Labor Day News: CA Gender Reveal Party Burns 7,000 Acres

clapclapclap

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/07/us/california-fire-el-dorado-gender-reveal-trnd/index.html

Spoiler

As multiple wildfires burn in California, one of the fires was started during a gender-reveal party, officials said.

A "smoke generating pyrotechnic device" used at the party caused the El Dorado Fire in San Bernardino County, Cal Fire said in a press release.
The fire started Saturday at 10:23 a.m. at the El Dorado Ranch Park in Yucaipa and spread from the park north on to Yucaipa Ridge, according to the release.
It has since grown to 7,050 acres as of early Monday morning, the Cal Fire incident website shows.

Evacuations have been ordered for the communities of Oak Glen, Yucaipa Ridge, Mountain Home Village and Forest Falls. An evacuation warning is in effect for the Yucaipa bench area and Yucaipa Community Center is being used as a temporary evacuation facility, according to Cal Fire.
More than 500 personnel have been deployed to the fire, along with 60 engines and four helicopters, according to the website.
Overnight weather is expected to remain hot and dry with a relative humidity of 20%, San Bernardino National Forest said in it's evening update on the fire. Winds will also continue at three to five miles per hour with gust up to 10 miles per hour, resulting in "active fire behavior throughout the night."
No charges have been announced in the blaze.

Edited by clapclapclap

34 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Seriously, fuck these people. Record setting hot, dry temperatures here in California this weekend, fires are everywhere, and these fuck sticks are setting off smoke bombs for the perfect Instagram post.

Put their shit on blast, and send them the bill.    Make sure everybody knows who is responsible.  File all the charges that you can.   It’ll put a damper on these stupid fucking actions really fast.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

My wife and I had our first last December. My wife found out the gender from a blood test early on, and the doctor told her over the phone when I wasn't even home. She told me later, we smiled and laughed and cried, and then didn't even tell family for another couple of months.

Fuck people turning every intimate, personal moment into look-at-me bullshit. 'Merica

We didn’t know what gender we were having with all three of our sons until they popped out of Mrs. Brat. Pre-ultrasound days.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My wife and I had our first last December. My wife found out the gender from a blood test early on, and the doctor told her over the phone when I wasn't even home. She told me later, we smiled and laughed and cried, and then didn't even tell family for another couple of months.

Fuck people turning every intimate, personal moment into look-at-me bullshit. 'Merica

you cried over discovering the gender of your kid, or was it a "we finally got pregnant after all of this bullshit" type of deal?

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Are we long-lost brothers?

Seriously, the only people that give a fuck are the parents and grandparents (maybe?). Any of the friends who say “I knew it! He’s going to be such a sweet boy!” need to have their heads examined.

People do gender reveals because they think they’re important in the grand scheme of things. Fuck self-entitlement.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

"I'm having a magic coin-toss reveal party the week after your shower.  Please bring a gift, cash bar, thank you."

"You can't have a party, expecting gifts, for something as arbitrary and pointless as a coin toss!"

"Well, it's a 50/50 chance.  Same as your gender reveal party!"  

"Dude, we're talking about a human baby here, not some Silver Dollar magic trick!"

"Oh, wait 'til you see where I'm grabbing my coin from"  

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My oldest is in Pasadena. Evac bag is packed. She is a little anxious about it but trying to keep from freaking out. She grew up in tornado alley and the whole earthquake/fire thing really through her at first. Can't say that I blame her.

What part of Pasadena?

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Northeast of Caltech

It can be unnerving. It is so strange to be on a California freeway with 12 lanes of traffic going 80 mph while a fire is not far from the road and filling up the sky. They just don't sweat it. Imagine those same Californians on a gravel road in Nebraska during a blizzard trying to stay out of a ditch. They would need therapy the rest of their lives.

Best wishes to your daughter. If she has a bugout bag ready to go, she is better prepared than most. She may want to keep her vehicle topped off. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 2:10 PM, aggie08 said:

This occurred with me early on as well.  I had work, and wasn't even able to make the appointment.  My ex wife called me in tears to tell me what that little Homesick was gonna be a boy, and I remember it like it was yesterday.  

That was one of the best days of my entire life.

Evidently, the gender discovery  thing as way, way, way too far down on my list of life's milestones.

WTF am I missing?  You're having a kid either way, right? It's not like, "Whew it's a boy.  No mandatory abortion."

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

It can be unnerving. It is so strange to be on a California freeway with 12 lanes of traffic going 80 mph while a fire is not far from the road and filling up the sky. They just don't sweat it. Imagine those same Californians on a gravel road in Nebraska during a blizzard trying to stay out of a ditch. They would need therapy the rest of their lives.

Best wishes to your daughter. If she has a bugout bag ready to go, she is better prepared than most. She may want to keep her vehicle topped off. 

Thank you for your words of encouragement. She is on whatever alert systems they have out there for the various natural disasters. A firetruck was idling on her street in the middle of the night, and I think it spooked her a little. It looks to me like there is plenty of real estate between her and the fire but I know nothing about this stuff, and I shudder to think of the devastation if it were to reach that far regardless. We were going to visit this summer but COVID happened so we haven't been out since helping move and that trip was a  whirlwind, most of which involved the drive from Texas and back.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Evidently, the gender discovery  thing as way, way, way too far down on my list of life's milestones.

WTF am I missing?  You're having a kid either way, right? It's not like, "Whew it's a boy.  No mandatory abortion."

I had heard of it, but even if that had been a 'thing' when our children were born, it isn't how we roll. We waited until they were born and then called family and sent word to a few close friends that didn't live nearby with a phone call as well.

On the surface, my shallow interpretation is that some people are using it as a lifestyle competition and trying to outdo each other on social media, kind of like they do with children's birthday parties, etc.

I've never understood milestones as a competitive event. Do you hire someone based on what age they learned to walk? Shed diapers? Had a full-on pony ride and magicians at their sixth birthday celebration?

31 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

On the surface, my shallow interpretation is that some people are using it as a lifestyle competition and trying to outdo each other on social media, kind of like they do with children's birthday parties, etc.

the answer (as always) is its the damn reality shows pushing this shit.   

because of covid, i've been watching a lot of the DIY shows... which TLC likes to fucking advertise on... if I wanted to watch the TLC channel and its bullshit shows, I would turn on TLC....

anyway, one of the ads that came up for TLC was the next gen duggers kids  (their parents had like 20 kids), who have their own show now I guess.

Anyway, the fucking ad has video of a bunch of people on the ground looking up at a helicopter that is hovering over them. The voiceover clip from one of the Dugger kids saying that "each new Dugger gender reveal party gets more insane"....

which I guess implies that helicopter stunt was one of these parties.

you get enough stupid people who watch this shit and think its totally normal and you end up with morons setting thousands of acres of forest on fire.