Can we have a serious thread about "Boaters for Trump"?

Gil Bang

I see all these flags on all these boats and I keep thinking, what the fuck?  I've never seen so many full size "put em on a pole" flags specifically for a politician.  I mean that is a lot of flags.  What the fuck are these people going to do with all these flags when they lose?

Oh....yea right.  

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I see all these flags on all these boats and I keep thinking, what the fuck?  I've never seen so many full size "put em on a pole" flags specifically for a politician.  I mean that is a lot of flags.  

All Obama had was those posters, and even then that was mostly confined to college dorms and apartments.

I did know some that were obsessed with Hillary winning in 2008, that were as full of bitterness/regret/hate/etc. as these Trump fanatics are.

19 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I see all these flags on all these boats and I keep thinking, what the fuck?  I've never seen so many full size "put em on a pole" flags specifically for a politician.  I mean that is a lot of flags.  What the fuck are these people going to do with all these flags when they lose?

Oh....yea right.  

Those flags aint going anywhere. Trump is an industry, losing the election will probably only help the brand

If he holds on to the support he has now and doesn't expand it at all, he loses.  But neither he, his campaign, nor his supporters seem to recognize that.

I always tell my Trumper acquaintances, “the one consistent factor in 2020 election demographics is that the less you are educated, the more you like Trump....how does that make you feel, knowing the more ignorant you are the more likely you are to vote GOP?”

I change no minds but I amuse myself.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Why a four-year gap between each term? Do they assume things will get so bad during each term that the Trump in power will lose re-election? 

Premature Death.  Doesn't so much run in the family...as it sprints.

The reason why there are so many Trump flags is because Trump flags have become a cottage industry. I drove by a Bass Pro Shop recently, and there were multiple vendors in the parking lot, set up like roadside velvet rug vendors, with any and every Trump flag for sale. 

You see, anyone looking to make a quick buck is instantly attracted to the unique Trumpkin mix of gullible, prideful, stupid and impulsive. You literally couldn't draw up a better customer for whom to produce $1.50 flags in China and sell for $40.

The weird/of course part of this is the campaign isn’t taking advantage of these rallies in any productive way.  They aren’t doing sign ups or fundraising off of them.  No email lists or donor bundling. As somebody else noted: the bulk of the pennants and flags are being marketed and sold by private individuals and companies, so the campaign isn’t raising money off the sales.  These are self organized rallies that get local coverage, this should be a fucking gold mine of free media and fundraising.

It’s just completely emblematic of the man and his presidency:  even when something goes right, they fuck it up. 

Edited by Bateshorn

On 9/6/2020 at 6:19 PM, slorch said:

Meh.  Blah. Blah. fucking blah.

That ain't the reason for all of the protests/ demonstrations.  It's the excuse a lot of the shitheads use.

I don't get the Trump boat thing or the people driving around town with Trump shit all over their vehicle.   It doesn't make sense to me.

It isn't hurting anything either though, nor are the boat thingies.  We can't say the same for the somewhat peaceful demonstrations in the past few months.

It's the new Confederate Flag.

Slightly tangential, but I think boaters for Trump is a missed opportunity for OAN to expand its offering to include a MAGA-themed Gilligan’s Island remake.

Thurston Howell III and his wife Lovey will open-carry AR-15s around the island and threaten to shoot anyone coming within 50 yards of their hut.

Gilligan will be an incel that keeps Ginger as a caged sexual concubine because that’s just like his right as an alpha male, man.

The Skipper will establish “Law and Order” by murdering the professor and breaking the radio.

Mary Ann will mostly just sit in her hut, reciting the Lord’s Prayer and “abortion is murder!!’” over and over

The Japanese sailor that still thinks WWII is ongoing will be replaced by caricatures of big-lipped blacks, greasy Hispanics, swarthy middle easterners, hook-nosed jews, diseased chinamen, flaming homosexuals, impassable trans-people, bitchy independent women, malicious doctors, corrupt scientists, snobby coastal elites and liberal college educated professionals that occasionally turn up on the island — unaware that the culture wars are over as far as the islanders are concerned.  

These characters will be killed-off before the end of each episode they appear in after they speak out against some injustice on the island.  A running gag will be a cut after each death to Mary-Ann in her hut where she smiles and delivers some nugget of chicken-fried wisdom like, “The lord works in mysterious ways!” or “You can’t make an omelet without some broken eggs!!” to a canned laugh track.

