The Boat battle on Lake Travis (no politics)

JimmyJames

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Apparently everybody was anchored down.  Travis County Sheriff's Office said "no foul play suspected...FOR NOW"  

Totally foreseeable once you hear how many boats moving across the lake at the same time.  LT is narrow, rough and a wash cycle when dozens of boats go the same way at the same time.  This was worse.  

18 minutes ago, troph said:

Totally foreseeable once you hear how many boats moving across the lake at the same time.  LT is narrow, rough and a wash cycle when dozens of boats go the same way at the same time.  This was worse.  

What surprised me was seeing some of the larger boats going back against the flow after they got to wherever their parade finished, so they were creating problems for the boats that hadn't even finished their parade thing.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

What surprised me was seeing some of the larger boats going back against the flow after they got to wherever their parade finished, so they were creating problems for the boats that hadn't even finished their parade thing.

That was the parade route -Starnes island to point venture - turn around and go back. Idiotic. Truly.

• Haha 1

I was out in it. Buddy is a big Trump supporter. I went along for shits and giggles.

What happens when you have a shit load of big ass boats and 40+ foot yachts going 11 mph? Yes their asses sit deep in the water and the wakes are big as shit. Well, you get a shitton of boats together throwing big ass wakes and you have last Saturday. My buddy has a 27' boat. We were taking water over the bow. It was fucking narly for long stretches. I KNEW there would be reports of smaller (19' and less) boats sinking. Really surprised it was only 5.

There were stretches were we were constantly taking water over the bow. Fucking crazy. I imagine it was scary for the vast majority of people on that lake, and not just because of all the Trump flags.

13 hours ago, troph said:

Damn you're telling me it was avoidable just when I was starting to believe it was purposely instigated.

• Haha 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/innm9z/point_of_view_of_a_boat_sinking_lake_travis_trump/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

boat going the opposite direction fucked them. didn't help that this was probably an 17-18' boat (guessing from the outboard) also read that later in the parade, that boats coming back from the front cause a fucking dangerous nightmare as boats were swerving all over the place avoiding each other. 

look at the size of the waves/wakes. hearing the screams of "help us" brings it home. don't care where anyone leans on the political spectrum, it was painful to watch. also feel sorry for the sail boat that was anchored and had to endure about 1.5 hours of that shit. 

for most, that was a fun day on the lake turned dangerous. 

edit: just saw that was a video of a trump parade in portland. some stretches of the lake travis parade looked like that and worse.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Haha 1

Travis is a bit of nightmare on a holiday weekend as it is without the additional 200 boatfuls of yahoos on the water without any experience.  We're out on that lake almost every week from March to November, with the exception of holidays.   Any given weekend is bad enough after noon thanks to boat rental bros. 

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

Travis is a bit of nightmare on a holiday weekend as it is without the additional 200 boatfuls of yahoos on the water without any experience.  We're out on that lake almost every week from March to November, with the exception of holidays.   Any given weekend is bad enough after noon thanks to boat rental bros. 

if i had to guess, i would guess there was easily a thousand boats. it was backed up from the dam to emerald point. 

52 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah that wrecks shit on shore too.  

Just like the assholes who roar through flooded neighborhood streets in their jacked up never off the pavement 4x4  dually pickemup trucks that wash waves into all the houses, further destroying private property.

53 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I was out in it. Buddy is a big Trump supporter. I went along for shits and giggles.

What happens when you have a shit load of big ass boats and 40+ foot yachts going 11 mph? Yes their asses sit deep in the water and the wakes are big as shit. Well, you get a shitton of boats together throwing big ass wakes and you have last Saturday. My buddy has a 27' boat. We were taking water over the bow. It was fucking narly for long stretches. I KNEW there would be reports of smaller (19' and less) boats sinking. Really surprised it was only 5.

There were stretches were we were constantly taking water over the bow. Fucking crazy. I imagine it was scary for the vast majority of people on that lake, and not just because of all the Trump flags.

good to hear a first hand account.  I assume that a fair number of boats primarily used in lakes are not designed for choppy waves and their owners are clueless what to do. Hopefully some of the larger boats started to see what they were causing and adjusted. Somehow I doubt that as its easy to not pay attention what is happening behind you.

Even if enough boats are obeying the required/recommended speeds, they probably should have been going slower than the recommended speed.  Ever see several boats going a safe speed in canal, in a row? As a group, they can churn up the water pretty well especially if one of them is heavy and pushing a lot of water out of the way. 

Only directions were to cruise at 11 mph. If you were a big boat, the waves are nothing. Anything shorter than 21' and it was going to be a miserable day. Looking at the videos, not all sections of the parade were bad. We got there semi late coming from Lago Vista, we tried to go to the back of the line towards the dam. Prob 1/4 of the way trying to navigate through all the boats and seeing how far back it we, we said fuck it and stayed put the front. There were tons of big yachts around us. It was a miserable and some parts really unsafe hour. 

Didn't see any yachts giving a care about the waves or slowing down. If we didn't need to hurry back to our families at the lake house, we would've pulled off in a cove and waited out that shit.

