Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep he sure did. He also converted the 2pt conversion to tie up the Packers playoff game. He is dangerous when he runs. He isn't fast or shifty but he runs with a purpose and he's big. I gave no idea why we do not utilize this more. We seemed to more in his rookie year. He's very effective when he runs.

Last week against the Rams he picked up a 1st or damn near on a 3rd and long to salvage that drive. Where is the misdirection to make the defense respect him keeping the ball and running? You can do so much from this. Hand it to Zeke, keep the ball and pass or keep the ball and run. Dak works the best when it is quick reads and play actions. Quit making him some drop back passer and scanning the field the whole play. Never was that and never will be. Yet the Cowboys staff tries to make him this and then he is judged on this shit which is not his strengths.

People think Dak is way more athletic than he actually is. He ran like a 4.8 forty at the combine which puts him behind QBs like David Carr, Justin Herbert, Carsen Wentz, & Mitch Trubisky,  and in the range of guys like Kirk Cousins. Yeah he’s sturdy and seems to be smart about quickly getting north when scrambling, but he really ain't the runner people make him out to be. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

People think Dak is way more athletic than he actually is. He ran like a 4.8 forty at the combine which puts him behind QBs like David Carr, Justin Herbert, Carsen Wentz, & Mitch Trubisky,  and in the range of guys like Kirk Cousins. Yeah he’s sturdy and seems to be smart about quickly getting north when scrambling, but he really ain't the runner people make him out to be. 

That is why I said he is not fast or shifty. But when he runs, it is effective. We don't need or want him to be like Vick and RG3 running out there. But making him a pure drop back passer is fucking insane and inept on this staff. The point of a coaching staff is to utilize every player to their strengths. 

In fact, I think the entire defense is playing out of position. This is not a 3-4 defense at all.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

That is why I said he is not fast or shifty. But when he runs, it is effective. We don't need or want him to be like Vick and RG3 running out there. But making him a pure drop back passer is fucking insane and inept on this staff. The point of a coaching staff is to utilize every player to their strengths. 

In fact, I think the entire defense is playing out of position. This is not a 3-4 defense at all.

They need to go out and sign Snacks Harrison. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He picked up a big 3rd &14 first down with his feet in a clutch situation in the playoff win over Seattle a few years back.  I wanna say he had 1 or 2 against Green Bay in the playoffs as well. 

That was on a designed run, if I’m not mistaken. That looked like a qb draw all the way. I’m talking about him dropping back, looking at his first read on 3rd down, realizing “hey, I can just get this first now without even going though the rest of my progressions”, and running. Russ does that so often and it’s maddening when you’re playing against him or betting against the Seahawks. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Maybe it was merely an isolated freak deal but I’ve seen enough evidence that Dak presides over sloppy play entirely too much. He needs to be a cocksucker sometimes. Again I’m surprised this is even controversial. I’m not saying it’s all his fault. I’m saying the unit he’s most in control of needs to get its shit together. Yesterday wasn’t on McCarthy, Fassell or the D. It was on the offense. 

Doubling down on stupid. But this is par for the course for you. Offense scores 40 points in 3 quarters. Defense only play of the entire game was a sack. They dropped 2 picks and absolutely did zero. They gave up 39 points. Our of position all day. People running free in the secondary for easy pitch and catch. You make no fucking sense at all. What is Dak going to do "hey guys don't fumble!! Please don't fumble". It isn't controversial. People have a problem with it because it makes no sense. At all.

For you to say Dak is in control of other players fumbling and the offense was the biggest issue of the game when the defense was beyond piss poor shows how big of a dumb ass you are. But you continue being you. I can't wait until next week to see what Dak is in control of that he needs to fix. And how a defense giving up 39 and making zero plays is not an issue in a football game is no big deal.

Edited by Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I'm just going to vehemently disagree about it being empty stats.  If the final is 39-24? Yeah I can see that.  but not at 39-37 where he was DIRECTLY responsible for every single point scored either on his own, or making plays to get them in FG range for for Zekes lone TD.

People stills saying "he's just not the guy" after yesterday are just blind and/or biased.

A couple of things. Atlanta had to have a colossal fuck up of a game for us to even remotely come close to getting back in the game. This loss is in Atlanta. Dak had a great game, but Atlanta did everything in their power to lose that game. Had they even done a third of the things they could’ve done to win this game, then the score isn’t anywhere close to 39-37. So let’s start there. But they did all of the things they needed to do to lose the game, and Dak did everything in his power to get us back in the game. Also, I’m not blaming him for anything other than that fumble (which was a fucking horrible/avoidable turnover, by the way) but everything else was good to great. Just because I thought they would’ve been empty stats doesn’t mean i don’t think Dak played great. I’m just saying he had a lot of games like that last year where we had to come from behind, and it really did a nice job of padding our offenses (and his) stats. It looked like that was where we were headed yesterday, but we won. 

