Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a good representation of a tier one quarterback and a fraudulent one.  the fact that dak wants tier one money shows anyone with anything resembling a brain that he’s little more than a greedy cunt who puts himself and his ego before his team.  he’s not anywhere close to the player that russell wilson is (or any other tier one quarterback) and he certainly doesn’t deserve to be paid like an elite player at his position.  if he would just take what he is worth I would have no problem with him. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, futureman said:

what a good representation of a tier one quarterback and a fraudulent one.  the fact that dak wants tier one money shows anyone with anything resembling a brain that he’s little more than a greedy cunt who puts himself and his ego before his team.  he’s not anywhere close to the player that russell wilson is (or any other tier one quarterback) and he certainly doesn’t deserve to be paid like an elite player at his position.  if he would just take what he is worth I would have no problem with him. 

What is he worth? (numbers please)

6 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

What is he worth? (numbers please)

anywhere from 20-30 a year.  middle of the road starter money. 

if he had any playoff success at all he could definitely ask for more.

but he’s had no playoff success

Edited by futureman

That Jerry jones sideshow carnival barker/circus organizational atmosphere sure leads to crazy and entertaining games. They find crazy ways to fuck up and lose as well as insane ways to steal a game here and there but just will never have the consistent discipline to ever win it all. But they are fun to watch when they cut loose and play all over the place like today and last week. 

5 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

That Jerry jones sideshow carnival barker/circus organizational atmosphere sure leads to crazy and entertaining games. They find crazy ways to fuck up and lose as well as insane ways to steal a game here and there but just will never have the consistent discipline to ever win it all. But they are fun to watch when they cut loose and play all over the place like today and last week. 

Veering wildly to 8-8 or whatever .500 ends up being this fucked up year.

17 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Our defense has given up 78 points the last two games. 

Some fuckups by offense and special teams for sure but they suck.

Special teams cost us a minimum of 4 points tonight.  Defense is decimated, the secondary is a turn style and our OL is a sieve..... Oh, and the coaching has been bottom 10 in the league at least.  We're very lucky not to be 0-3 and amazingly, I think we're the best team in the division.  Top 2 certainly.  Pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dak is one of the positives of the team. 

Connor William's and McGovern are busts. LVE is gonna be injured his whole career and Jaylon Smith and DeMarcus Lawrence are overpaid.

Jaylon Smith is a below average linebacker and Lawrence has 0 sacks this year. Aldon Smith this year and Robert Quinn last year has been better than Lawrence.

Aldon Smith is the best player on defense and he hasn't played football in 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Special teams cost us a minimum of 4 points tonight.  Defense is decimated, the secondary is a turn style and our OL is a sieve..... Oh, and the coaching has been bottom 10 in the league at least.  We're very lucky not to be 0-3 and amazingly, I think we're the best team in the division.  Top 2 certainly.  Pathetic.

we knew the D was going to be bad/below average.  the O and ST can't put them in bad spots and give away points.  I'm fine with Nolan being fired.

which is so meaningful, right?  so many valid conclusions to be drawn from this. 

When you’re always playing from behind, you’re going to throw a lot. I don’t blame Dak for today — LB and secondary was atrocious and special teams looked about like ours yesterday — but he made some rock head throws in this game. Be very easily could’ve had a couple more balls picked off.

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What's going on with Pollard? Last week I thought it was an aberration or poor decision making that led to him bringing the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs. This week he attempted to do it again. Is Fassel telling him to return it everytime or what? What tha fuck is up with him. 

At first i thought he lost sight of the ball after he touched it, possibly looking downfield.  Then on the replay, he appears to be gathering his whole body into the endzone so he can recover the ball for a touchback.  Then he realizes the ball is in the field of play and has to fold his tent real quicklike.  Regardless, as a professional, he shouldn't be going through that whole process.  be fucking smarter and don't destroy your team's chances like that.

13 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Made big mistakes giving Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, and Zeke big deals.

Even though our OL is below average the passing game is top 5 in football.

