Can we have a serious thread about "Boaters for Trump"?

Gil Bang

About 90 miles north of San Diego in Santa Ana IIRC, there is a memorial to the original "Boat People," Vietnamese who lost their lives fleeing Vietnam in the late 70s onward. How amazing is it that a country that welcomed (in the not so distant past) immigrants and resettled asylum seekers has an administration that has shut off most ports of entry to immigrants and holds boat parades? Given that so many immigrants' first sight of America was from a boat?

Orange County is home to a rather large Vietnamese-American population. They trend Republican, but the younger generation and American born are changing that somewhat.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

About 90 miles north of San Diego in Santa Ana IIRC, there is a memorial to the original "Boat People," Vietnamese who lost their lives fleeing Vietnam in the late 70s onward. How amazing is it that a country that welcomed (in the not so distant past) immigrants and resettled asylum seekers has an administration that has shut off most ports of entry to immigrants and holds boat parades? Given that so many immigrants' first sight of America was from a boat?

Orange County is home to a rather large Vietnamese-American population. They trend Republican, but the younger generation and American born are changing that somewhat.

Yeah, OC is full of kick-ass Viet coffee shops, where the women are almost naked.   

Cafe Lu is a good example

o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

Tried to post this in another thread today. Something did not work. So again:

Made it out to Pace Bend today to lifeguard for 4 boys 12-14  as they did some serious rock climbing and cliff jumping.

First time I ever saw a boat with a Trump flag this whole summer, and we have probably been cliff jumping/deep water soloing at least 6 times.

Trump vessels seem to be devoid of sporting equipment in the form of skis, tubes, or fishing gear.  They are generally larger and are among the worst offenders for wakes which is not generally a big deal except for rock climbers. I saw 8 Trump boats today by noon.  Lake traffic and wakes got to gnarley after that for any more climbing.

From what I saw, they just want to be seen doing Trump stuff and not actually enjoying the lake like normal people doing lake stuff.

Will try to follow with a cool pic or two of climbing to rescue thread.

Not boats, but I've been going into Boerne from SA every Saturday to do some coaching. Looks like these folks are celebrating each other and their big flags EVERY Saturday until the election.  First weekend I thought, "oh okay, it's Boerne. Makes sense". Now they are just screwing up traffic and being annoying. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, the Lake Travis disaster is over.  Today, in San Diego Bay, about 1000 boats are expected to participate in another dotard boat parade.

Exactly what the fuck is going on here?    People that own boats are "showing their support" for the fat fuck, but what does that accomplish?   Is it just a matter of being with other like-minded dipshits?   

If you really support Trump, wouldn't your time be better spent working a phone bank, or knocking on doors?   Taking the 20 or 100 bucks (depending on boat size) that you'll burn in gas and donating to the campaign?  

Do these people believe that they are going to attract voters by having a boat parade? 

I don't get the psychology here.   

No, we can't have a serious discussion.  I'd rather OD on 180 proof Schadenfruede. 

San Diego is rad. It's hard to live in San Diego proper and I read that SD has the fastest "reverse movement" of the demographic of 21-34, in that the age group is actually moving out of SD at a rapid pace more than any other metro. Something about the cost of living and real estate cost versus jobs. So if that is the case, and it's already a bit red/conservative, and you have older/monied people, you have a recipe for a Mira Lago- West Coast version?

No. 

Not curious. Opposite of curious.

More like I GODDAMN GET YOU BECAUSE I'VE READ YOUR FUCKING SOLO DEBATE CHAMPION OPINIONS AND DEATH THREATS ON THE BACK OF YOUR PICK UP TRUCK'S REAR WINDSHIELD FOR TWO DECADES AND THE PROBLEM ISN'T THAT NO ONE GETS YOU OR ISN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO YOU OR UNDERSTANDS YOU. IT'S THAT EVERYONE EXCEPT YOU REALIZES YOU'LL NEVER BE SATISFIED BECAUSE YOU MAKE SHIT CHOICES AND NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE, LEADING TO MORE SHIT CHOICES. Everyone is aware of your sentiments, and considering you've gotten most of what you wanted since the Reagan Revolution, whatever part of mundane convenience store America you wanna present as some exotic, unknown land ignored by the coastal elites (one of which you worship) increasingly falls on deaf ears.

(not necessarily aimed at you Ana, but at the absurd notion of curiosity of the hyper-monotonous)

America does not need another Honey Boo Boo shoved down its throat.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

No. 