So there was no instruction that 11mph for different sized craft would wildly effect the surface and smaller boats?  

It was just one blanket instruction and then everybody go get fucked?  

Edited by Lobo

23 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Only directions were to cruise at 11 mph. If you were a big boat, the waves are nothing. Anything shorter than 21' and it was going to be a miserable day. Looking at the videos, not all sections of the parade were bad. We got there semi late coming from Lago Vista, we tried to go to the back of the line towards the dam. Prob 1/4 of the way trying to navigate through all the boats and seeing how far back it we, we said fuck it and stayed put the front. There were tons of big yachts around us. It was a miserable and some parts really unsafe hour. 

Didn't see any yachts giving a care about the waves or slowing down. If we didn't need to hurry back to our families at the lake house, we would've pulled off in a cove and waited out that shit.

The class poetry of this is just perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So there was no instruction that 11mph for different sized craft would wildly effect the surface and smaller boats?  

We are spectacularly safe  on public roadways.  I'm sure it just miraculously improves in a fleet of boats on a relatively narrow waterway.

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

To be fair, the lady posted a FB event on the parade. Not sure much thought was given. Not sure who or where the 11MPH cruising speed rule came from. But that's what all the other boats around us were saying and that's what everyone did.

Edited by crash_davis

Isn't the whole point of a parade is to be on a "FLOAT"?  not a "SINK"?  

I think there's a big reason why large watercraft parades are rarely held on narrow freshwater bodies.  Particularly stupid people with alcohol.  

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Why would anyone want to get involved in that?

Do people really think Antifa has torpedoes?  Lulz. 

I guess they are hoping they don't have torpedos, so tired of being bested on land, they took the campaign to the open waters public lakes.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's a metaphor for the Haves and Have Nots. Rich/big boats gonna do their thing, Not Rich/small boats get lost in the wake.

Beyond class, it's a perfect metaphor for the asinine, toxic John Galt ethos -- the cult of the individual, at the complete and total disdain and expense of every other human being in our community - that is utterly corrosive and destructive to any functioning society.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

look at the size of the waves/wakes. hearing the screams of "help us" brings it home. don't care where anyone leans on the political spectrum, it was painful to watch. also feel sorry for the sail boat that was anchored and had to endure about 1.5 hours of that shit. 

for most, that was a fun day on the lake turned dangerous. 

edit: just saw that was a video of a trump parade in portland. some stretches of the lake travis parade looked like that and worse.

I'm not an expert on how to abandon ship but standing under the canopy, as it's going under, would seem to be the worst spot. jump away sooner even if the life jacket is in your hand.  You could get caught in ropes and equipment as it goes under.  Add some panic in the mix, and you could be in real trouble quickly. I think the 2 people in the canopy are extremely lucky to have made it out.

Love the guy that jumps off first, and appears to have zero fucks about who he's leaving behind. It would be nice to help others but he was right to jump before it went under, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/innm9z/point_of_view_of_a_boat_sinking_lake_travis_trump/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

boat going the opposite direction fucked them. didn't help that this was probably an 17-18' boat (guessing from the outboard) also read that later in the parade, that boats coming back from the front cause a fucking dangerous nightmare as boats were swerving all over the place avoiding each other. 

LOL @ "do you have the bilge pump on?". 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not an expert on how to abandon ship but standing under the canopy, as it's going under, would seem to be the worst spot. jump away sooner even if the life jacket is in your hand.  You could get caught in ropes and equipment as it goes under.  Add some panic in the mix, and you could be in real trouble quickly. I think the 2 people in the canopy are extremely lucky to have made it out.

Love the guy that jumps off first, and appears to have zero fucks about who he's leaving behind. It would be nice to help others but he was right to jump before it went under, IMO.

most people think boats take hours to sink like the titanic. nope, once that bilge fills up and any part of the boat goes below the water line, it's within seconds.

most people think boats take hours to sink like the titanic. nope, once that bilge fills up and any part of the boat goes below the water line, it's within seconds.

Yeah, you could see how quickly in that video things went from "hey, wave at the helicopters" to "fuck, we're going in the drink". 

At least the dumbasses who took part in this here in San Diego were mostly in ocean-going vessels. Some of these lake dipshits were overloading their flat-bottom ski boats with freeboards the height of 3 stacked phone books. What exactly did they expect? A nice leisurely cruise? I've owned a handful of ski boats; if anybody passes me within 100' when I'm moving slowly, there's a risk of taking water over the bow or stern.

Anyone know if Texas is mandating the same boater's license laws that California has been? They may have to now. Though, you can never truly fix stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13087432

in certain emergencies, if people are opting to not move, they get pushed along or out of the way.

[csb] I was lucky enough to to experience a Continental Airlines simulation of a plane evacuation that they gave to employees and key corporate customers. They told us to not be shy about pushing people especially idiots trying to grab their bags. It was interesting event. Interior of a 737 in a warehouse with smoke, noise, etc. You ran to the exit and slid down the chute.  We also were able to practice opening up the different emergency doors. Definitely better than working that day.

• Like 1