Can we have a serious thread about "Boaters for Trump"?

Gil Bang

I'm honestly surprised at how many boaters have Trump flags, and how few golf carts have Trump flags.  I would have pegged it as the opposite couple years ago.  I guess because I love the water and loathe golf.  

It's hilarious watching the evolution (devolution?) of Hayden trying to be really gracious and choose his words thoughtfully and gently push back on Slorch, and then seeing over the course of a page and various back-and-forths how it falls apart because Slorch is dug in.

I agree with everyone that of course waving flags in public is weird and annoying; whether it's Trump Flags or Rainbow Flags, all flags as political statements seems like it's trying to be antagonistic or "on the offensive", at least. 

That being said yard signs are rad.

When you think about the hoary, albeit thin, American steel of the H-stake digging into the rich earth, perma-damp due to the regularly scheduled RainBird (or another, off brand sprinkler IoT device), holding up on it's shoulders-- a set of shoulders proud to be an American and from the line of giants like Carnegie and Morgan and other strong Steelers before it-- the thin coroplastic printing of an elderly white person's name with the subtle touch of a campaign logo all of which is set inside that crisp pop of either primary-color-wheel red or blue, you think of a perfect chord struck between boldness and humility.

Thus, when combined with the just wisdom from your local HOA, designed to see the perfect iconography of that honorable rectangle glorified, of course, and then strategically placed to draw attention to the paternalistic and ever-stoic shade of the magnolia tree while also serving to mute to acceptable levels all that pomp-and-circumstance of those gaudy hydrangeas, there isn't anything that quite expresses the soul of suburbia like a political yard sign in late fall.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm honestly surprised at how many boaters have Trump flags, and how few golf carts have Trump flags.  I would have pegged it as the opposite couple years ago.  I guess because I love the water and loathe golf.  

My guess is that it would be course etiquette, and the fear of being mocked or called out to remove the flag or be forced to leave the golf course. 

24 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I've been seeing golf carts on the course with DoTaRd flags.

The main Trump flag I remember seeing was being worn, as a cape, by a teenager  running around a parking lot after the election.

His usual fashion choices were Confederate battle flag belt-buckles and the occasional tshirt with some sort of Heritage Not Hate slogan

I don't know his home life. He wasn't dumb, and was pretty good-natured. I doubt he knew the significance of any of his gear.

He was playing with his phone and asked me if I wanted to see a picture of his new girlfriend. Sure!

Cute little Black girl.

I had a Beto yard sign, and a shirt that I bought at a fundraiser. I don't think I wore the shirt except while mowing my lawn. there is no way I would have flown a Beto flag. 
I wouldn't have a problem with a Biden yard sign but I would be worried about a Trump passerby throwing something at my house. I wasn't worried about a Cruz supporter doing that with my Beto sign.
Because Nobody likes Ted Cruz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

how dare you. a trump flag never fades or frays.
Ha ha. There are a bunch in Port O that have frayed to tread "Trum" or "Tru."

Saw a lot more Confederate flags. These assholes feel emboldened to be racist. And they like being assholes.

My favorite was the half US Flag/ half Confederate Battle flag mash up. One half of the flag kicked the others ass.

Just now, Born to Run said:

Ha ha. There are a bunch in Port O that have frayed to tread "Trum" or "Tru."

Saw a lot more Confederate flags. These assholes feel emboldened to be racist. And they like being assholes.

My favorite was the half US Flag/ half Confederate Battle flag mash up. One half of the flag kicked the others ass.

Hoody Hoo!

image.jpeg.c2b51c551c1280b338ed18c2e7a74ae4.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

It's hilarious watching the evolution (devolution?) of Hayden trying to be really gracious and choose his words thoughtfully and gently push back on Slorch, and then seeing over the course of a page and various back-and-forths how it falls apart because Slorch is dug in.

well that's because he's a centrist and I'm a Nazi.

I should give ground on what?  The Trumpsters soliciting Hayden's favor before they do their demonstrations?  That's the whole point.  He thinks they should.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

You'd probably prefer that they burn down some buildings or loot some stores though, right?  If you're gonna protest, by God, do it right.

Well, they're already destroying innocent persons' property (sinking others' boats) with their obnoxious displays while proudly flying around trump paraphernalia.  And they're not even protesting anything, they're just being obnoxious assholes because they're rich enough to have big boats.  

Or did you mean the trump supporter who sent pipe bombs to prominent dems.  Or the one who shot up a synagogue.  Or went after hispanic shoppers at a Wal-Mart.  And these were all trump supporters, as opposed to people on the left who looted some stores, and not in the name of any politician.

12 hours ago, TornACL said:

The reason why there are so many Trump flags is because Trump flags have become a cottage industry. I drove by a Bass Pro Shop recently, and there were multiple vendors in the parking lot, set up like roadside velvet rug vendors, with any and every Trump flag for sale. 

You see, anyone looking to make a quick buck is instantly attracted to the unique Trumpkin mix of gullible, prideful, stupid and impulsive. You literally couldn't draw up a better customer for whom to produce $1.50 flags in China and sell for $40.

https://www.tamu.edu

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume this is Mike Finger's angle, but let me just say that when I was young (1970's), people really didn't talk about their political leanings all that much.

