Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

I never bought into the preseason media and fan hype. i expected the Cowboys to be probably 8-8ish, give or take a game or two, with some serious flaws and some playmakers that keep it interesting, much like recent years. I never expected a McCarthy to wave a magic wand and fix everything, just because he's not Garrett.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, here are some trends..... I'm not advocating passing 90% of the time on first.  I'm advocating running the ball better on first.  Now, having a banged up OL vs one of the better DL and best DT in the league wasn't a great way to start off the season, but Washington's DL is scary good.  Philly's is banged up but pretty decent when healthy.  Giants is average.

If we didn't know..... He got his extension.  He needs to pull his head out of his ass or needs to be drafted over.

Hill had an inconsistent game but I agree with Owing that he flashed some and that's a huge step forward.  Just needs to get more consistent with his leverage.

Thompson presumably outplayed HaHa to take his spot.  He wasn't very good last night.

Finally.... this is an awful stat.  3 drops, although 1 was Dak leading Cooper into a trap coverage and getting blown up.  3-7 or 4-7 is much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Mike McCarthy on Jaylon Smith last night: "I thought he played very well. I thought he was very active. I think he's off to a great start."

What is he suppose to say about a guy that we can’t replace? He has to be the guy, especially now with the injuries at LB. I guarantee he’s getting his ass chewed out today when they’re watching game tape. 

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I didn't think he was THAT bad and in fact thought he played well!

Go back and watch how often he ran himself out of the play, specifically on screens.  There was another screen where he was well on his way to running himself out of the play only Malcolm Brown dropped the pass.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Go back and watch how often he ran himself out of the play, specifically on screens.  There was another screen where he was well on his way to running himself out of the play only Malcolm Brown dropped the pass.  

Anytime anyone runs counter action, you can bet on Jaylon being 3-10 yards out of position.   

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

what circumstances?  the same circumstances every other player in the league is dealing with?  ok, guy. 

Yea, everyone in the league is going against Aaron Donald and is has their starting RT replaced by an UDFA rookie.

But you keep doing you and blame it all on Dak...  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

@futureman is an excellent troll, damnit. Your engaging him is proof.

He is, however, unequivocally clueless when it comes to the foosball.

Engagement most often comes from people being bored, it's not some sort of affirmation of a troll's capabilities. A good troll changes things up, is entertaining, original, etc.... 

Futureman's Dak schtick relied upon Mike White being on the team. Now that Mike's working at Walmart, it's just lame. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As poorly as the Cowboys OL graded, the thing that keeps coming to my mind is how they seemed to be able to function to some degree and not totally collapse like they generally would when Garrett didn't have five healthy starters.

The UDFA rookie from Tech that had to step in didn't give up a half dozen sacks and make some lucky opposing DE millions on his next contract.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, DougO said:

I never bought into the preseason media and fan hype. i expected the Cowboys to be probably 8-8ish, give or take a game or two, with some serious flaws and some playmakers that keep it interesting, much like recent years. I never expected a McCarthy to wave a magic wand and fix everything, just because he's not Garrett.

Sometimes for just a minute I get Doug and Drew confused, and thankfully I realized my error before I absolutely roasted this comment. 

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Well this is encouraging, and oh so not surprising.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/nfl-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-offense-packers

No, not surprising. I never bought in to the total re-invention of philosophy after spending a year in a room studying trends and metrics and shit, either...with a bunch of other oldass coaches who weren't going to change, either. It was a good way to market themselves for a new job way past their prime, though. Never was crazy about the hire. I liked it a lot less when Nolan was named DC.

No, not surprising. I never bought in to the total re-invention of philosophy after spending a year in a room studying trends and metrics and shit, either...with a bunch of other oldass coaches who weren't going to change, either. It was a good way to market themselves for a new job way past their prime, though. Never was crazy about the hire. I liked it a lot less when Nolan was named DC.

30th and 32nd in the nfl in defense didn’t get you excited? I can’t imagine why not.

Well this is encouraging, and oh so not surprising.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/nfl-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-offense-packers
I said after the first game, I didn't see one ounce of difference in our offense from the Garrett era. Predictable. No variety in our sets. No movement or motion. No misdirection. So many outs and comeback routes. Slow developing routes down field and Dak taking 4 and 5 step drops. Even with a shitty OL play.

The media said this was the complete opposite of what they saw in training camp.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All of that plus not only retaining the OC but learning his terminology instead of using your own. 

expecting the offense to be completely different when it has the same coordinator and even the same terminology is an absurd leap of faith.  

I can understand doing that under the circumstances since they had no offseason camps or even a full training camp to get completely switched over. It's far easier for a few coaches to learn the terminology than all the offensive players plus the OC. That said it's no excuse for not adjusting to the situation in the game. 

As a non cowboy fan or hater if they lose the next two to go 0-3 they could solve their QB problems by going full on tank mode to get the #1. Would greatly help the cap and buy them another window with a rookie scale paid QB. 

20 hours ago, TornACL said:

Sometimes for just a minute I get Doug and Drew confused, and thankfully I realized my error before I absolutely roasted this comment. 

Yeah me and DougO have been on opposite ends of this.  While I don't think MM will "wave a magic wand" and fix everything, I do think he'll be better than Garrett(and one freaking game doesn't prove he isn't). I don't think he's crazy for thinking 8-8, it's fair.  It's what they were last year.  It's the other idiots that pretend like the Cowboys are a 5-11 team since Dak took over that are annoying(and why they're on ignore)

I think the Rams are a really bad matchup for this defense(always has been since McVay got there) and that made the defense look much worse than I think they'll look most of the year, at least I hope.  I believe we'll see this defense look more competent against teams that aren't like them(the 49rs and Ravens will probably kill them with their rushing/quick pass offenses though).  Defense won't overall be worse than last year, and that was my biggest contention, along with Special Teams(They ALREADY had a longer Punt Return than they had all of last year, in which lack of field position has been completely glossed over), so in those areas they are the same or better, and probably should have won 10 games last year.

The NFC East is trash, again, and considering they still won 8 games despite all the crap that went on last year, I still stand by my belief that they'll win at least 10 games this year(provided Covid doesn't get in the way)

Add in that they were 1-7 in one score games last year(after being 7-1 the year before), I believe we'll see a return to the mean, and maybe they're 3-4 in those types of games instead.

18 hours ago, Drew said:

and considering they still won 8 games despite all the crap that went on last year

this is truly unbelievable but also expected by the dak-apologist contingent.  “all the crap that went on” was little more than a quarterback that couldn’t win games when it mattered and put up stats when it didn’t. 

31 minutes ago, futureman said:

this is truly unbelievable but also expected by the dak-apologist contingent.  “all the crap that went on” was little more than a quarterback that couldn’t win games when it mattered and put up stats when it didn’t. 

Especially when compared to what the eagles had to go through. I imagine Stephen Jones talking to Howie Roseman like “man, we just had  so much BS last year that we just couldn’t overcome” and Roseman just laughing uncontrollably right in his face.