I'd leave Jaylon out of that list. He only got 19 million in guarantees and can be cut next year for a minimal cap hit. 

The last 2 years Zeke has only been paid 6.3 million, 10.9 million. He only due 13.7 for 2021 and can be cut in 2022 for cap savings of 5.7 mil. Other than his droppsies, he's playing a lot faster and much closer to his first couple years. Not even close to an albatross contract. 

Lawerence on the hand, at least he can be cut after the 2022 season for cap savings of 18 million.  

49 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I'd leave Jaylon out of that list. He only got 19 million in guarantees and can be cut next year for a minimal cap hit. 

The last 2 years Zeke has only been paid 6.3 million, 10.9 million. He only due 13.7 for 2021 and can be cut in 2022 for cap savings of 5.7 mil. Other than his droppsies, he's playing a lot faster and much closer to his first couple years. Not even close to an albatross contract. 

Lawerence on the hand, at least he can be cut after the 2022 season for cap savings of 18 million.  

On all these "cap savings" how much dead money in each year is added to the team's cap total in order to get these "savings"? To me it's not savings when you cut a guy and he's still counting towards your cap total even if he's counting less than if you kept him. You have zero production but still a cost to absorb so no savings it's just you're absorbing cap hits to make a guy go away. 

Just now, gsoda3 said:
6 hours ago, youdunnf said:
Pretty much the entire internet is shitting on Trysten Hill for that bush league gator role while holding Carson’s knee. It was definitely a dirty play

What he did was a pretty textbook rugby roll tackle. Highly dangerous when it's just one appendage though.

Im not gonna send here and pretend like I think it’s a huge deal, but there were plenty of people on this board and the cowboys Reddit that said it wasn’t dirty. It was pretty fucking dirty, especially since it resulted in an injury. It is what it is, but call a spade a spade lol. It was definitely dirty.

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

On all these "cap savings" how much dead money in each year is added to the team's cap total in order to get these "savings"? To me it's not savings when you cut a guy and he's still counting towards your cap total even if he's counting less than if you kept him. You have zero production but still a cost to absorb so no savings it's just you're absorbing cap hits to make a guy go away. 

It makes no difference how much dead money is factored into the "savings". The money is already gone, it's salary or dead money. The team's main question when making that decision is could this "savings" money be allocated in a better or more productive way with another player(s)? That's it. If the answer is no, and there's no future concerns like age or injury history, then they are likely to keep the player. 

In the case of Lawrence, unless he turns things around, 18 million is a nice big chunk of change to spend elsewhere. Especially for resigning someone like Aldon and Gregory (if he get's his life in order). 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It makes no difference how much dead money is factored into the "savings". The money is already gone, it's salary or dead money. The team's main question when making that decision is could this "savings" money be allocated in a better or more productive way with another player(s)? That's it. If the answer is no, and there's no future concerns like age or injury history, then they are likely to keep the player. 

In the case of Lawrence, unless he turns things around, 18 million is a nice big chunk of change to spend elsewhere. Especially for resigning someone like Aldon and Gregory (if he get's his life in order). 

When you make these bad contracts on these players and end up having to cut several of them before the contract is through that dead money adds up and restricts your ability to replace those players with quality. That's why I don't look at it as savings because you are still paying a price for a player who is no longer on your team and that price restricts your ability to bring in a talented player to replace him. 

If you never signed that bad contract in the first place you wouldn't have any dead money lowering your usable cap. 

So you're lessening your cap hit by cutting a player and not saving anything. You're just saying what you agreed to pay this player is too high for the player's current value to you so you're willing to take a reduced hit to release the player and replace him. But you're still taking a hit not saving anything. 

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

When you make these bad contracts on these players and end up having to cut several of them before the contract is through that dead money adds up and restricts your ability to replace those players with quality. That's why I don't look at it as savings because you are still paying a price for a player who is no longer on your team and that price restricts your ability to bring in a talented player to replace him. 

If you never signed that bad contract in the first place you wouldn't have any dead money lowering your usable cap. 

