Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, futureman said:

17 points.  loss.  repeat of last year.  get ready for 8-8 you stupid cunt. 

The Rams played 2 deep safeties all game and the oline was getting destroyed. He played about as well as any QB could. 

So yea, fuck you and you're stupid, vapid, and unimaginative little schtick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I said this in the game thread, but I didn't mind going for it on 4th down there early in the 4th qtr. There were nearly 12 minutes left in the game at the time, the defense had actually started playing well, and we got 2 more possessions after losing the ball on downs there. Those are the types of game situations where I'd prefer my team go for it. There was a bit of results based logic going on in the game thread, but we've complained about how chickenshit Garrett was for the last 12 years and now we finally get a coach who is going to force the issue in those types of situations and I'm here for it. . 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s disappointing. I’d like to see the Cowboys win big games. Zeke is awesome but that “Feed Me” tattoo on his stomach is fugly. The division is winnable so that’s one good thing. I would just like to see us win games against contender types. The Rams D is very good...their offense can get away with not scoring as much. We need to be able to pull down at least 24 points a game because our D isn’t the Rams. Also Cowboys injuries...Two guys out for the season. It’s just disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Any injury updates?  Jarwin's did not look good at all.

Jarwin tore his ACL. And as much as it shouldn’t matter, I have a feeling we’re going to be complaining about how this team needs a TE all year. 

The schedule lightens up a little bit but we’re going 1-1 at best over the next two games. 0-2 isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I don’t see a scenario where we beat Seattle. They’re better than us. Next weeks game is going to be very interesting, because I feel like the two teams are pretty similar. We have a better running game but they have what most people would consider to be a better qb. Both offenses are high powered, but haven’t been clutch in a few years. Both teams have questions all over their defense, and both teams are going to come out desperately trying to avoid that dreaded 0-2 start. 

Hot takes:

Felt like the same old same ol. So much for McCarthy being something that he isn’t, an analytics driven aggressive football mind....

Forcing the run way too much early in the game in early downs.

Dak wasn’t bad, but he wasn’t consistently good either.

The move to go for it on 4th & 3 was bad bc of the dumbass play called on 3rd, and the dumb ass play called on 4th.

The missed calls probably evened out except for that offensive PI on the final drive, that was terrible

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Hot takes:

Felt like the same old same ol. So much for McCarthy being something that he isn’t, an analytics driven aggressive football mind....

Forcing the run way too much early in the game in early downs.

Dak wasn’t bad, but he wasn’t consistently good either.

The move to go for it on 4th & 3 was bad bc of the dumbass play called on 3rd, and the dumb ass play called on 4th.

The missed calls probably evened out except for that offensive PI on the final drive, that was terrible

Was reading about the 4th down play call and how that was pretty much on Dalton Shultz for not running his rub route properly.  He's supposed to cross at 5-6 yards and Lamb is crossing from the other direction underneath him at 4 yards.  Shultz broke his route off at 4, causing Lamb to still come underneath but at 2.5.  The rest was a great play/tackle by the safety.  

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I said this in the game thread, but I didn't mind going for it on 4th down there early in the 4th qtr. There were nearly 12 minutes left in the game at the time, the defense had actually started playing well, and we got 2 more possessions after losing the ball on downs there. Those are the types of game situations where I'd prefer my team go for it. There was a bit of results based logic going on in the game thread, but we've complained about how chickenshit Garrett was for the last 12 years and now we finally get a coach who is going to force the issue in those types of situations and I'm here for it. . 

the D playing better was actually the reason to kick the FG.  It wasn't a pinball machine scorefest type of game and the rest of the game bore that out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, slorch said:

butthurtpirate...

Dude, let it go.   Week 1 loss.

Dak has plenty of time to prove himself in a contract year.

"Dak played better than Goff"    is that the bar now?

It's certainly not the bar, nor did I say it was. See the comment I was replying to. 

Point being Dak played pretty well considering the circumstances and is far from the reason they lost the game. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Jarwin tore his ACL. And as much as it shouldn’t matter, I have a feeling we’re going to be complaining about how this team needs a TE all year. 

The schedule lightens up a little bit but we’re going 1-1 at best over the next two games. 0-2 isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I don’t see a scenario where we beat Seattle. They’re better than us. Next weeks game is going to be very interesting, because I feel like the two teams are pretty similar. We have a better running game but they have what most people would consider to be a better qb. Both offenses are high powered, but haven’t been clutch in a few years. Both teams have questions all over their defense, and both teams are going to come out desperately trying to avoid that dreaded 0-2 start. 

After Jarwin went down, Schulz had a terrible game.  Not to mention the bad route on the mesh play on 4th down.  He also had a ball go thru his hands on the 2nd down before the 4th which would have gotten the first and dropped another ball.  Also a penalty to bring back a big play although it was pretty iffy.  You ready for........ Jason Witten for a 7th rounder, baby!!!!

