Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

First 2 games pass rush has been non existent. They need to find the answer fast. 

Yep..... I think we've gotten everything we want out of Aldon and more but DLaw needs to get home.  I don't care if he's in the area..... pressures are good but this defense has to get some 3 and outs and some turnovers and negative plays.  It was a huge issue last year and thus far, it's been more of the same.... no big plays by the defense.  We also dropped 3 picks today.

1 hour ago, anacardo said:

changing your base defensive front is nearly always an expensive strategic error.  terrible decision.  Parcells did it, made Dexter Coakley, La'Roi Glover, Dat Nguyen and Roy Williams liabilities.  Garrett did it, did the same to our best pass rusher ever / future HOFer and off went Ware b/c he couldn't play line at 240 lbs.   Now it'll be D-Law at minimum.  

Depends on what your goal is as a coach.  If it’s to win, then changing fronts is a bad idea.  If it is to have a built-in excuse for the first couple of years of your tenure, then it’s pretty smart.

1 hour ago, anacardo said:

changing your base defensive front is nearly always an expensive strategic error.  terrible decision.  Parcells did it, made Dexter Coakley, La'Roi Glover, Dat Nguyen and Roy Williams liabilities.  Garrett did it, did the same to our best pass rusher ever / future HOFer and off went Ware b/c he couldn't play line at 240 lbs.   Now it'll be D-Law at minimum.  

dp

Edited by conVINCEd

3 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

34/47 450 yards 1 TD passing 3 rushing 

Dude sucks! 

You can't deny the settling effect of the Red Rifle QB coming in to take some crucial snaps to get the ship righted and hand it back over to Dak for the layup.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yep..... I think we've gotten everything we want out of Aldon and more but DLaw needs to get home.  I don't care if he's in the area..... pressures are good but this defense has to get some 3 and outs and some turnovers and negative plays.  It was a huge issue last year and thus far, it's been more of the same.... no big plays by the defense.  We also dropped 3 picks today.

DLAW was really good on run D, and always has been.    

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, not that this really matters, but you can put every dollar in your bank account on the fact that the eagles will win and cover against the Rams today. They’re just a better coached team. Jim Schwartz isn’t an idiot. He isn’t going to get fooled by 10 variations of a screen pass.

Fuck.  Thanks a lot, dude.  I guess I can work until I'm dead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

And that's great..... but we're talking about an anemic pass rush which has 2 sacks in 2 games.  The pass rush was supposed to be where we'd hang our hat but it hasn't made a huge difference thus far, especially with a very leaky secondary.  We have 1 turnover in 2 games.  These are all themes from last year.  Can they get better?  Surely and I hope they will as they get most acclimated to the scheme, but the offense needs some help.  

44 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

He has been good against the run. Sacks are great but to have pressures on a qb will help a fuck ton. The first int vs the rams came because of pressure from Aldon

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

5 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

He has been good against the run. Sacks are great but to have pressures on a qb will help a fuck ton. The first int vs the rams came because of pressure from Aldon

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And that's great..... but we're talking about an anemic pass rush which has 2 sacks in 2 games.  The pass rush was supposed to be where we'd hang our hat but it hasn't made a huge difference thus far, especially with a very leaky secondary.  We have 1 turnover in 2 games.  These are all themes from last year.  Can they get better?  Surely and I hope they will as they get most acclimated to the scheme, but the offense needs some help.  

5 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

And there’s no doubt about that.   Watch the game a bit.  Lawrence is lined up against a tackle and TE a bunch of the time.   I’m not saying he can’t do more, he can.   But dude is doubled and more about 60% of the time and has been for years.  

• Like 1

As shitty as the Cowboy defense is, it held the Falcons to 350 yards or so, 10 points in the second half and saw 17 points basically gifted to them in the first quarter because of all the fumbles. Atlanta’s 3rd/4th down conversion rate was today high.

Would love to see the Cowboys add Earl Thomas — I mean why not? Let’s see if it works.