So you're lessening your cap hit by cutting a player and not saving anything. You're just saying what you agreed to pay this player is too high for the player's current value to you so you're willing to take a reduced hit to release the player and replace him. But you're still taking a hit not saving anything. 

The "savings" being discussed here is the difference between the cap hit with the player on the team vs being cut from the team.  So by definition the savings are a net benefit that gives you the ability to add more players by cutting a guy who would take up a larger % of your salary cap if he remained on the team.  

Defense through three games:
32.3 Points per game 31st
404 yds/game 25th
9:1 TD:INT ratio 32nd
65% completion 17th
114.1 QB Rating 31st
2 Takeaways T-23rd
6 sacks T-16th
46.8% 3rd Down Conversion 23rd
100% 4th Down Conversion (4 for 4) 29th
1214 Total Yards 26th
Defense TOP/DR 3:09 24th
42.25 yards/punt 27th

This defense is so fucking bad. Pretty said when a player out of the league for years is far and away your best player. They don't do anything well except suck. How many people right after we took a 1pt lead was like "just let them score quick"...That sums up this defense. We know they are going to suck. It's just best they do it quickly.

PPG, TD/INT ratio, QB rating all are at the very bottom. That is a recipe for disaster.

This secondary might be one of the worst I have ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Defense through three games:
32.3 Points per game 31st
404 yds/game 25th
9:1 TD:INT ratio 32nd
65% completion 17th
114.1 QB Rating 31st
2 Takeaways T-23rd
6 sacks T-16th
46.8% 3rd Down Conversion 23rd
100% 4th Down Conversion (4 for 4) 29th
1214 Total Yards 26th
Defense TOP/DR 3:09 24th
42.25 yards/punt 27th

This defense is so fucking bad. Pretty said when a player out of the league for years is far and away your best player. They don't do anything well except suck. How many people right after we took a 1pt lead was like "just let them score quick"...That sums up this defense. We know they are going to suck. It's just best they do it quickly.

PPG, TD/INT ratio, QB rating all are at the very bottom. That is a recipe for disaster.

I said in the game thread if they get past the 50 let them score.   it wasn't really in jest.  with our crappy OL we were going to need as much time as possible to score and go for a 2 pointer to win it. 

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

As mentioned above, Cap Savings includes the dead money. 

Hey wonder what could help here? Oh yeah, a really good safety. But what does the front office say? This isn't Mike saying this. This was Stephen Jones saying it first and its just being parroted by Mike. Earl is having a workout with Houston. Fucking joke. One of the worst defenses I have ever seen and they are doing zero to try and salvage it. We like our guys...

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hey wonder what could help here? Oh yeah, a really good safety. But what does the front office say? This isn't Mike saying this. This was Stephen Jones saying it first and its just being parroted by Mike. Earl is having a workout with Houston. Fucking joke. One of the worst defenses I have ever seen and they are doing zero to try and salvage it. We like our guys...

I can’t decide if it’s (1) we can’t afford (2) we don’t value the position Or both 

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

When will Tyron Smith be back? 

Maybe next week but more probable in 2.  

This sounds bad..... I'm not counting on him the ROS.  He may need surgery.

We're in some serious shit on the OL.  There's a chance we don't have either OT for the rest of the season or certainly high risk of re-injury.  Looney has sucked the last couple of games.  Steele apparently had the flu and might explain his struggles yesterday.  He got pulled late and Martin had to kick out to tackle.  This kid may need to step up.  

I think Martin may have to stay out at RT but that's an issue because even if Biadasz can handle the C job, we'd be weak at RG with Looney.  McGovern looks like a wasted pick.  The OL is a fucking train wreck.

The other problem:

Bright spots:

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I can’t decide if it’s (1) we can’t afford (2) we don’t value the position Or both 

We can definitely afford it.