As for the bold, you’re talking to 2 MAYBE 3 people. Stop bringing it up lol. My only contention was I didn’t want to bend a knee and pay him whatever the hell him and his agent wanted. He isn’t that good of a qb to warrant that type of negotiation. But he’s improving, and if he’s adding the running to his game, there’s no doubt we need to get him signed long term. I just don’t know if it’ll actually happen if we don’t win some playoff games this year, whether that’s Dak’s fault or not. 

Interesting stat: Dak is 4-1 in his career when throwing for 400+.

Historically throwing for 400+ is a losing stat because it often happens in games like yesterday when you're playing from behind for most of the game. 

For comparison Romo was 0-5 in 400+ yard games. I actually think this is more of an example of how much the league has changed in just the last 6 years as opposed to anything Dak is doing differently than Romo. A QB is more apt to throw for 400+ yards in the natural course of today's game compared to before when that type of effort usually came in a desperate attempt to get back in the game. Basically more games today are played like that Peyton vs Romo match up back in the day when they both went over 400+ yards. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Interesting stat: Dak is 4-1 in his career when throwing for 400+.

Historically throwing for 400+ is a losing stat because it often happens in games like yesterday when you're playing from behind for most of the game. 

For comparison Romo was 0-5 in 400+ yard games. I actually think this is more of an example of how much the league has changed in just the last 6 years as opposed to anything Dak is doing differently than Romo. A QB is more apt to throw for 400+ yards in the natural course of today's game compared to before when that type of effort usually came in a desperate attempt to get back in the game. Basically more games today are played like that Peyton vs Romo match up back in the day when they both went over 400+ yards. 

That’s crazy because the main 400 yard game i remember from him is the Vikings game from last year where we lost. But the losses have always stuck with me more than the wins because I enjoy being miserable apparently.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

the issue with this team is everybody, it just depends on the week.  we can't get both sides of the ball to play well in games.  I'd take Avg O/Great D or Great D/Avg O but we get Shitty O/great D or Great O/Shitty D way to damn often. and then there are the shitty/shitty games a couple times a year.

I was hoping McCarthy would be able to smooth that out.  remains to be seen but early returns are not encouraging even with no preseason.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Doubling down on stupid. But this is par for the course for you. Offense scores 40 points in 3 quarters. Defense only play of the entire game was a sack. They dropped 2 picks and absolutely did zero. They gave up 39 points. Our of position all day. People running free in the secondary for easy pitch and catch. You make no fucking sense at all. What is Dak going to do "hey guys don't fumble!! Please don't fumble". It isn't controversial. People have a problem with it because it makes no sense. At all.

For you to say Dak is in control of other players fumbling and the offense was the biggest issue of the game when the defense was beyond piss poor shows how big of a dumb ass you are. But you continue being you. I can't wait until next week to see what Dak is in control of that he needs to fix. And how a defense giving up 39 and making zero plays is not an issue in a football game is no big deal.

The Dak resides

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

i brought this up after Nolan was named DC and suggested the Cowboys were likely to commit the same blunder as the big flounder did, by scrapping the old d and transitioning to a predominantly 3-4 style that would take years to stock up with the right players. It was not a popular observation, but seems like a correct one.

i brought this up after Nolan was named DC and suggested the Cowboys were likely to commit the same blunder as the big flounder did, by scrapping the old d and transitioning to a predominantly 3-4 style that would take years to stock up with the right players. It was not a popular observation, but seems like a correct one.

Could’ve sworn he’s coached a 4-3 before, just not nearly as much as 3-4. Maybe I’m wrong.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Could’ve sworn he’s coached a 4-3 before, just not nearly as much as 3-4. Maybe I’m wrong.

As I explained back then, yes, he did back in his very early days, but switched way back. He has since coached in 4-3 systems, but not as the DC with his own scheme. Prior to those jobs, his run of success as a DC had pretty much faded badly.

Edited by DougO

Some opinions from the All-22.

Also here, Joe Thomas, who had a good game, follows  his key (FB) and takes himself out of the play.  Nice play by Diggs as Griffin gets doubled and Jaylon sort of runs right into the combo block.

Hmmm....

So this is a fun thread..... Griffin sees it and gets pissed and they have an exchange.  It's a very fair assessment by Cavanaugh and also it's fair that Griffin is feeling improvement without a full TC and thinks better days are ahead.

Absolutely.  Brown wasn't great but Lewis just seems like a bad pick at this point.  Too bad, thought he could end up being a good slot cb.

Agree with this.  For a rookie, I've been impressed by Diggs.  He'll have all the rookie ups and downs, probably a couple of games where he picked on and blows coverages but he's active in coverage and in the run.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Defense has potential to get better but I'm not holding out any real hope. With OL looking mostly like shit too, I'm seeing another 8-8, with a possibility of winning the East because the rest of the teams suck donkeyballs.

The OL is missing 2 starters who should eventually come back.  Not sure why the OL is the position group that has you downgrading season.  There are a shitload of other options to base that opinion on, but IMO Oline is 3rd to only WRs and DL in terms of which is best situated at this point in the season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The OL is missing 2 starters who should eventually come back.  Not sure why the OL is the position group that has you downgrading season.  There are a shitload of other options to base that opinion on, but IMO Oline is 3rd to only WRs and DL in terms of which is best situated at this point in the season.  

