry while a moderate Dem or nutbar Rep win your district, you could have been voting for someone who supports enfranchisement.  Lucky for you, those same candidates also support your ideals on the police state and on the military, if not most other things.

And also, your deflection is not entirely true.  Like you are deflecting here, you also are a deflection machine when it comes to anyone trying to uncover Trump's illegal activities.  

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I apply labels? Hmm.  More accurately I attack labels.

This is your statement " You might ruin my street cred as a dogmatic libertarian boogeyman"

I was mocking the people that try to pigeon hole me as a dogmatic anarcho-libertarian. But good for you jumping into the mix. You seem really concerned about pointing out the progressive nature of some of my policy positions (although you don't actually engage in any specifics, just vague window framing). I got no problem with that, it would just be a better exchange if we actually dug into something specific.

31 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Regardless, I agree that the 2 party system sucks.  But right now, it is what it is.  And your actions, or inactions, result in us getting the worst of our 2 choices. 

That didn't have anything to do with me.  One party's brain dead base consolidated around a con man.  The other party's establishment consolidated around an establishment candidate to marginalize an insurgent progressive.  Forced decision, shitty outcome. They did that in 2016 and it worked so well that they figure, hey, let's try it again in 2020. For somebody who appears to align with a progressive take over, you keep running back to the same institution that pulls the rug out from under your movement time after time when the top line position is on the line.  Not only running back, but now actively evangelizing.

Edited by Anastasis
too much

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Trump is a full blown coward who was able to buy his way out of everything in his life that didn’t benefit him personally. How any Republican, who claim to be so Pro America and Pro Military, could vote for this ass whip and his selfish, self-centered and coward thinking is beyond me. He’s been a catastrophe as President. Huge mistake for the sanity and future of our country. 

118538666_3205699359525479_1415099006422667564_n.jpg.bf7acb9180a9e19b10e4b55cfdcede35.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I was mocking the people that try to pigeon hole me as a dogmatic anarcho-libertarian. But good for you jumping into the mix. You seem really concerned about pointing out the progressive nature of some of my policy positions (although you don't actually engage in any specifics, just vague window framing). I got no problem with that, it would just be a better exchange if we actually dug into something specific.

That didn't have anything to do with me.  One party's brain dead base consolidated around a con man.  The other party's establishment consolidated around an establishment candidate to marginalize an insurgent progressive.  Forced decision, shitty outcome. They did that in 2016 and it worked so well that they figure, hey, let's try it again in 2020. For somebody who appears to align with a progressive take over, you keep running back to the same institution that pulls the rug out from under your movement time after time when the top line position is on the line.  Not only running back, but now actively evangelizing.

tenor-2.gif.75e1de1d3cd6f77b6f636a3937ca8b32.gif

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Do you want this thread going to only abortion, cause that's how you do it.

Just an aside, but if y'all want to read some first person accounts/stories, read Studs Terkel's book about World War II, "The Good War: an Oral History of World War II"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I believe the saying is "fuck your feelings".  

Yup. Look at the bottom left tidbit about Rep. Brady.  Biden never dreamed of an economy that gained 1.4 million jobs in one month. 

It's Fuck You Tone Deafness of an astounding order. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

With the Old Breed should be a must read for anyone with a relative who fought in WWII. My father was 1st. Division Marine the subject of this book.  He was one of the few who survived both Peleliu and Okinawa.  Four thousand of his buddies lost their lives.  Volunteers.  Dad never talked about his experience.  After reading through this book, page after page filled with my tears, I understood why.  He died at age 91.  When he was 88, three years before his ultimate battle with leukemia, he could have kicked Donald Trump’s fat ass and would have been happy to do it.

Edited by ruitxn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

I bet they would be so proud that their decendants came together on a c list football board.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

My uncle was one of those living skeletons the Marines found in Tokyo.  His carrier based bomber was kamikazied out of the sky off Iwo Jima.  He survived bailing out into the ocean only to be picked up by the enemy.  He survived torture, beri beri, malnutrition.  He saw the beheading of randomly selected fellow prisoners, American officers.  He returned to Japan after the war to testify on behalf of guards who were kind to prisoners.  He was one of the coolest, smartest people I ever knew.   I had the honor of attending his inurnment at Arlington a few years ago.  Donald Trump is not worthy of speaking his name.

My father was a member of the 1st Defense Battalion on Wake Island.  Captured Dec 22, 1941 and spent the duration in POW camps in China and mainland Japan where he worked as forced labor in the coal mines of Hokkaido.  I’m damn lucky to be here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Granted WWII was an "unambiguous" war.  But every able-bodied man under 40, and a lot over and a lot of disabled, was looking for a way to serve their country.

Trump would have been trying to make a buck.

Hell, my Grandma enlisted in the Navy as a nurse the first day she legally could after jumping on train from Nebraska to New York, catching a Yankees game then hitting enlistment office.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll say it.  His mental acuity hasn't dropped "dramatically" at all.  You are falling for Russian propaganda.  It happens, lots of idiots get taken.

Watch the man speak extemporaneously as he did yesterday in a rage against Trump and tell me he's fucking demented.  Come on.  Tell me he's demented.  That will end all credibility, if you have any left.

Fatty gets trucked by Joe Biden

He didn't say Biden was demented, he said Biden has declined dramatically. "Dramatically" is subjective, of course, but anyone claiming there is no decline from '08-'16 is not being honest. 

Put all the politics aside and imagine Joe Biden in 2022 with no evil Republican opponent standing opposite him... will you or anyone else sincerely argue that the man has not declined and the only point of contention is the adverb attached to it?

Better than Trump, sure yes that's a given even to the board conservatives, but eventually Trump isn't there anymore and if we'll lie for a big reason you'll lie for a small one.

• Hook 'Em 1

This story breaking has caused my Marine veteran buddy and his (casual) Trump-supporting wife to completely turn against Trump (Mattis was his General, so he already wasn't a fan before all this happened) and it's causing a hilarious divide between he and his older brother, who is full-blown TexAgs-grade redpilled. July 4th weekend, his brother started going off on Mattis for being a "traitor" to Trump and they almost got in a fist fight. Since this story broke, he won't return any of our texts and has declined to hang out and BBQ this weekend.

Should be noted that his brother has two kids, no car, no job, and currently lives with their parents. His mom had to go full Bob and ban all political talk in the house because he just won't shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This story breaking has caused my Marine veteran buddy and his (casual) Trump-supporting wife to completely turn against Trump (Mattis was his General, so he already wasn't a fan before all this happened) and it's causing a hilarious divide between he and his older brother, who is full-blown TexAgs-grade redpilled. July 4th weekend, his brother started going off on Mattis for being a "traitor" to Trump and they almost got in a fist fight. Since this story broke, he won't return any of our texts and has declined to hang out and BBQ this weekend.

Should be noted that his brother has two kids, no car, no job, and currently lives with their parents. His mom had to go full Bob and ban all political talk in the house because he just won't shut the fuck up.

Sounds like he and my sister should hang out and alienate literally everyone in their lives together.

I'm pretty sure she's among the boat masses on Lake Travis about now.

Post-Trump familial reconciliations are going to be a sight to behold.

• Haha 1