Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

shadow_operative

I had an SNES, didn't have a Playstation or N64, and then had a PS2. It's remarkable how... I'm trying to remember some of these THPS1 levels, and then THPS2 I'm trying to remember the goals for the hangar even as I'm executing a perfect run to nosegrind over the pipe, get into the secret half pipe area, knock over the barrels, launch the helicopter, etc

Picked it up last night and it's great! I'm getting frustrated a bit because I used to know where each collectible in each level was, but I'm having trouble remembering their locations now. Also, I'm definitely not as good at this game as I used to be. Still loads of and and I'm looking forward to being able to complete all the objectives in a level in a single run like I used to be able to on N64.

It really is amazing how great it feels to play again. Despite all the hours as a kid, I’m struggling to remember the collectible locations. As a married man now, I actually appreciate the 2 minute rounds. I can just pick it up for 30 minutes for a time without having to worry about what missions/objectives I was working like most games today.  

Ah I forgot about how to do all those manual tricks, but it came to me watching that video. Also how you can modify brings mid slide by double tapping buttons.
It took me a minute also to remember to revert into a manual to string together vert tricks.

Just got 100% on THPS 2, although I need to figure out what those floating V’s are about. Would love it if they’d dump the thps 3 maps as downloadable content at some point.

I think School II is still my favorite map, although fuck the security guard.

I'm still needing a ton of work to get the revert-to-manual thing down. Probably the biggest thing holding me back from a really major score. And yeah, I have no idea what the floating V things are about.

Also- am I misremembering things, or have they kept all of the levels on THPS2 the same except for Venice Beach? My memory was that Venice Beach had a different layout, and that it took place during the daytime, and not twilight. Or maybe there's a VB on THPS1 that i'm thinking of? Not sure. 

Finally- one of my favorite parts of playing this game back on the original xbox was that you could rip cd's to your xbox and then play your songs as the background music while playing Tony Hawk. Man I wish we could still do that. 

Man I really do want the THPS 3 levels. That skate park with the.... trees was rad, the airport level. Oh shit I forgot that I'm going to get burnside in THPS1...

Obviously I wasn't cool enough to be a skateborder. Here's a picture of me and a buddy at Burnside in 2000. I think we got his mom to take us there at like 8 in the morning so we could skate around without getting our asses kicked. I'm definitely wearing a... Vandals hoodie with the orange stripe. I am the ambassador, I'll fucking kick your asseter.

burnside.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm already addicted to this game again. i totally remember why i spent so many hours playing this game as a kid.

my highest score and highest combo score so far. 

Nice work. One thing I recently learned is that you should be spinning during jumps in between grinding the same rail. You don’t have to begin a grind in any specific orientation to the rail, so before every grind try to do a 180 or 360. As long as you hit the grind button, you won’t fall due to your spin. The added points from rotations add up quick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

This game still kicks ass for the same reasons. I "beat" the game pretty quickly of course, and then statted up several of the other skaters, but then just playing a shit ton of Chicago and Skatestreet doing cool shit. Half the time not even going for big tricks but impossibling over boxes and going halfway up the pipe and then truckstanding down. so much fun. Also, took me way the fuck too long to figure out how to do all the flatland tricks (you can mash down multiple buttons at the same time to get some more of them like the truckstand or the one where you flip the skateboard on its side) and getting to the grab tricks where you have to double tap the O button (like the Christ Air, which was a Rune Glifberg special in the OG if I remember correctly).

• Hook 'Em 1

this is the best run i've done so far, at least rankings wise. when i completed this run i want to say i was ranked 588th overall on the Minneapolis map, which is so sick (for me anyway, lol). i've had plenty of bigger scores, but i've em ever approached being in the top 1,000 of any other map, much less the top 600 where it starts to get very tight for each spot. 

The two coolest parts are A)as you can see, i had just completed a run where i had set a new PR right before breaking that high score (the 2 million point plateau on that map was my holy grail), and B)how, because i jumped out of the bowl on my penultimate combo, i knew that my only chance to get back up there would be to wall ride into that elevated hallway while somehow not going all the way through to the other side, and even then i would have to haul ass to the bowl, do a huge trick, and start my grind combo, and that everything would have to go perfectly. and in this case it did. it was pretty dope. 

without further ado:

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...

been playing this a lot the last few days, trying to actually complete the game. i've gotten all skaters to 100/100 on both tours, with full stats. i then unlocked the Jack Black character, Officer Dick. i'm currently working on completing all challenges for each skater. at first i thought it was going to be something that took me a really long time, but i actually figured out pretty quickly that all i need to do is go to the rooftop bowl in Downtown, equip all four specials unique to each respective player, and then land them all in one big combo right off the bat. you end up knocking out like 7 or 8 challenges in one move of you can pull it off. o don't think i've ever completed a video game before, but i'm looking forward to doing it with this one.

Edited by shadow_operative

• 7 months later...

no update on a new game (hope i didn't get anyone's hopes up, although i'm pretty sure another edition is in the works), but i am bumping this thread because i went back last night and tried some speed runs for the first time in a long time, and while it wasn't perfect, it was pretty damn good. to have only 155 runs that are faster than mine on Mall is pretty sick.

i need to fire this game up again too. I kinda want to get it for switch - anyone played it on that?

after 20 years of this game I still get twisted up whenever I try and land a madonna. I just take it out of my skaters' moves, i always end up landing the wrong way and eating shit.

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i need to fire this game up again too. I kinda want to get it for switch - anyone played it on that?

after 20 years of this game I still get twisted up whenever I try and land a madonna. I just take it out of my skaters' moves, i always end up landing the wrong way and eating shit.

lol same. madonna is like the hardest trick in the entire game. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, hornfan785 said:

This randomly popped up in my suggested YouTube feed. This shit is just crazy!

i watched this, it's insane. i cannot imagine being that good at any video game ever. i can't even explain how he does some of the shit he does, like the amount of air he gets and how he uses wall jumps to just go everywhere. guy is unreal. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...