The NFC East is horrifically bad. Sounds like Saquon Barkley tore his ACL today and Eagles fans might assassinate Carson Wentz.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dak throws throws for over 400 and rushes for 3 himself. Overcomes 3 turnovers and a 20pt deficit. 19 at half. 15 with under 5 minutes to go. Missing 2 of the best 3 OL on this team. He was a magician the 2nd half. This game was all him. Not one ounce of help from the defense. They had a late sack and that's it. Dropped 2 picks. Made no timely plays. Their only real stop came with Atlanta trying to run the clock out and running generic plays.

And you really had people who honestly blamed the offense this game and thought the defense had no blame lmao. This defense is straight up ass juice. Zero playmakers out there and are so out of position constantly. 

I know the Dak haters were hurt seeing him play the way he did and lead us to the win. Maybe next week guys.

I've said the last 2 years that I was willing to be impressed. I never said he was a shitty player, but rather that his play didn't warrant the contract he was seeking.  There's a big difference in that discussion. The Chiefs were lackluster AF yesterday until the 4th quarter. Then Mahomes did Mahomes things.  Nobody in the league is just going to crush it 24/7 and 60 minutes on the football clock every week.  That part of looking at Dak is fair.  The perseverance matters.  Making plays matters, especially late.  He did that in a huge way against the Falcons.

If he becomes that guy that makes this team believe they are never out of it, then fucking great.

Zuerlein making that kick 3 times, and none of them were really close; was one of the most impressive things I've seen in a long time.

Lulz, people still saying this was an “empty stat” game from Dak. Jesus.

They can’t help themselves.

*not you slorch, that’s fair. I think Dak has shown he can keep them in games and bring them back. Just didn’t work out much last year and I feel it was stolen from him/Gallup last week by that horrible call.

Daks just not the guy. We all know it. Shit, not even Romo good. 3 good WRs and he cant stretch the field on deep balls. Looking at another 8-8 year and mid to late round pick. Kellen project needs to die in a fire. Dak seems to be a great dude and I want him to be good but he just doesnt have the It factor.
Play from behind a large deficit and and any team goes into prevent. Passing yards will be there. Immsure we will hear all weak about the comeback. Atlanta shit the bed, plain and simple, and Dallas got lucky.
Dak said it was a great win and he wanted to get in the locker room and celebrate with the team.

On the onside kick, what is the logic behind kicking it like that?  It worked, but it seemed to be more of a fluke than some great kick.  99 times out of 100 the other team is just going to fall on it before it crosses 10 yards.  What is the strategy for a successful onside kick under the current rules?  I don't even know what the rule changes were other than you can no longer just blast the other team as they are waiting for the ball to come down from a high bounce. 

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

On the onside kick, what is the logic behind kicking it like that?  It worked, but it seemed to be more of a fluke than some great kick.  99 times out of 100 the other team is just going to fall on it before it crosses 10 yards.  What is the strategy for a successful onside kick under the current rules?  I don't even know what the rule changes were other than you can no longer just blast the other team as they are waiting for the ball to come down from a high bounce. 

1%> 0%

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Lulz, people still saying this was an “empty stat” game from Dak. Jesus.

They can’t help themselves.

*not you slorch, that’s fair. I think Dak has shown he can keep them in games and bring them back. Just didn’t work out much last year and I feel it was stolen from him/Gallup last week by that horrible call.

Drew Dak played really well. But if we don’t get that onside kick it is 100.% an empty stats game. It wasn’t because we needed all those stats to complete a comeback, but if we don’t finish them off it’s definitely empty stats. You do realize someone can play well and also have empty stats, right? Why the fuck are you so defensive about Dak lol? I’ll never understand it. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, slorch said:

1%> 0%

I guess I get it if the new strategy on an onside kick is just hoping the other teams royally fucks up, but I think the stat is they are 10% are successful?  There is no way that onside kick would work 10% of the time, but I don't really know what has been successful for other teams.  Have they all needed a major screwup by the opponent to be successful?  If so, then yeah just do whatever and cross your fingers, or is there an actual strategy that teams try to execute?