We just don't value the safety position. At all. Which is why we had Heath as a starter here for years.They don't value DTs, either. They try and go cheap at both positions and it rears its head every single year. Seattle's safeties when it was Kam and Earl Thomas was a big reason why their secondary was some of the best as a unit in the modern day NFL. You can be much more aggressive at the DB position when you know you have safeties behind you that will be doing their assignments and will be able to help you. Our safeties are never in position to do shit and they are slow. Which is why we see WRs running free every week. 

Roy Williams was 10x better than what we have now and he was just average at the very best.

8 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I hate this front office.

It works for me. Two NFL teams in Texas both run by imbeciles. It could be worse...we could have the two NY teams? At least Dallas has a good shot of winning the division. The only hope I have is that we will be better later in the season? I don’t know. Tonite we are about to see two very good teams with great front offices play on MNF. Hating this front office is what I have. It works for me. Lol.

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I hate this front office.

At what point do we hold Will McClay accountable? For whatever reason, he is praised as some genius. So many fucking misses in these drafts. Especially in the high rounds. Our first round picks from 2017 and 2018 are useless. One isn't even here and the other is not long for this game. 2nd round picks over the years? Gregory, Jaylon, Connor Williams, Awuzie. These guys aren't good and some of them fucking suck. And not only that, some of the talent we passed on that we really needed. Taco over JJ Watt. Passing on some good safety talent over the years. Ignoring getting a replacement for Tyron knowing the mileage on him and he's breaking down. Going all in draft capital and money capital on trying to build some great OL. That has blown up in their face. This OL has been good in 2016. Since then, it has been downhill. This front office has no idea how to allocate their resources. They also stick with guys way too long and love the "we love our guys" mantra and re-sign our own spares. Instead of hitting the market and getting impact players that yes, will cost more, we love to bargain shop and getting a handful of spare parts. We love to plug and play too much on the defense and expect these spare parts to fit.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

At what point do we hold Will McClay accountable? For whatever reason, he is praised as some genius. So many fucking misses in these drafts. Especially in the high rounds. Our first round picks from 2017 and 2018 are useless. One isn't even here and the other is not long for this game. 2nd round picks over the years? Gregory, Jaylon, Connor Williams, Awuzie. These guys aren't good and some of them fucking suck. And not only that, some of the talent we passed on that we really needed. Taco over JJ Watt. Passing on some good safety talent over the years. Ignoring getting a replacement for Tyron knowing the mileage on him and he's breaking down. Going all in draft capital and money capital on trying to build some great OL. That has blown up in their face. This OL has been good in 2016. Since then, it has been downhill. This front office has no idea how to allocate their resources. They also stick with guys way too long and love the "we love our guys" mantra and re-sign our own spares. Instead of hitting the market and getting impact players that yes, will cost more, we love to bargain shop and getting a handful of spare parts. We love to plug and play too much on the defense and expect these spare parts to fit.

Beats me. I've been calling him out on CZ for a couple of years. Next one is Gallimore over Jordan Elliott. They're already calling him a future pro bowler in Cleveland.

The Cowboys have a lot to fix, but I have to repeat and even further emphasize one major positive. They have done a far better job adjusting to the mass of injuries on their OL. Even in-game injuries, they're shifting people around, have rookies and UDFA guys stepping in and holding up fairly well without having to totally cripple the offense. That's a major difference from the previous regime.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This secondary couldn't cover rock with paper.

I love watching Russell Wilson work. He throws as beautiful a deep ball as any. But some of his targets were absurdly open.

Same for Atlanta and Matt Ryan. I think three of Ryan's first four TD passes against Dallas were busted coverages. Opposing QBs are essentially competing against air right now.

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The "savings" being discussed here is the difference between the cap hit with the player on the team vs being cut from the team.  So by definition the savings are a net benefit that gives you the ability to add more players by cutting a guy who would take up a larger % of your salary cap if he remained on the team.  

I know exactly what it is I'm just saying that's a terrible term because the team isn't saving anything. They are just cutting a player to lessen the cap hit of that player but it doesn't eliminate it, and they no longer have the player so they are taking a hit but getting zero service. That's the opposite of savings. But anyway it's not a big deal just a pet peeve of mine when hearing that term in this instance.