More like I GODDAMN GET YOU BECAUSE I'VE READ YOUR FUCKING SOLO DEBATE CHAMPION OPINIONS AND DEATH THREATS ON THE BACK OF YOUR PICK UP TRUCK'S REAR WINDSHIELD FOR TWO DECADES AND THE PROBLEM ISN'T THAT NO ONE GETS YOU OR ISN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO YOU OR UNDERSTANDS YOU. IT'S THAT EVERYONE EXCEPT YOU REALIZES YOU'LL NEVER BE SATISFIED BECAUSE YOU MAKE SHIT CHOICES AND NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE, LEADING TO MORE SHIT CHOICES. Everyone is aware of your sentiments, and considering you've gotten most of what you wanted since the Reagan Revolution, whatever part of mundane convenience store America you wanna present as some exotic, unknown land ignored by the coastal elites (one of which you worship) increasingly falls on deaf ears.

(not necessarily aimed at you Ana, but at the absurd notion of curiosity of the hyper-monotonous)

I'm going to attribute this raging gibberish to the post-all-day-drinking-Labor Day party post before bed. I love the energy, though.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

No. 

tenor.gif

22 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I'm going to attribute this raging gibberish to the post-all-day-drinking-Labor Day party post before bed. I love the energy, though.

I understand the levity, fellow post midnight poster. And you're mf-ing A right I've been drinking, but not so much that I'm unable to discern gibberish. 

I'm not poking you in the chest, but if in the morning you're unable to comprehend a passage I posted, quote it and we can walk thru it together.

Regarding those tools getting their boats swamped on Lake Travis:

Was the lake choppy that day, or was the chop caused by all the wakes? Were the boats overloaded and thus riding too low in the water?

Because in some of those pics, it appears the waves swamping the boats are wakes. And I can totally imagine trumptards overloading their boats.

Also, were any rats seen fleeing the sinking boats?

• Hook 'Em 1

San Diego is rad. It's hard to live in San Diego proper and I read that SD has the fastest "reverse movement" of the demographic of 21-34, in that the age group is actually moving out of SD at a rapid pace more than any other metro. Something about the cost of living and real estate cost versus jobs. So if that is the case, and it's already a bit red/conservative, and you have older/monied people, you have a recipe for a Mira Lago- West Coast version?
No because you're disregarding births and immigration.

Also I'd be willing to bet San Francisco has a higher proportion of out migration. San Diego is a bargain relative to the bay area and even LA to a lesser extent

I know plenty of normal, chill people that own boats. But my experience overall is that someone that is Texas upper middle class with a boat has a high chance of being an asshole. Because they earn a great salary, they think of themselves a lot more than they should. Born on 3rd thinking they hit a triple types. If invited to spend a day on the lake with them, it’s really better to find an excuse to say no.

In fairness though, one friend who could very well be that guy is 100% the opposite. It’s not a guarantee.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Regarding those tools getting their boats swamped on Lake Travis:

Was the lake choppy that day, or was the chop caused by all the wakes? Were the boats overloaded and thus riding too low in the water?

Because in some of those pics, it appears the waves swamping the boats are wakes. And I can totally imagine trumptards overloading their boats.

Also, were any rats seen fleeing the sinking boats?

The rats left in summer of 2019

In all of my travels and with all of the sordid characters with whom I kept company, how inthe hell have I never heard of the Hooters Coffee shops?

I feel like I have missed out On something important in life.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

In all of my travels and with all of the sordid characters with whom I kept company, how inthe hell have I never heard of the Hooters Coffee shops?

Whenever there is a news story about a bikini coffee bar, I smh and wonder why the owner doesnt just open a strip club. The coffee shop is almost certainly going to fail and why not cut to the chase.

Well, apparently Galveston had one yesterday, Offats Bayou style. "Over 2 dozen boats!" and that includes this inflatable gem;

5f5558db14a81.image.jpg?resize=1200,1507

I wish the newspaper would've asked these paddle boarding babes if they were involved or if not, what they thought about it.

5f5558dace975.image.jpg?resize=1200,613

What's the reason boaters come out to do this? Well Kenny here has a strong rationale:

Our country is in dire straits right now, and it’s time the silent majority speaks up,” said Seabrook resident Kenny Mungle, one of the boaters in the parade, as he prepared to launch just west of Galveston's causeway.

Yes, Kenny, we are in dire straits. That's exactly why we need a new president, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

You and me Slorch, the few, the proud, the well traveled gentlemen hailing from Lubbock.  

16 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

In 2018 there were nearly 48,000 pleasure crafts registered in San Diego County, CA.   So even if there were 1,000 boats in this parade, that would be slightly more than 2% of all pleasure boats in just that county.   Assuming some were trailered in from out of county, then the number drops.  

Not really that impressive when you consider the numbers.

https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/pages/28702/files/December 2018 - Total Vessel Registration by County.pdf

same for LT... we discussed the boating aspects not politics on the boat thread and no one on that thread that was in (or admitted to being in) the parade.  not sure how many boats are in a 30 mile radius of LT but it's got to be thousands too.