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

10-6. Offense too good. McCarthy will calm down from his reckless tendencies the first two games. Nolan will get this shit squared away or be fired. 

Yes Drew, if the Cowboys had lost it would’ve been an empty stat game, and he’s had a lot of those. And they should’ve lost and Dak was directly responsible. 

One fumble means Dak would've been DIRECTLY responsible? Give me a break!! It's literally impossible for people like you to give him any credit whatsoever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Drew Dak played really well. But if we don’t get that onside kick it is 100.% an empty stats game. It wasn’t because we needed all those stats to complete a comeback, but if we don’t finish them off it’s definitely empty stats. You do realize someone can play well and also have empty stats, right? Why the fuck are you so defensive about Dak lol? I’ll never understand it. 

By that premise all stats that take place in a loss are by definition empty. If that's the case this binary designation of empty or what "useful??" stats is fucking dumb and meaningless.  I'll ask you the same question in reverse. Why is it so difficult for you to give this guy any credit without trying to make some diminishing or qualifying point about his play?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Everyone thought that ball had no chance of going 10 yards at first. Atlanta certainly should have pounced when it started to turn upfield but anytime you can cause hesitation or uncertainty on a play like that you're giving yourself an advantage, however slight it may be. 

Edited by TornACL

6 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I don't think there were any onside recoveries last year in the NFL unless I misheard. 

I heard 10% from the Ticket, but I looked it up and 10% is all time success rate onside recoveries.  Since the rule change it's basically zero.  There was 1 out of 29 in 2019, so yeah I guess the strategy is just to pray the other team screws up.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I give him a ton of credit and was rooting him on hard yesterday. Being a major contributing factor in spotting the opposition 20 points so you can air it out in a furious comeback in a game that you statistically lose 99.8% of the time (but don’t because of a fluky ST play) is the very fucking definition of “empty stats game”. 

Thats fair, claiming he was directly responsible for losing the game is what drew me offside. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Everyone thought that ball had no chance of going 10 yards at first. Atlanta certainly should have pounced when it started to turn upfield but anytime you can cause hesitation or uncertainty on a play like that you're giving yourself an advantage, however slight it may be. 

Has the team came out and said that the logic behind it was to confuse ATL?  That's obviously what happened, but I was just curious if that was there actual strategy behind it.  My point was mainly based on the fact that I thought 10% of new rule onside kicks were successful which isn't true.  I heard that on the Ticket and when I looked it up 10% is the all time success rate which is different than 1 of 29 onside recoveries for 2019.  If 10% were the actual success rate I think that would have been a horrible strategy for onside kicks, but with it being 1 out of 29 under the new rules, the strategy is just to pray.

53 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

One of the rule changes on kickoffs is that the kicking team cannot move until the ball is actually kicked.  He kicked it this way to allow his team to get up to the 7-10 yard area where either 1) a Falcons player touches the ball before 10 yards and doesn't recover it giving the Cowboys a chance to pounce on a live ball, or 2) The Falcons go completely braindead and allow it to turn uphill and get to 10 yards where a Cowboys player pounces on a now live ball.  

It's much harder to do the old high bounce kick and get your players 15 yards downfield without the ball either going out of bounds or the receiving team fielding the ball well before you are able to get there to make a play on it.  

If the ball doesn't turn up field and get to 10 yards (which is likely what the Atlanta players were thinking) then it's a dead ball, 5 yard penalty for illegal kick.  If they jump on the ball before 10 yards, they better make damn well sure they field it cleanly.  

There is no excuse on earth for them to have sat there and watched it once it was fairly apparent it was going to get to 10 yards.  