Eventually, the series will end with the completion of The Wall around the island that will prevent the conservative castaways from ever being rescued.

• Hook 'Em 4

I know everyone is saying "Big boats swamped small boats", but I wonder how many wake boats were running around out there with full ballast tanks? Throw a bunch of boats out there that were designed to throw the largest wake possible at low speeds seems like a recipe for trouble. Also, I wonder how many of the boats that were swamped/sunk were cruising around with full fat sacks? If you're running around with 1,500 extra pounds in the back of your boat, it wouldn't take too many green waves to put you under, I don't think. 

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What are the boating laws regarding speed & wake in proximity to swimmers, etc.?  I'm not a boater, but it seems like these shitheads are putting the paddleboard gals at significant risk.  Can they just go as fast as they want if they're not in a no wake or speed-restricted area?

5f5558dace975.image.jpg?resize=1200,613

The boats have to give right of way (and should slow down, and give a very wide berth),  but if you're on a stretch of water with lots of boat traffic going out on a paddle board probably isn't the smartest move. Somebody should have stopped, and helped those girls get out of the path.

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The boats have to give right of way (and should slow down, and give a very wide berth),  but if you're on a stretch of water with lots of boat traffic going out on a paddle board probably isn't the smartest move. Somebody should have stopped, and helped those girls get out of the path.

Agreed that someone should have helped get them out of the soup, but it's entirely possible that things were calm when they went out.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

agree 100%. Mistakes on both sides but the boats should have gone around. We can't see the entire scene but here the boaters are going around them which puts the paddle boarders in a tough spot. They need to a path to get away and they don't have one. Hopefully as the scene unfolded, the next boaters did a better job.

Boat parades are not an inherently safe event. You don't have as much control of keeping a safe distance. If you slow or stop, someone is going to run up on you.

On a side note, I bet Kenny Powers only has 140 more payments to go and that ride is all his. Boat payments > kids education.

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I know everyone is saying "Big boats swamped small boats", but I wonder how many wake boats were running around out there with full ballast tanks? Throw a bunch of boats out there that were designed to throw the largest wake possible at low speeds seems like a recipe for trouble. Also, I wonder how many of the boats that were swamped/sunk were cruising around with full fat sacks? If you're running around with 1,500 extra pounds in the back of your boat, it wouldn't take too many green waves to put you under, I don't think. 

Probably a combo of all of the above. Wakes need space to dissipate and waves get surprisingly crazy when multiple wakes run into each other.  Probably some crazy wave energy formula explains it. 

And I'm sure that every Trumper near Austin was reaching out to any friend with a boat to see how they could all get on the water.  "You know that boat in your dad's garage that hasn't moved in 10 years. Let's get it out for the Make Libruls Cry parade on Saturday. You don't mind if 5 of my friends come along as well, right?"

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed that someone should have helped get them out of the soup, but it's entirely possible that things were calm when they went out.

Oh yeah.  There are stretches of water along a river we used to water ski on.  At times it's very calm (mornings, late evenings) but once the sun is up a good bit it would be a very different story.  Being in anything other than a peer boat would be a rocky ride.

2 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

Why a four-year gap between each term? Do they assume things will get so bad during each term that the Trump in power will lose re-election? 

It might be that they suck at punctuation and they intend each year listed to be an election won by a Trump and not the duration of a presidency.  Perhaps, if they weren't so fucking stupid it would have read:

Donald: 2016, 2020

Ivanka: 2024, 2028

and so on

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Slightly tangential, but I think boaters for Trump is a missed opportunity for OAN to expand its offering to include a MAGA-themed Gilligan’s Island remake.

Thurston Howell III and his wife Lovey will open-carry AR-15s around the island and threaten to shoot anyone coming within 50 yards of their hut.

Gilligan will be an incel that keeps Ginger as a caged sexual concubine because that’s just like his right as an alpha male, man.

The Skipper will establish “Law and Order” by murdering the professor and breaking the radio.