I could see it.

Our defense is still weak against physical run teams especially ones who do a lot of outside zone/waggle/boot action and don't get the ball back from anyone.  We had 1 3 and out the whole game and had a pick on 3rd down on a missed call.  Otherwise, the Rams controlled the tempo and the field position, which was a huge theme last year.  We had more first downs but had the ball 10 less minutes.  4-15 on 3rd/4th downs is also really bad.  Meanwhile, Rams were 9-18 for the same.  A lot to clean up but the middle of our defense looks soft again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Dallas just looked mediocre all over. Not many explosive plays. Running game lukewarm and inconsistent. Defense can't get the big stop on 3rd down. Key penalties at the worst possible times. 

No teams looked good yesterday, but not seeing RHJ on the sidelines was refreshing.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

After Jarwin went down, Schulz had a terrible game.  Not to mention the bad route on the mesh play on 4th down.  He also had a ball go thru his hands on the 2nd down before the 4th which would have gotten the first and dropped another ball.  Also a penalty to bring back a big play although it was pretty iffy.  You ready for........ Jason Witten for a 7th rounder, baby!!!!

I could see it.

Our defense is still weak against physical run teams especially ones who do a lot of outside zone/waggle/boot action and don't get the ball back from anyone.  We had 1 3 and out the whole game and had a pick on 3rd down on a missed call.  Otherwise, the Rams controlled the tempo and the field position, which was a huge theme last year.  We had more first downs but had the ball 10 less minutes.  4-15 on 3rd/4th downs is also really bad.  Meanwhile, Rams were 9-18 for the same.  A lot to clean up but the middle of our defense looks soft again. 

As soon as I saw the injury, that was the first thought that came into my mind.  

58 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the D playing better was actually the reason to kick the FG.  It wasn't a pinball machine scorefest type of game and the rest of the game bore that out.

I don’t mind going for it in that spot. That’s not why we lost. OPI at the end wasn’t why we lost. @Patrick Bateman pretty much nailed it, but on top of that, we scored all of 3 points in the 2nd half. Team 40 burger, ladies and gentleman. 

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t mind going for it in that spot. That’s not why we lost. OPI at the end wasn’t why we lost. @Patrick Bateman pretty much nailed it, but on top of that, we scored all of 3 points in the 2nd half. Team 40 burger, ladies and gentleman. 

it certainly wasn't the only reason we lost.  Mainly, we didn't repeat the first half offensive performance on the scoreboard, but we lost by 3 and had 3 chances to get 3 points

missed 53 yarder

not kicking on the 4th down

OPI called(would have at least had a short FG)

We went 0-3. ball game.

I don’t want to overreact about the performance last night. It is what it is. It’s one game. It was the Spider-Man meme of last years team, but still just one game. I’m just worried this team could easily start 0-3. Atlanta is pretty similar to us, and Seattle is just better. 0-3 and this thing could get ugly quick

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

12 minutes left in the game and the ball at the 11 yard line, this is exact situation where we would've complained about Garrett kicking a short FG. It sucks that we didn't convert, but I want my coach going for TDs when we're in TD scoring territory. I feel the same people complaining about going for it there would've been squawking about not going for it had Zuerlein shanked a 28 yd FG there (ie results based logic).

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

12 minutes left in the game and the ball at the 11 yard line, this is exact situation where we would've complained about Garrett kicking a short FG. It sucks that we didn't convert, but I want my coach going for TDs when we're in TD scoring territory. I feel the same people complaining about going for it there would've been squawking about not going for it had Zuerlein shanked a FG there ie results based logic.

in a 17 to 20 game I would have never bitched about a tying FG from Garrett in the 4th quarter.  now if it had been a back an forth scorefest in the 2nd half maybe.  

the problem with analytics is you have to do it all the time for the analytics to "work".  he didn't go for it from the 35 on 4th and 7 earlier in the game.  that is the perfect place to go for it and guess what we missed the 53 yard FG.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Diggs gave up 2 big catches but was on great position on both plays. Then the 3rd down stop on brown was a huge play. I was impressed with him. 

Yeah Diggs seems to always be around the ball and unlike Jones he consistently turns his head around to potentially make a play on the ball. He's gonna come up with a couple picks before too long.  

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah Diggs seems to always be around the ball and unlike Jones he consistently turns his head around to potentially make a play on the ball. He's gonna come up with a couple picks before too long.  

Yep.  He got 'beat' a few times last night, but that's the type of getting beat I can get behind.  He played aggressive, smart defense.  He was blanketing his guy all night and fell victim to 2 perfectly thrown balls, both of which he was millimeters away from a PBU.  If that ball near the Dallas end of the field is a fraction later or behind the receiver, he's taking it to the house.   