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

By that premise all stats that take place in a loss are by definition empty. If that's the case this binary designation of empty or what "useful??" stats is fucking dumb and meaningless.  I'll ask you the same question in reverse. Why is it so difficult for you to give this guy any credit without trying to make some diminishing or qualifying point about his play?

I would say it’s more case by case. If we lost that game 39-24 and Dak didn’t have two of his rushing tds, he would’ve still had a great game. But that’s definitely an empty stats game. This was arguably the strangest football game I’ve ever seen in my life. A lot had to happen in order for us to win. One of the dominos that had to fall was Dak needed to play out of his mind. But it was one domino. Just to be clear, you do realize I think Dak is a good qb right? I don’t look at you as Dak apologist Drew. I feel like I have a pretty reasonable opinion of Dak the player, and it’s definitely not set in stone. It’s ever changing. He played well yesterday when we needed him to. 

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

The people saying an Atlanta player should have just pounced on the ball before it went 10 yards don’r remember Leon Lett vs the Dolphins on Thanksgiving, do they?

I was going to bring this point up yesterday. It’s easy to play arm chair qb and say the falcons players should’ve just jumped on the ball, but when you look at it from the cowboys side line that was of the greatest onside kicks ever. From that angle it looked like there were only two options. Either it’s going to roll out of bounds or stop short of 10 yards. The fact that he put that kind of spin on it, and kept it in bounds says a lot more about the kick. Atlanta special teams are getting killed today, and I get it, but that was a great fucking kick. It probably won’t ever work again (for anyone) but in that moment it was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was going to bring this point up yesterday. It’s easy to play arm chair qb and say the falcons players should’ve just jumped on the ball, but when you look at it from the cowboys side line that was of the greatest onside kicks ever. From that angle it looked like there were only two options. Either it’s going to roll out of bounds or stop short of 10 yards. The fact that he put that kind of spin on it, and kept it in bounds says a lot more about the kick. Atlanta special teams are getting killed today, and I get it, but that was a great fucking kick. It probably won’t ever work again (for anyone) but in that moment it was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Especially considering how various rules changes have basically eliminated successful onside kicks... it was fucking sweet.

Don't think it would spin like that on natural grass, either. 

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Especially considering how various rules changes have basically eliminated successful onside kicks... it was fucking sweet.

Don't think it would spin like that on natural grass, either. 

IT would be interesting.  It may actually take the turn towards the line to gain faster than on turf, which would have made it easier for ATL to jump on it before the Cowboys players got there.  

I haven't rewatched the game to confirm, but Junior Miller mentioned in the post game that when the ball was initially kicked one of the Atlanta players waved his teammates back as if to say "let it go". The player who did this just so happened to have gone to Yale. Football players in these odd or atypical situations tend to listen to the "smart guy" in the room. And a podcast I listen to mentioned that Atlanta called a timeout after Zuerlein first placed the ball on the ground without a tee. What was said during the timeout? No one will admit it, but I can just about guarantee you they told the team not to touch the ball thinking it wouldn't go 10 yards.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t understand this. It was right there for the Falcons’ taking, and it wasn’t a tough ball to just grab. It was an extremely easy, slower spinner. Falcons froze because they were poorly trained. You never let a ball get past 7-8 yards unless you’re sure it’s going out of bounds. Particularly when it’s a slower spinner. 

I’m not sure I have ever seen anyone kick a slow spinner before.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t understand this. It was right there for the Falcons’ taking, and it wasn’t a tough ball to just grab. It was an extremely easy, slower spinner. Falcons froze because they were poorly trained. You never let a ball get past 7-8 yards unless you’re sure it’s going out of bounds. Particularly when it’s a slower spinner. 

I mean you obviously aren’t wrong, but from Atlanta’s hands team vantage point, touching the ball was the only chance we had. It looked 100% like that ball was stopping short or going straight out of bounds. They should’ve jumped on it, but I kinda understand why they didn’t in the moment. I’ve never seen an onside kick take a turn like that and I can understand why they wouldn’t expect for that to happen, even with the spin.