Mary Ann will mostly just sit in her hut, reciting the Lord’s Prayer and “abortion is murder!!’” over and over

The Japanese sailor that still thinks WWII is ongoing will be replaced by caricatures of big-lipped blacks, greasy Hispanics, swarthy middle easterners, hook-nosed jews, diseased chinamen, flaming homosexuals, impassable trans-people, bitchy independent women, malicious doctors, corrupt scientists, snobby coastal elites and liberal college educated professionals that occasionally turn up on the island — unaware that the culture wars are over as far as the islanders are concerned.  

These characters will be killed-off before the end of each episode they appear in after they speak out against some injustice on the island.  A running gag will be a cut after each death to Mary-Ann in her hut where she smiles and delivers some nugget of chicken-fried wisdom like, “The lord works in mysterious ways!” or “You can’t make an omelet without some broken eggs!!” to a canned laugh track.

Eventually, the series will end with the completion of The Wall around the island that will prevent the conservative castaways from ever being rescued.

Add a scene where Mary Ann gets it on with younger men while Gilligan sits in the corner and watches. Get me a treatment for a pilot and twelve 30-minute episodes. I want this on my desk by the time I open my first bottle of scotch tomorrow morning.

• Haha 2

We were sitting on our dock with some friends yesterday afternoon and a 50-55ish man comes by riding a wave runner and holding a Trump flag in one hand.  He's burning the shoreline around the entire lake and when he got close to us was waving the flag around and acting a fool thinking we would start hooting and hollering.  I'm not sure he was expecting all of us to just stare blankly at him shaking our heads.

Talking with our friends, none of us could think of any political party/school/movement that we ever felt strongly enough about to drag a flag around the lake.  It's seems like such a strange mindset to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Bojack said:

It might be that they suck at punctuation and they intend each year listed to be an election won by a Trump and not the duration of a presidency.  Perhaps, if they weren't so fucking stupid it would have read:

Donald: 2016, 2020

Ivanka: 2024, 2028

and so on

They fixed it:

KAGA Hoodie Red

3 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

We were sitting on our dock with some friends yesterday afternoon and a 50-55ish man comes by riding a wave runner and holding a Trump flag in one hand.  He's burning the shoreline around the entire lake and when he got close to us was waving the flag around and acting a fool thinking we would start hooting and hollering.  I'm not sure he was expecting all of us to just stare blankly at him shaking our heads.

Talking with our friends, none of us could think of any political party/school/movement that we ever felt strongly enough about to drag a flag around the lake.  It's seems like such a strange mindset to me.

It's 100% within the sports mindset. Replace Trump with whatever NFL team the guy never played a down for.

31 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

You should have all mooned him.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

We live in a time when Republicans and Christians (not all, but too many) are batshit ignorant, intentionally so.

How did this happen? 

America is dumb.

I'v run across 2 types of Trump voters.

1. Morons
  2. Intelligent people that just hate Democrats so much they accept Trump. The main characteristic of these people is that they refuse to talk politics and/or defend Trump. Because they cannot and they know they cannot.  They run from the conversation. I will put all of the Republicans in Congress in this category because they all pretend that they never see Trump's twitter feed. "I can't comment on something I haven't read.  Oh you're going to read it to me, I have somewhere else to be."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You should have all mooned him.

I would have laughed, whether on the wave runner or the shore.  that's the kind of political discourse I appreciate.

13 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I did, for the first time, see a Biden flag on a boat this weekend.

The Trump flags have been a mainstay on a lot of boats the last few years.  It never used to be that way.  But the few conservative hotspots like Orange County and San Diego are also hotbeads for the yachtie set.  And hence the flags.  But in the last couple of months, you've started to see more and more Biden flags or "Dump Trump" flags.  A lot more.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

The Trump flags have been a mainstay on a lot of boats the last few years.  It never used to be that way.  But the few conservative hotspots like Orange County and San Diego are also hotbeads for the yachtie set.  And hence the flags.  But in the last couple of months, you've started to see more and more Biden flags or "Dump Trump" flags.  A lot more.

all the flags are fucking stupid.

why on earth would anyone fly a flag about a fucking politician? i mean, i guess i get bumper stickers, even if i would never put one on my car, but a fucking flag? get fucking bent, all flag wavers.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

all the flags are fucking stupid.

why on earth would anyone fly a flag about a fucking politician? i mean, i guess i get bumper stickers, even if i would never put one on my car, but a fucking flag? get fucking bent, all flag wavers.

Trump represents a middle finger to the intellectual class they hate with their entire souls. And minorities.