I think the Cowboys can absorb the loss of Jarwin just fine with the addition of Lamb in the slot, and an over the hill Witten-like performance out of Schultz for a short gain alternative now and then. I'm more worried about getting the OL in shape and shoring up the horrible defense, which continues to get blown up right up the middle. Need to get the tackles healthy and a stronger rotation and do something about the shitty LB situation. But none of that is going to fix Nolan as the DC, well past his prime.

Just now, DougO said:

I think the Cowboys can absorb the loss of Jarwin just fine with the addition of Lamb in the slot, and an over the hill Witten-like performance out of Schultz for a short gain alternative now and then. I'm more worried about getting the OL in shape and shoring up the horrible defense, which continues to get blown up right up the middle. Need to get the tackles healthy and a stronger rotation and do something about the shitty LB situation. But none of that is going to fix Nolan as the DC, well past his prime.

I think they need to take a hard look at signing Snacks Harrison.  

Just now, DougO said:

And that big Tristen Hill 2.0 coming out party we were told to expect would be nice to see happen.

He made a few decent plays last night actually.  A lot of what happened on the interior DL was made to look worse by the awful pursuit angles and over-running of plays by LVE (when he was in) and certainly by Jaylon.  

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was obvious when Jarwin went down, he tore his ACL. Sucks. This was going to be the season he was going to show what he had without Witten here. Now we have really nothing there. Terrible start to this season so far. Right side of the OL is already a mess.

I am still not sold on the OC. I’ve said it. This league has too many dynamic OCs. They just do. Having said that I think we will be ok. I’m just disappointed right now as we all are. I think by October we will feel better about this team. I’d just like us to win games vs badass teams. I don’t hate on Dak like so many do I just feel like he’s not dynamic. Jmo. Fuck, the Jags are supposed to be tanking and Gardner Minshew was 19/20 for 173 and 3 TDs and some rushing yards. And 16 fucking rookies on the squad only one or two starters on the team over the age of 30. But their OC is Jay Gruden and while he didn’t do well as an HC at Washington the Jags won that fucking game. No one predicted them to win and that’s with the 3 points the home team gets. We’ll see how well the Jags do vs the Titans but honestly I don’t think having Dak drop back to pass is a winning deal. 

Man this front office has zero idea how to draft defense. So many wasted picks. In 3 years in a row, we drafted Jaylon, Taco and LVE. One guy is not here, the other 2 suck dick and one of those is not long for this league with his injuries. Which he had in college but typical Dallas front office, we love injured players. 

Giving that Jaylon the extension was one of the dumbest things they have done. But even dumber, was actually drafting him to begin with. LVE and Jaylon were both exposed in that Rams playoff game and it has been downhill ever since. They looked so bad last night. The middle of this defense is probably bottom 5 in this league. Another year of no talent in the DT position. Teams are going to look to feast on the interior of this defense. Run up the middle on our weak DTs or do some misdirection and the LBs will be so far out of position to get an easy gain.

This is why I have no problem with us drafting offense over defense. We know how to draft offense. That is realistically the only way we can win at this point.

Just now, DougO said:

I believe just having "Garrett" in the thread title has cursed the Cowboys. I cringe every time I see it.

Well they play soon enough. Is it. Saquon up the middle or what? I think the Giants might win by 3. Jmo. Not that it’s Garrett. I think that older QBs won’t play well

3 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Diggs gave up 2 big catches but was on great position on both plays. Then the 3rd down stop on brown was a huge play. I was impressed with him. 

Yeah, we're going to see that.  He also jumped a route and just missed another knock down/pick that ended up slipping right past him for a first down.  We're going to see more big plays from a guy like him in regards to Bryon Jones, but he'll also allow a few more plays too.  Gotta accept that trade off methinks.

3 hours ago, DougO said:

And that big Tristen Hill 2.0 coming out party we were told to expect would be nice to see happen.

Saw some flashes yesterday.  Hope to see more.  And Aldon Smith looked like 2014 Aldon Smith.  Hope it's sustainable.

Also, we are way overreacting to 1 game.  Yes it looks much the same, but we probably should have expected it with the lack of offseason/preseason.  If we're still saying "Same Ol', Same Ol'" after week 4 or 5 then we'll really be in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah, we're going to see that.  He also jumped a route and just missed another knock down/pick that ended up slipping right past him for a first down.  We're going to see more big plays from a guy like him in regards to Bryon Jones, but he'll also allow a few more plays too.  Gotta accept that trade off methinks.

Saw some flashes yesterday.  Hope to see more.  And Aldon Smith looked like 2014 Aldon Smith.  Hope it's sustainable.

Also, we are way overreacting to 1 game.  Yes it looks much the same, but we probably should have expected it with the lack of offseason/preseason.  If we're still saying "Same Ol', Same Ol'" after week 4 or 5 then we'll really be in trouble.

Aldon looks great