A for instance:  my Mom & Dad kept their vote private, FROM EACH OTHER.

I just had a conversation with my 10 year old nephew this weekend. He saw us mocking all the Trump go-karters on galveston going up and down the beach, and he's a sharp kid, so he gets it. But he asked us who we were voting for, and both his mom and I chimed in to basically explain to him that a vote is SUPPOSED to be a personal, private thing. And that you don't talk about money, religion, or politics at parties because generally speaking there's a chance you're going to offend or upset the other person, etc. 

I feel like we were some of the last adults sending that message to youth, because it's clear the message and mentality has just been completely jettisoned by most of America. It's such a weird, bizarre trend from where we started to where we've ended up. 

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

People in other countries manage to talk politics without offending sensibilities. I genuinely don’t understand the pearl clutching. “Don’t be an asshole” seems like better advice than “don’t even attempt to talk about certain subjects”

I get that attitude, but it seems idealistic at this point. Sure, Americans in many ways came of age in a concept of repression. But look at what has happened to this country when the shackles of decorum, respect for others, and normal social mores have been completely disintegrated. When fringe ideas weren't brought up, and when they were, they were rejected. While functioning adults SHOULD be able to have these conversations, do you see any functional adults around these days? Can you truly argue that we're better off the last 5 years by just shouting at each other every stupid fucking thing we think?

• Hook 'Em 1

I just had a conversation with my 10 year old nephew this weekend. He saw us mocking all the Trump go-karters on galveston going up and down the beach, and he's a sharp kid, so he gets it. But he asked us who we were voting for, and both his mom and I chimed in to basically explain to him that a vote is SUPPOSED to be a personal, private thing. And that you don't talk about money, religion, or politics at parties because generally speaking there's a chance you're going to offend or upset the other person, etc. 
I feel like we were some of the last adults sending that message to youth, because it's clear the message and mentality has just been completely jettisoned by most of America. It's such a weird, bizarre trend from where we started to where we've ended up. 

I have changed my thinking on this topic in the last two years. The public is now being subjected to psychological warfare every single day from various media sources. We have an unusually high percentage of the population believing in nutty conspiracy theories. We have 35%+ dismissing critically important news just because some idiot shouts hoax and fake news. It’s time people took some personal responsibility for fixing our incredibly effed up country. Sitting on the sidelines and muzzling ourselves is destroying this country.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I have changed my thinking on this topic in the last two years. The public is now being subjected to psychological warfare every single day from various media sources. We have an unusually high percentage of the population believing in nutty conspiracy theories. We have 35%+ dismissing critically important news just because some idiot shouts hoax and fake news. It’s time people took some personal responsibility for fixing our incredibly effed up country. Sitting on the sidelines and muzzling ourselves is destroying this country.

Listen, I was speaking to him about the very specific concept of voting and asking someone who they're voting for...but that being said, does it seem to you like a preponderance of people are muzzling themselves these days? On either side?

Just got back from the Outer Banks. Saw this in Manteo NC this weekend:
f147880d14b7388cf26a933fad368ad9.jpg

There were more flags flying later and the Trumpkins all partied together the whole weekend. Fortunately, we did not witness the fleet at sail. Unfortunately, we did not witness any sinkings.

We did see fairly large vessel at anchor for a couple of hours on Monday across from the Trump fleet flying a modest Biden flag. Did not have our phones with us to document that phantom.

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

You are forgetting that a black man from Kenya got elected president and Trump was the first person to figure out he wasn’t eligible to be president.

And spread the good word.

The subconscious racists like the evangelicals and the conscious racists like the proud boys and their ilk have been going crazy ever since. Trump is their savior from a world where they are not superior to the black and brown minorities, and don’t forget about the gays. It really is that simple.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume this is Mike Finger's angle, but let me just say that when I was young (1970's), people really didn't talk about their political leanings all that much.

A for instance:  my Mom & Dad kept their vote private, FROM EACH OTHER.

On the other hand, where I grew up there were “sign wars”, among landowning farmers and ranchers.  I remember the Bill Clements vs.  Mark White in the 80s, where quite a few signs got destroyed or defaced.   Not near as prevalent as now but it was there.  Of course that was the same area where during integration when my dad taught school and drove a bus, people threw rocks at the bus for picking up black kids.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

In hindsight we should not be too surprised. There is nothing more fratty than boating and BWI's and we all know it's not fratty to be a hippie (e.g. anything other than a Trumpkin). It's so on the nose that if it was written as a treatment for television you'd be mocked in the writer's room for being too obvious and cliche.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The other half of that anecdote is that there was a day when a candidate would vote for their opponent.

At least, that was the story. I kinda question that one.

Don't act like that's not possible this year when Joe casts his ballot.

17 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

People in other countries manage to talk politics without offending sensibilities. I genuinely don’t understand the pearl clutching. “Don’t be an asshole” seems like better advice than “don’t even attempt to talk about certain subjects”

Some of that may be because other countries typically have more than two candidates running.  You don't get the dug in "my way or else" nearly as bad when things are spread over more choices.