I think there's a lot of question marks.  Collins injury continues to be a mystery.  Tyron's "neck" issue which are stingers apparently could be associative to his back problems.  Hopefully not.  Connor continues to underwhelm and where is McGovern?  I think Knight played better this week but how much of that had to do with Tak getting injured?  At full strength I don't think it's a bad group, probably has top 10 potential but there are cracks showing and it's getting old.  Knight could end up being a nice swing tackle if he continues to develop so that's good news.

I'd say top 3 units:  WRs, QB, and RBs.  LOL!!!!  Don't think we've proven to be good in the trenches yet.

IF the DL starts to assert itself, I'll feel a lot better.  Even with the backend playing poorly.

OL needs to get healthy.  Simple as that.

BTW, while I FULLY expect Russ to absolutely cook the defense, and they'll win by 10 or more...I don't think this week is the slam dunk most do.  The Seattle defense isn't very good either(some metrics say worst than Dallas if you can believe it), and you know Dallas picks about 1 game a year to walk in on the road and steal from someone they shouldn't. Why not this week?

In the end, I thin Russ is just playing too well and makes the plays he always seems to make to win, so no, I'm not picking Dallas to win.  But I think it'll be a tougher game than some do.  Of course they can't have 2 turnovers too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Availability, coachable, mechanics, and leadership. 
Apart from mechanics (coaching plays a role in this) what does Dak lack?

Big wins. Fairly or unfairly it will always be on the QB.

Wins that count. That’s it. 
he’s probably one of the best men y’all would ever meet. 
the sad truth is, the fact we are having this debate bc he isn’t Troy.

I love Romo but he didn’t win shit when it counted.

Dak ain’t the problem. Double fucking J is. 

Wentz is about to be run out of town. To be fair (fuck the Eagles and I have a way more personal reason to hate their fans) but the fans wanting Wentz gone have a point. Foles won the Super Bowl and Wentz isn’t anything close to what I said above.

JJ is the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw another tweet from Griffen where he told JC to “keep my game out of your mouth.” 

Does he know what team he plays for lol? If you aren’t playing up to your potential on this team, a lot of people are going to talk about you. This ain’t Minnesota where you’re going to just go under the radar if you’re bringing nothing to the table. 

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

My kiddo was watching cowboy 'errors' tonight and had a great question that I didn't know. Leon Lett.

Maybe I could find it online maybe not. What was his sat score and his wonderic? Because got damn he did some dumb shit but the good outweighed the bad.

God bless that man

'93 Dolphins

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

My kiddo was watching cowboy 'errors' tonight and had a great question that I didn't know. Leon Lett.

Maybe I could find it online maybe not. What was his sat score and his wonderic? Because got damn he did some dumb shit but the good outweighed the bad.

He's on the coaching staff so he can't be all that dumb. Not that you have to be a genius to be an NFL assistant coach, but you need some semblance of intelligence. A few high profile brain farts shouldn't define a man's overall intelligence. 

• Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

He's on the coaching staff so he can't be all that dumb. Not that you have to be a genius to be an NFL assistant coach, but you need some semblance of intelligence. A few high profile brain farts shouldn't define a man's overall intelligence. 

How about attending college at emporia state?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How about attending college at emporia state?

He later earned a degree from UNLV. A lot of teenagers are bad at school and have to go the JUCO route. Again, I'm not saying he's a genius, but he seems to have his shit together and valued education enough to earn a degree later in life, and is now coaching in the NFL. Plus he's the Big Cat, love that guy.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/the-big-cat-earns-his-sheepskin/1891916/

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We are in major trouble in the secondary..... And we're facing Russ and a DE playing WR and who runs like a gazelle.

Apparently playing football has a bigger impact on players missing multiple weeks than Covid. Who would’ve thunk it....

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Additionally, certainly good that Dickson won special teams player of the week but how does Greg the Leg not win it. that onsides kick was genius and then the 46 yarder to win it on a win it or lose it kick.

Additionally, certainly good that Dickson won special teams player of the week but how does Greg the Leg not win it. that onsides kick was genius and then the 46 yarder to win it on a win it or lose it kick.
Maybe because it was the easiest kick ever to recover but they were too fucking stupid to jump on it.

3 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Maybe because it was the easiest kick ever to recover but they were too fucking stupid to jump on it.

or maybe they were "I BEEN HYPMOTIZED!" by it.

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I do not think it was genius. It was a terrible kick in theory. It rolled another 4 yards because the Falcons players were dumb asses. 

But the game winner was clutch. It was not some gimme, especially for him.

16 hours ago, markstanco said:

Your kiddo would do better to ask someone that can at least spell the name of the test correctly.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We are in major trouble in the secondary..... And we're facing Russ and a DE playing WR and who runs like a gazelle.

Russ is gonna throw 6 TD this week to 6 different people. 

DK, Lockett, Swaim, Dissly, Carson, Olsen.

or maybe 4 to DK and 2 to Lockett

Diggs gonna pick off Dak and end that streak

• Hook 'Em 1